• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Nose over the edge always makes me nervous, even in the daytime. At night, I often hate it more than the trap.

And it doesn't help that there's JUST enough give in the brakes for the jet to rock back and forth a bit with the roll of the ship.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
So total random (and probably stupid!) question for those who have deployed on carriers: what kind of communication is available these days with those back home? Just the standard email or are there phone capabilities too? I'm coming from the 'back home' world of FFG deployments so the carrier concept is rather foreign. Thanks!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So total random (and probably stupid!) question for those who have deployed on carriers: what kind of communication is available these days with those back home? Just the standard email or are there phone capabilities too? I'm coming from the 'back home' world of FFG deployments so the carrier concept is rather foreign. Thanks!
Yes, email and phones are available depending on the operations going on. There may be periods where you are incommunicado. You may also have access to DSN for free calls back home.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

The old pay phones are still scattered throughout the boat but require prepaid phone cards. I always tried to grab a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System?) line from the ready room when nobody was around, or from my CO's stateroom (he'd leave his room key in the ready room sometimes for people to use his phone line). Other than that, email works well and sometimes we got Facebook/Google chat working.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The old pay phones are still scattered throughout the boat but require prepaid phone cards. I always tried to grab a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System?) line from the ready room when nobody was around, or from my CO's stateroom (he'd leave his room key in the ready room sometimes for people to use his phone line). Other than that, email works well and sometimes we got Facebook/Google chat working.
I also used Google Voice to send TEXT messages to my spouse's cell phone....it works very well.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Phones work great, I never had a problem finding a POTS line to call home. Slight delay in calls cause it's bouncing off a satellite.

Email works great, but off-ship email and web access was restricted to certain times. Varies by carrier, I'm sure. FB messenger and Gchat were very popular. WhatsApp + prepaid SIM card for overseas in-port connectivity.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
On my first deployment, the standard J-dial phone in my room had a "Sailor Phone" connection. We were able to make phone card calls home from the relative comfort of the stateroom. That was quite some time ago, but it was gouge!

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Fun fact for the CVW guys: Phones can be given access to POTS lines. So if you're nice to the CSO you too could have POTS access in your stateroom.

Say-What-meme-43580.jpg

Python

pilot
Contributor

Texting via email is awesome too.