• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
I have not logged time in either, and I am unqualified to fly it and I was just making a comment maybe an over exaggeration at most on how it "sucks"

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
How many people played sports while flying? When I was enlisted I was on the All-Marine Rugby team and played through college as well. I had stopped playing at TBS and through flight school so far. As I get farther into this process, it is feeling like my rugby playing days are probably over. A couple convos I've had with IPs have basically ended in "well, don't expect to play ever, unless you have the coolest CO ever". Is that basically what I can expect?

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Are you asking from a time or injury potential perspective?
I've had a very injury free career playing rugby, bu I guess what is the ready rooms tolerance of black eyes and such?

The coach of the All-Marine team was a LtCol flying 46s at the time and his call sign was shiner. He made it seem like rugby in aviation was A-okay. But some IPs I've talked to throughout the primary/advanced track so far have said to plan on never playing again.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a very injury free career playing rugby, bu I guess what is the ready rooms tolerance of black eyes and such?

The coach of the All-Marine team was a LtCol flying 46s at the time and his call sign was shiner. He made it seem like rugby in aviation was A-okay. But some IPs I've talked to throughout the primary/advanced track so far have said to plan on never playing again.

I wouldn't do anything with a high injury potential until you're winged.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many people played sports while flying? When I was enlisted I was on the All-Marine Rugby team and played through college as well....

One note of caution, we had two folks on All-Navy sports teams (soccer and rugby) in my first squadron and they were gone a significant amount of time and that caused problems. They were gone enough that it caused them issues getting qual'd, not to mention that it caused resentment among other JO's who had to carry more of the load when they were gone.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Guys...I never sat in Coach or a 737, only ghetto class on a Soul Plane

soulplane1.jpg

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

It depends on your long term goals. If you are in for eight, and then done, you may be fine. Balancing sports and flying is difficult.

I ride horses competitively, and have had to really work my schedule to make that happen. As far as the injuries go, it's amazing what you can fly with, and how much you can massage your schedule if you are/know the Skeds-O.

Short of a broken leg/torn ACL, you can press. I've shown up with shiners, broken digits/ribs/nose/tailbone, hobbled through back/neck/leg/foot injuries, and never had any problems from the command. I missed one day of flying with a dislocated large toe that wouldn't fit in the boot. That was from Krav Maga, not even riding...

I worked the sked so I didn't fly for a couple weeks after a nasty wreck on a friend's horse (already had PPT for the month) left me pretty sore.

Everyone is different, and has a different pain tolerance. I got lucky and dodged real injury, but I've seen guys go med down for months following injuries in basketball and lifting. Play smart, and accept the consequences if you get hurt.

At the end of the day you can get hurt doing anything, might as well have fun...
PickleIMG_1144.PNG IMG_1139.PNG IMG_1142.PNG IMG_1140.PNG IMG_1143.PNG