• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I bought my house in Ocean View, I remember the listing agent trying to tell Mrs Fester and I (not knowing we were both Navy or that we flew) that "we're near the base, but planes never fly over here." And we're like, motherfucker, how do you think we first spotted this place?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There's been a lot of churn for years about how the noise abatement rules at Fentress are going beyond being just detrimental and actually turning it into negative training.

This came up more than once during my FFPB/FSSB process.

brownshoe

Contributor
When I bought my house in Ocean View, I remember the listing agent trying to tell Mrs Fester and I (not knowing we were both Navy or that we flew) that "we're near the base, but planes never fly over here." And we're like, motherfucker, how do you think we first spotted this place?
Yeah, I lived in Williamsburg Estates off of Rosaryville Road, right behind Andrews and loved it! My real estate agent just skipped over the fact that the house I was looking to buy was in a flight path for Andrews (I knew of course, F8's, RF8's, F4's, A7's all the time).

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Segueing into my own stupid question... Do most communities have barricade scenarios in their simulators? Or is it one of those "so rare it's not worth the time to train" things?
FWIW, my fleet squadron's head paddles made it a point to do one simulated barricade talkdown at the field per pilot per FCLP cycle. Only time I'd heard of it being done.
Then again, the West Coast guys I've talked to weren't much of a fan of San Clemente, either. "You fly at the Boat to get ready for bouncing at the Rock," I was told.
FUC the NUC . . .

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Then again, the West Coast guys I've talked to weren't much of a fan of San Clemente, either. "You fly at the Boat to get ready for bouncing at the Rock," I was told.

We did the NUC when I was at Miramar. Actually, we tried to do it a bunch of times, and it continually got CNX'd because paddles couldn't get out there through the marine layer to land and man the lens. So we mostly then just launched into the NAOPA, burned down, and then came back for home field bounce. But the idea of the NUC was at least kind of cool......we had a whole mildly bastardized CV-1 approach with a student marshall stack coordinated with socal. I heard that oceana used to do that back in the day, and basically close the field except for CQ players. But again, in my timeframe, it never actually happened, though we did some day bounces during fams out there when there was no requirement for an LSO on station.

As for noise abatement, I think the subject has been beaten to death re: people buying houses in known high noise areas and then complaining about it. But I will say that I lived literally directly under the 90 for RWY 32 in VA Beach, and it made for some LOUD friday nights when guys were bouncing on that runway......even non-FCLP. So while I don't think people should complain about something they could have easily prevented, I can attest to its annoyance. Luckily we normally didn't use the 32's that often. The best was RWY 14......kind of like the one half day of the year that Miramar goes to RWY 6 or Fallon goes to 13 or 7........pandemonium ensues as FNG and experienced guys alike scramble to remember course rules.....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pandemonium ensues as FNG and experienced guys alike scramble to remember course rules.....
See? Now your ECMO would have just nonchalantly opened his or her navbag and read them to you. And then put them on his or her left knee so you could see them. A much more civilized way of flying, no? :)

Random8145

Hey all, question here, but do Navy ships and aircraft carriers drive through storms, or do they avoid such weather conditions? If so, what is it like aboard ship when going through a storm? Does the ship rock back and forth a lot? I'd think being on say a carrier would mean for a smoother ride than a small ship.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all, question here, but do Navy ships and aircraft carriers drive through storms, or do they avoid such weather conditions? If so, what is it like aboard ship when going through a storm? Does the ship rock back and forth a lot? I'd think being on say a carrier would mean for a smoother ride than a small ship.

Storms not required.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

If there's a rain squall, storm, or general weather disturbance, expect the ship to be driving towards it. It's science.

No really! The down rushing of water from the sky causes air movement. That causes wind. As aviators, we like to have wind over our decks. So the Shoes automatically take that to mean that they should drive towards the wind, which often times is where the storm is. Is a hate-hate relationship.

Storms not required.

A telephoto is always nice to make it look more dramatic. What are those, rolls of .5 degrees? I KEED!

Random8145

If there's a rain squall, storm, or general weather disturbance, expect the ship to be driving towards it. It's science.

No really! The down rushing of water from the sky causes air movement. That causes wind. As aviators, we like to have wind over our decks. So the Shoes automatically take that to mean that they should drive towards the wind, which often times is where the storm is. Is a hate-hate relationship.

Why do you like wind over the decks? It makes the aircraft fly better?

jmcquate

Contributor
Why do you like wind over the decks? It makes the aircraft fly better?
Air moving over and under the wings and control surfaces is what makes a plane fly. A combination of wind and thrust created by the engines moves air so the airplane can fly and be controlled. The more help from Mother Nature the better. Airports will change active runways to get as much assistance from wind as possible. Carriers will turn into the wind when launching and recovering aircraft.

Random8145

Air moving over and under the wings and control surfaces is what makes a plane fly. A combination of wind and thrust created by the engines moves air so the airplane can fly and be controlled. The more help from Mother Nature the better. Airports will change active runways to get as much assistance from wind as possible. Carriers will turn into the wind when launching and recovering aircraft.

I see; I know that the aircraft moves via air moving under and over the wings and thrust from the engines. I did not know though that high wind conditions really help this. If anything, I'd have thought higher wind conditions could make take-off and landing more difficult because of the aircraft getting blown around. Also, if the air is blowing towards the aircraft, I'd think that would make getting up to acceleration to take off difficult.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If the wind is blowing towards you, then nature is already helping you by giving you some airflow over your wings...therfore you're not starting at zero, and you have to do less work to get to liftoff speed.