• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except the Va guard unit doesn't own the airplanes. They just augment the big bad 1st FW with personnel. They don't take guys off the street either- so it's pretty much the Langley flying club.

I am pretty sure it is the same with the Hawaii guys, 'sharing' the planes with active guys.

Last edited:

Ralph

Still the best gig. Course Navy guys seem happier than the guys over at Baseops whose only recommendation is to go Guard.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh no, getting 'locked in' to flying something uncool? How tragic. By all means avoid that trap. After all, getting paid to fly is only worth it if it's a super cool fast stealth jet with bombs and guns and shit.

Look, one, every platform and community has it's pros and cons. Two, unless you're an Army RW Warrant, actually flying takes up a relatively small percentage of your career. Don't make decisions about joining the military strictly based on what plane you want to stand next to at an airshow.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still the best gig. Course Navy guys seem happier than the guys over at Baseops whose only recommendation is to go Guard.

Good site but there are some pretty angry dudes over there, and they use STS all the time...:confused:

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Because the Guard is the best deal on the planet, ever! It's as close as you can get to a guarantee for anything that is Military Service! And it helps not being locked into ridiculous time commitments (MSR) so you have more control over your life and future.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Oh no, getting 'locked in' to flying something uncool? How tragic. By all means avoid that trap. After all, getting paid to fly is only worth it if it's a super cool fast stealth jet with bombs and guns and shit.

I thought he was referring to going to a squadron that, say, transitions from F-16s to Predators...which at least several have. It's one thing to go from flying fighters to flying heavies (though, still, to each his own - if you only want to fly fighters, I don't really have a problem with that). But I think we can all agree it's quite another to go from flying anything else to flying a UAV.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just spent a year flying UAVs. Still beats working at Sears.

By the way, I flew with one of your crewman a few weeks ago...the one that's 9 feet tall. The other pilot also had just returned from the det that followed yours. Got to hear a few war stories.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah? That's cool. How someone thought it was a good idea to put someone that tall inside a rotor arc is beyond me. But he's good people. He'll make a hell of an AWC one day, hopefully soon.

Mar96

Except the Va guard unit doesn't own the airplanes. They just augment the big bad 1st FW with personnel. They don't take guys off the street either- so it's pretty much the Langley flying club.
So this means that if you enlist in the VA guard, and join the flying club, you have a high chance of getting selected to fly f22s?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
So this means that if you enlist in the VA guard, and join the flying club, you have a high chance of getting selected to fly f22s?

There has never been a more appropriate post for this thread, unless you're trolling us. I want so badly to say yes and to see what else happens, but the answer is "no." 1. Even in the Air Force, pilots are officers, so if you enlist you don't fly F-22s, as they only have a pilot. 2. Swanee meant didn't mean "flying club" literally. Beyond that I'll let those who know that stuff better explain it.

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
Dumb question... I know but ive always wondered... Is there a tailhook practice landing on a land runway? Basically, does a pilot get to practice landing with arresting cables on land before having to try it on an actual carrier? I assumed so because baptism by fire on a carrier could be really dangerous.