• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've been told multiple times I can't take a 4 day weekend because "we may need you to fly that weekend."

That's pretty freaking sad, no one, even the Skipper, is so vitally important that a squadron can't function for four days with them gone. Not to mention it's over a weekend.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's pretty freaking sad, no one, even the Skipper, is so vitally important that a squadron can't function for four days with them gone. Not to mention it's over a weekend.

Yet somehow the skipper's office ceases to function upon his/her return from said leave.... :)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I've been told multiple times I can't take a 4 day weekend because "we may need you to fly that weekend."

That sounds like the boilerplate answer - probably can't let you go because if they do they'll have to let the other 10 people who asked for the same thing and were turned down go as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That sounds like the boilerplate answer - probably can't let you go because if they do they'll have to let the other 10 people who asked for the same thing and were turned down go as well.

Which is easily managed by being up front with everyone and saying, "Hey, you all can't go at once. Work out a schedule..." In a REGNAV VP squadron, there's little excuse for that answer with all their bodies. My last squadron was SIGNIFICANTLY smaller in the green suit arena and we still survived when someone and/or the CO went on leave.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
In all fairness, it was an OPSO who was desperately trying to punch a ticket, use all the OPTAR for the quarter, not break a fleet record 36 month PPT streak, and. . . Oh wait, none that is a very fair reason to deny leave to a guy with 83 days on the books.

I may have missed some days with my family when they were visiting the island, but at least he got his #1 and will probably be a skipper someday.

magnetfreezer

In all fairness, it was an OPSO who was desperately trying to punch a ticket, use all the OPTAR for the quarter, not break a fleet record 36 month PPT streak, and. . . Oh wait, none that is a very fair reason to deny leave to a guy with 83 days on the books.

I may have missed some days with my family when they were visiting the island, but at least he got his #1 and will probably be a skipper someday.

Don't y'all have the use or lose problem then (i.e, front office making people take 2 days of leave every weekend so the leave slide shows green again)?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Whuh? I've NEVER heard of that. Use or lose has been a a personal problem; i.e. if you have >75 days, the excess goes away at the end of the year. It used to be 60. Your CO doesn't care if you lose some leave, that's your problem.

Anyone seen anything different?

MasterBates

Never had a front office force me to take leave on a weekend to make some metric green, but did have numerous cases of leave denied, or canceled after approval, then losing the leave.

Biggest one- leave for a vacation to Hawaii canceled as I was AT THE AIRPORT. Manatee went to HI without me. The promise of "we will get you there after you FCF 424" disafuckingpeared once the AO saw what a last minute ticket to Hawaii cost.

magnetfreezer

Are commands actually doing that? That's madness.

Yep, at least on the AF side. While use or lose should be a personal problem, and most guys don't care if they lose it since they most likely can't take the 60 days they do have, losing leave is tracked and reported at some higher level.

People in the unit losing leave then reflects badly on the CO since he appears to not be allowing his people to take leave (which is actually the case often). While I don't know if you can be ordered to take leave, it's usually "strongly directed" that you zero out your use/lose by Oct 1.

Weekend local leave or taking leave during the week but still coming in to work on the taskers that magically keep coming in with the same expected turnarounds are 2 of the frequent tactics.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, at least on the AF side. While use or lose should be a personal problem, and most guys don't care if they lose it since they most likely can't take the 60 days they do have, losing leave is tracked and reported at some higher level.

People in the unit losing leave then reflects badly on the CO since he appears to not be allowing his people to take leave (which is actually the case often). While I don't know if you can be ordered to take leave, it's usually "strongly directed" that you zero out your use/lose by Oct 1.

Weekend local leave or taking leave during the week but still coming in to work on the taskers that magically keep coming in with the same expected turnarounds are 2 of the frequent tactics.
That's so fucked up I don't even know where to begin. It's fucking criminal, that's what it is. I'm with Paddles on this one - muster the IG (or tip off the Air Force Times).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The OPSO doesn't get to say no -he just gets to put down his/her opinion. Make them recommend no and keep routing the chit. The CO is the only one who can deny leave. I've always preached that you put the leave chit in & make the old man say no. I've rarely seen a CO say no unless the circumstances were extreme, like a guy trying to go to Rio the weekend before deployment or during a work up phase. The OPSO is always going to make noise about leave, but dealing with folks on leave is part of their job.