• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Damn, then their flight suits are gonna get all snotty. Would the pilot be responsible for cleaning the windshield if he sneezed on it? Or could he make someone else do it?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Do helicopters have Oxygen masks? If so what happens since most don't have missiles?

Helos do not typically have O2 in the aircraft. If you are operating in an environment that could require oxygen masks, then a "backpack" like device can be rigged to the back of the seat that will contain the O2 equipment.
The only helo pilots I've ever heard actually using it was test pilots.

In my 5 squadron tours, I have never heard of a squadron actually having the equipment to install. If we needed it, I guess we would have to ask our Wing and then I don't know if they would even have it.

So, the answer is, a helo can be fitted with an O2 system for the pilots, but it is incredibly rare to actually install it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Patent is applied for. Should have number soon, but the filing date is what is the usual tiebreaker.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Are you saying you've designed a full AAR kit for the C-2, or did you just sketch a drogue hanging from the back of a C-2 on a napkin and call it a KC-2?

MasterBates

KE-2. Concept/design to include weight/balance and powering pumps, reels, etc is worked out. Final dimensions are not.

COD version would probably be way easier, just from a packaging standpoint.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Helos do not typically have O2 in the aircraft. If you are operating in an environment that could require oxygen masks, then a "backpack" like device can be rigged to the back of the seat that will contain the O2 equipment.
The only helo pilots I've ever heard actually using it was test pilots.

In my 5 squadron tours, I have never heard of a squadron actually having the equipment to install. If we needed it, I guess we would have to ask our Wing and then I don't know if they would even have it.

So, the answer is, a helo can be fitted with an O2 system for the pilots, but it is incredibly rare to actually install it.

I know you were speaking Navy, but the AF Pavelows used O2...eventually. When they first went into Afghanistan, they didn't have it and just dealt with the effects as best they could. I worked with a couple of senior Pavelow pilots at Whiting and they had some interesting stories.