• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Python

pilot
Contributor
Alright. Two questions.

Is the Hawkeye hard to bring back to the boat?

Also, for the F-35 Pilots on here, was it hard to transfer from center stick from the Charlie hornet to the F-35?

For the side stick, it was a very easy transition. Pretty much was fine with it after the first sim and first flight. I actually ended up preferring it. So the transition is nbd.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I don't mind the side stick at all but honestly I don't know which I prefer. It's easy and comfortable to fly but it generally makes it harder to use your right hand to manipulate the displays or take notes because you can't fly with your left hand. Not the worst thing in the world, but frustrating at times.

navyterp67

pilot
How is it when you land it on the deck? Rougher or less, or equal?

Landing is the same. The taxi is a different story though. The F-35 (maybe just the C model but not sure) bounces way worse than a rhino with carrier pressurized tires. So much so that you cannot type anything into the touch screen without hitting the wrong option on taxi. I can’t remember if it’s the nose strut or the launch bar bouncing around that causes it.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Landing is the same. The taxi is a different story though. The F-35 (maybe just the C model but not sure) bounces way worse than a rhino with carrier pressurized tires. So much so that you cannot type anything into the touch screen without hitting the wrong option on taxi. I can’t remember if it’s the nose strut or the launch bar bouncing around that causes it.

It’s the carrier tires, and the A (and I assume the B also) doesn’t have the bouncing problem. It’s really annoying.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
giphy.gif

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Texting and driving? Why do you abhor safety?!?! Think of the children (Ordies)!!!

Stupid questions. How intense is the math aspect in API/primary? I've never been a huge math stud and have been selected for SNA. Also, how did you guys warm up for flying?! I've made it up in my mind I want to be a pilot but the thought of potentially landing on a carrier has a few jitters going for me.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Stupid questions. How intense is the math aspect in API/primary? I've never been a huge math stud and have been selected for SNA. Also, how did you guys warm up for flying?! I've made it up in my mind I want to be a pilot but the thought of potentially landing on a carrier has a few jitters going for me.

It's not like they send you on a carrier for your first day of flight training, you prepare in the simulator, in the brief, etc

Meyerkord

pilot
How intense is the math aspect in API/primary?
It ain't much. When you learn Aerodynamics and Engines in API, you learn some equations (lift, Bernoulli, venturi, etc.), but you really only need to know how different variables are related within the equation. You never really do any solving of math problems that you're probably used to. Math in Primary is mostly cockpit math, which isn't very hard because you have to do it while you're flying. Either way, you don't need to be a math whiz to make it though API and Primary.

Also, how did you guys warm up for flying?
You'll hear the term "chair flying" a lot in primary. Just set up a profile of what you want to during your flight, and simulate it. Go from engine startup to engine shutdown. What switches are you moving? What are you saying on the radio? What are you looking for on your instrument display? What should the plane be doing if I do x/y/z? Always try to anticipate what's going to happen next so you're ready for it. If something happens that you weren't expecting, it can really throw you off, so always try to anticipate, but remain flexible to changes.