• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Shenanigans.
DistantJoyousDegu-small.gif

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@Scimitarze Actual Fun. Most aviation community Balls are in the fall in the place of "Big Navy" Birthday Ball. Most Bases/Fleet Areas will have a large Navy Ball (ex: Hampton Roads/Norfolk) for everyone, and then smaller ones for various communities. For example, in Norfolk area for aviation, there's Helicopters, Hawkeyes/CODs, and Hornets, and each one of those Wings will usually have their own ball. Attire is Dinner Dress for the Member and somewhere between Cocktail and Evening Gown for ladies/black tie for gents (although relatively flexible). The program is some mix of cocktail hour, food (plated or buffet), some kind of formal program with guest speakers, dancing, and aformentioned sheninangs. Your squadron will do planning for their own spin on the fun.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But you being the PC senior officer you are, you would never put your career in jeopardy making one. I mean, why waste the pucker ability and gag reflex you spent years developing saying something funny or even.... gasp....slightly inappropriate in public?
Dude. Relax.

Scimitarze

Automated Member
Can foreign language expertise play a role in your career as an aviator besides Language Pay? I've heard of exchange tours between Coast Guards for rotary pilots but have only really seen it for English speaking countries like Canada and the UK.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can foreign language expertise play a role in your career as an aviator besides Language Pay? I've heard of exchange tours between Coast Guards for rotary pilots but have only really seen it for English speaking countries like Canada and the UK.

No, if you get sent on an exchange tour to a country where English is not the primary language they will send you to language school before your tour.

The only time it could be a factor would be if you wanted to be a Foreign Area Officer later in your career, I believe knowing a foreign language could be a plus in selection. But that is at least 6 or more years into your career so a long time from now.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Japanese would help if you go FDNF-Japan. Other languages can definitely be beneficial, but in ancillary ways. Maybe you speak the local language at a port call or get tapped to be an exchange officer for a short exercise. It's rarely a bad thing. Overseas shore duties that would use a language (that don't hurt your career) are generally would be after your DH tour.

rymo96

I searched the forms and have yet to find a direct answer:
Do department heads fly? When DH's are deployed would they also participate in combat mission (or community specific missions)?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do department heads fly? When DH's are deployed would they also participate in combat mission (or community specific missions)?

Yes. They aren't treated differently than other aircrew.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: all aviators in a squadron fly. Aside from the front office, the DHs are the most qualified, experienced aviators in the squadron. They aren't just office managers. They fly just as much as everyone else. As for your combat question, yes absolutely. My first combat flight in the Prowler on my 2013 deployment was my XO, 2 DHs and me.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
To add, there are combat quals (CVW Strike lead) that you generally can't get until you are a department head.

A DH is also usually coming off of some sort of flying tour, unlike the front office, which may have just been sitting at a desk for the last 22 months and a day, wasting their life away.

Meyerkord

pilot
A DH is also usually coming off of some sort of flying tour, unlike the front office, which may have just been sitting at a desk for the last 22 months and a day, wasting their life away.
I thought the DH tour usually came after the disassociated?