• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stormy Carrier pics?

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Would anyone care to share a few pictures of a CVN in a bad storm? Huge seas with 25ft.+ waves? I don't know why, call it a fetish I guess, but I've been trying to find a picture like that for a long while. I imagine they would be quite rare since well, launching/landing planes in a storm doesn't sound safe and you all probably wisely avoid them (speculation of course). Seems like AW would be a good place to ask, but then again, like every new guy on here I've found out the hard way that what may seem like a decent enough question can actually turn out not to be; so profuse apologies in advance. (Any out there even close to included pic?)

Attachments

• roguewaves.jpg
    roguewaves.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 802

Lawman

None
Would anyone care to share a few pictures of a CVN in a bad storm? Huge seas with 25ft.+ waves? I don't know why, call it a fetish I guess, but I've been trying to find a picture like that for a long while. I imagine they would be quite rare since well, launching/landing planes in a storm doesn't sound safe and you all probably wisely avoid them (speculation of course). Seems like AW would be a good place to ask, but then again, like every new guy on here I've found out the hard way that what may seem like a decent enough question can actually turn out not to be; so profuse apologies in advance. (Any out there even close to included pic?)

This do anything for you?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Huge seas with 25ft.+ waves? ....I imagine they would be quite rare since well, launching/landing planes in a storm doesn't sound safe ....
Not "rare", but we still pride ourselves on all-WX ops, right??? But uncomfortable, nonetheless .... :)

I don't have any pictures, but we launched and recovered in the Sea of Japan and on the edge of Typhoons further south under those conditions ... shooting the birds on the "up" movement of the deck and recovering with MOVLAS as the lens was out of limits due to deck movement; i.e., pitching, rolling, and heaving.

Sometimes it got so bad it was basically the LSO saying: ..." don't watch the ball, don't chase the deck, just listen to me" ... :eek:

It works ...
:)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've actually met the pilot of that S-2 that flew through the wave. His son flys Harriers. What a wild story.

Try this video if you like old school footage. Particularly A-4 footage....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Try this video if you like old school footage.
Same-o, same-o .... this short clip is in my time frame, I wish there were more available out there --- the guys at the end of the clip returning to MC were contemporaries of mine. I particularly remember the loud mouthed blond guy .... :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None

OK, How many people (other than than my structures prof, Dr Milt Bank, at ASO school) got to fly the F-11 in flight school? ;)

The Tiger is the only jet that can compete with the Viggi for best looking jet in Naval Air history!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Heres a stormy 1963 CV and supply ship
This clip of HORNET (*sigh* why don't we name carriers like that anymore -- instead of naming 'em for politicians and bureaucrats???) shows an approximation of the deck movement I was referring to in post #6 on this thread --- you can see why the timing of the cat shot was critical -- don't want to shoot someone into the water on a "down deck" ....

Also, imagine that the bow shot is in the clip is the stern -- the ramp area --- now imagine trying to land on it. You could fly a good "groove" pass all the way down only to have the deck fall out from beneath you and off you go -- BOLTER or WAVEOFF ..... by the same token, you could land on an "up deck" and break an airplane. Wouldn't be the first time .....