• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stormy Carrier pics?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Same-o, same-o .... this short clip is in my time frame, I wish there were more available out there --- the guys at the end of the clip returning to MC were contemporaries of mine. I particularly remember the loud mouthed blond guy .... :)

You might like this one as well....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You might like this one as well....

Roger that --- thanks for the look-back. It's gotta be Nellis -- lots of TACTs range time there -- great flyin' and great to humble the AF Fighter Weaps Skool guys on a regular basis with our old airplanes and still older bodies ... love them tight section taxi's, too ....:)

The A-4 in all its mods is just simply the best jet aircraft to come around to date. Ask anyone who ever flew them. Totally responsive, completely comfortable .... a true pilot's airplane ...

KState_Poke22

During the Doolittle Raid launch in WW2 the seas were so rough that the planes would launch when the nose of the carrier was engulfed in a wave and then by the time they got to the end the nose would be in the air and they would take off no problem. It's good logic, but how f*ckin scared would you be going full power straight at the ocean!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
The fact that the weather decks tend to be secured during heavy weather might preclude a wealth of pictures of the type in which you seek. :D

In other words, they don't let you outside when the weather is bad so not a whole lot of pictures get taken.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
During the Doolittle Raid launch in WW2 the seas were so rough that the planes would launch when the nose of the carrier was engulfed in a wave and then by the time they got to the end the nose would be in the air and they would take off no problem. It's good logic, but how f*ckin scared would you be going full power straight at the ocean!

If you have ever cruised in NorPac in the winter or in the South China Sea during a tropical storm, this is pretty common. We had several fly days on Midway where you started down the cat tracks looking at water, waiting for the bow to raise. Trust the LSO's at the back, the shooter at the front.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I don't have any pictures, but we launched and recovered in the Sea of Japan and on the edge of Typhoons further south under those conditions ... shooting the birds on the "up" movement of the deck and recovering with MOVLAS as the lens was out of limits due to deck movement; i.e., pitching, rolling, and heaving.
Sometimes it got so bad it was basically the LSO saying: ..." don't watch the ball, don't chase the deck, just listen to me" ... :eek:

It works ...
:)
Indeed it does work....thankfully!

What I really hated was to be on approach in heavy seas, watching my view of the top of the flight-deck disappear and see the carrier's screws come completely out of the water (they make quite a splash as they turn and re-enter the water). Those approaches were in the MOVLAS hands and voice of the LSO…fate and God..... and are forever remembered.

Unfortunately, I always was a little too busy to ever get a picture of that, so here is a pretty nice day at sea for the blackshoes during an UNREP. :D

Attachments

• unrep1.jpg
    unrep1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 232
  • unrep2.jpg
    unrep2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 248

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I don't think I'd want to be topside on that DDG during unrep, Cat. You mentioned the Midway.... I had heard that when the "blisters" were installed on the hull during the late 70s or so because the ship was so top heavy, they actually aggravated the so called dutch roll...any comments on that?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Thanks A4s... I should have known there would have been a discussion on that somewhere.

MasterBates

Anyone ever get the impression that Cat & A4s are the real life Statler and Waldorf, at least as far as AW is concerned?

statler.jpg