• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats and Scores

dan15

Male,26
Prior service: 6yrs Air National Guard, F-15 crew chief (E-5)
5/6/5 55
Business Management 3.33 GPA
Good high PRT
LORs: 2 ANG E-8(old supervisors),1 O-3(former OIC),1 USMC O-5(ret.)flight instructor
Interviews: O-3 and O-6(ret.) both pilots. Excellent write ups
Flight time: 30hrs Cesna 172, 3hrs Extra 300L
Applied SNA/SNFO

Pro rec'd SNFO July 08 boards
Final select Sep 08
09Nov08 OCS date

I know that some ORs have thier applicants do MEPS before being pro re'd, but I did MEPS after the initial selection. It seems that applicants that had MEPS done prior to pro re'd get their final select a bit earlier. Grant, I thought my ASTB scores were a little low as well. I think I'm a good example of the whole person concept. Having good LOR's can go a long way. I would also try to get an interview to boost your package. Good luck with the boards.

DFSpence

-23/M
-Graduated from Baylor University in 2007 with a Political Science degree (2.81 GPA)
-OAR - 50, 6/6/7
-12:00 run, 62 push, 75 sit

Vice President of Baylor Men's Rugby
Pledge Class President - Sigma Chi (Eta Omega)

LOR: Former employers, Long time family friends, Chief Petty Officer (Cousin)

-Strong Motivational Statement

Applied: OCT08
ProRec: JAN09 - SNA, NFO - Choosing SNA

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
26 M
2.55 GPA (boo) Aviation Management-Business Minor University of Oklahoma
2 Years of NROTC
2 Jobs while going to school
4 LOR's
HS and College athlete (football and soccer)

ASTB 8/9/8 57 (1st time 5/6/6 50)

Apply SNA/ SNFO

Update: Pro-rec'd SNA/ SNFO , January 2009 - Chose SNA

GPA actually 2.52

plumadore11

How Am I Looking?

Hoping to get opinions on my stats, whether I have a good or bad chance.

Applying for BDCP Suppy, PAO, SWO (in this order)

Male
College Major: Management (Saint Leo University)
GPA: 3.1/4.0
ASTB: 3/3/3 44 <--Did this kill me?:confused:
PRT: 98 (curl-ups), 74 (push-ups), 9:40 (1.5 mile run)

Good:

Varsity Men's Basketball (HS/College)
HS Varsity Football (Co-Captain)
Various Academic and Athletic Awards
Co-Founder and VP of Philosophy Club (College)
3 LOR - College Basketball Coach, 2 Professors (Ph.Ds)
2 Job References both good
Tons of Community Service with children, troops and for Raymond James Stadium
PRT
Motivational Statement

Bad:

Felony at age of 13 (case dismissed)
ASTB?

Any insight appreciated!

FDX

It's mind games!
ASTB: 3/3/3 44 <--Did this kill me?:confused:

Any insight appreciated!

Definitely take it again or...

you could apply with that score and if you get turned down study your ass off and raise it. Then apply again without having to wait the 6 months because of your improved score.

plumadore11

Definitely take it again or...

you could apply with that score and if you get turned down study your ass off and raise it. Then apply again without having to wait the 6 months because of your improved score.

I'm going to apply with this score and hope for the best, but I'm planning to take it again. The thing that pisses me off is the fact that I have been studying my ass off, and really made strides in the type of material covered. Then, I get in the exam and ALL of the mechanical shit was COMPLETELY different than anything I had studied.. Seriously, maybe 3-4 questions I had seen previously in either the Barron's study guide, the Marine Gauge stuff and other study guides. I know that's where I got killed.

My 3's I could care less about because I'm not interested in avaition. Hopefully, and I do believe I have a good shot, the board will see my package in its entirety and realize I am worthy of commissioning. My OR says my score is good, stating 50 would be considered competitive, but for what I'm applying for (Supply, PAO, SWO) I'm still alive.

Thanks in advance for comment/suggestion/insight.

Sorry for the essay.

BullGator

...Then, I get in the exam and ALL of the mechanical shit was COMPLETELY different than anything I had studied.. Seriously, maybe 3-4 questions I had seen previously in either the Barron's study guide, the Marine Gauge stuff and other study guides. I know that's where I got killed.

My 3's I could care less about because I'm not interested in avaition. Hopefully, and I do believe I have a good shot, the board will see my package in its entirety and realize I am worthy of commissioning. My OR says my score is good, stating 50 would be considered competitive, but for what I'm applying for (Supply, PAO, SWO) I'm still alive.

Thanks in advance for comment/suggestion/insight.

Sorry for the essay.
I liked Arco's Officer Candidate Tests book for mechanical practice. The practice problems before the actual practice exams was very helpful. Also, I recommend doing all the practice problems that you can including the ones in the AFOQT and AFAST exams. The Arco books (one mentioned and Military Flight Aptitude Tests book) are online for free and you can print out the pages you want.

Did you ask your OR about PAO, because it is extremely competitive and I heard their selection board only meets one time a year (in Oct if I remember correctly). So you may want to double check about that.

In the mean time study your butt off to take the ASTB again. :icon_wink

FDX

It's mind games!
In addition to the Officer Candidate Test book Arco also makes a book specifically for mechanical aptitude. Also, their asvab book has a fair amount of mechanical comprehension in it as well. I found all 3 books useful. Good luck!

plumadore11

The Arco books (one mentioned and Military Flight Aptitude Tests book) are online for free and you can print out the pages you want.

Did you ask your OR about PAO, because it is extremely competitive and I heard their selection board only meets one time a year (in Oct if I remember correctly). So you may want to double check about that.

In the mean time study your butt off to take the ASTB again. :icon_wink

Where could I locate these free books?

I talked to him, I understand. I am aware that it's a long shot, but I'd rather supply anyway and I'd be okay with SWO.

BullGator

Where could I locate these free books?

I talked to him, I understand. I am aware that it's a long shot, but I'd rather supply anyway and I'd be okay with SWO.
I just googled them and they were on the second page of results. My links didn't work a month ago when I gave them to someone so you may need to search hard for the new ones/old ones that work. Also, the AF has a webpage that offers the book for free online, but I believe that you need to sign up and am not sure if you can print the pages out. -I never used that source, but many on AW have.

ksurf20

Figured I join the AW site since it caters to all OCS applicants as well. Good Luck to all.
Package sent: January 6, 2009 for February boards.

Enlisted Mar. '98, Honorably Discharged Nov. '03, Re-enlisted May '07.
Former DC2 (SW/AW), now MA2 (SW/AW).
Westwood College
B.S. Criminal Justice
GPA: 4.00 (Graduated Summa Cum Laude)
OAR: 38-1st time, 39-2nd time (Submitting and going with the "Whole Person" concept, I do OUTSTANDING on exams in a classroom environment...studying from an OCS book or manual SUCKS!)

Applying for: Supply/310X & Surface Warfare/116X

Interviews:
1 CAPT (XO-Naval Base Guam)
1 CAPT (OIC-FISC Det Marianas)
1 CDR (CO-NOSC Guam)
1 CDR (Suppo-HSC-25)
1 CDR (Suppo-USS Frank Cable)
1 LT (SWO)

LORs:
1 O-8 RADM (COMNAVMAR)
1 LT (Dept. Head - Security Officer)
1 Westwood College Director of Education
1 Westwood College Asst. Director of Education & Professor
1 Law Attorney & Professor

Civilian Awards and Recognitions:
Dean's Honor List recipient every quarter from Aug. 2004 - Oct. 2006.
Member of National Honor Society, Alpha Beta Kappa
Student of the Quarter, Feb. 2006
Received "Outstanding Student" in my degree program, Oct. 2006
Valedictorian for graduating Class of 2006.
Co-Founder and President of Westwood College Criminal Justice Student Association and Honor Society from Mar. 2006 - Dec. 2006
As a civilian, worked for a Fortune 1000 Security Company and was a Security Account Manager for major clients such as Coca-Cola, Ford, Mazda, Quest Diagnostics to name a few.
Under that command I had approx. 60 Security Officers under my supervision whom I managed their training, payroll, administrative duties, etc.

Military Career:
Currently working in Security Operations as a Training Petty Officer where I qualified and lead approx. 100 personnel.
Currently holding a Secret Clearance.
No NJPs
Security Training Lead Petty Officer as a Second Class, DC2.
Numerous qualifications as a Damage Controlman and Master-at-Arms.
Surface and Aviation Warfare designators.
1 NAM
1 Good Conduct Medal
3 LOA
Assistant Command Fitness Leader.
Fall 2008 PFA scores: 100 C/U, 100 P/U, 10:20 run (Outstanding Medium)
Spring 2008 PFA scores: 105 C/U, 100 P/U, 8:23 swim (Outstanding Low)
Previous 2 PFA (2007): Excellent High x 2
Evaluations: EP, MP (Upon re-entering Navy). Before that: MP (Last Eval before getting out of Navy, long-story...), EP, EP, EP...
Command Assessment Team Member, Command Indoc. Instructor, Command Mentorship Program, Non-Lethal Weapons Instructor, etc.
Community Service: U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps, Base Enhancement, Holiday & Concert Events, Command involvement in sports-Admiral's Cup 2 seasons in Football, Drug Suppression Team with NCIS, COMREL Projects.
Active in Milton C. Marvin Lodge #123.

MA2 (SW/AW)

jpmatta16

What are my odds??

Applying BDCP Pilot:

ASTB 5/5/6 45

Major Aviation Professional aviation 2.98 Overall GPA 3.54 Degree

PRT 99 s/u 78 p/u 11:53 run

4 LORS
3 Flight instructors 1 USAF pilot 1 USAF Officer 1 USCG Flight E
1 College professor USN A-4 Pilot and Advance Jets Instructor, Continental Air for 26 year

600 Hours Of community Service
Church Preacher
Active member of Maria Luisa Moreno International Foundation

250+ Flight Hours
Private, Instrument, and Commercial certificate all taught by military pilots.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@ jpmatta: Agreed.....in my NROTC days those ASTB scores would not have been especially competitive, and I know things are only more competitive for OCS/BDCP so that is what I would work on if I were you. But all in all, from an uneducated observer's perspective, your package looks pretty good

Overall, a bit of advice though....perhaps fitting for a lot of the applicants posting here. Don't worry about what we say here on the www, as nobody knows what your board will determine....things change all the time. Someone saying on AW that your package is good should not have an effect on your confidence level......it could be total BS (unintentional of course) just as quickly as it could be good gouge. Make your package as good as you are able and willing to make it in the time that you have before you need to submit, and then let things happen knowing that you gave it your best shot. I say "willing" because there is a difference between your absolute ability, and the effort you can put forward without sacrificing other equally important parts of your life *cough*sanity*cough* You will need to learn now, while you are in college, how to effectively balance your goals/dreams and the rest of your life so that you don't go insane in flight school. There are way too many hours in the day, and waaaaaay too many pages of NATOPS and FTI's and Course Rules and whatever else during primary to ever stop studying for even one hour if your intention is to be "perfect". Or you can study enough to do well, and have some fun too. Same thing applies for your application process to OCS.....get in the door, but don't kill your life doing it. Not sure what motivated this little paragraph but I think maybe it is a good thing to read.....

/slightly unrelated rant

acoustic2

My Stats

My stats:
-30 years old
-Male
-Finance/Accounting BA 3.34 GPA
-Pilot / NFO / Intel (in that order)
-AW2 (Helo SAR swimmer) 10yrs enlisted
-5-6-5 48
-1 LOR from an O5
-1 LOR from an O6
-2 Interviews from O5s
-1 Interview from O6
-Very strong CO endorsement O5 at the time of app...now an O6

Extras:
-Private Pilot w/ Multi-engine rating
-Enlisted NATOPS Instructor
-CRM Facilitator
-1,800 hrs in SH-60B

Just got the message today that I was selected for NFO (too old for pilot). No class info yet.