• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Startup Checklist P-47

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take offs and landings in the Able Dog were canopy open. You couldn't carry your cigarettes in your sleeve pocket as the slip stream would beat the tobacco out of the papers.

RonDebMar told me a fib, said Spad Drivers were Puritans...no drin-kee, no smo-kee, no noo-kee! WTF Ron?;)
BzB

blackbart22

pilot
If they didn't want you to smoke, they wouldn't have put ash trays in them. Each station in AD-5Ws and Ad-5Qs had its own ashtray. Also we had a P-51 at China Lake for testing in 1974. It had a recoiless rifle on each wing tip. Since I had over a thousand hours of taildragger time, I convinced the Ops O that I should get checked out in it as a back up. The Marine light colonel in charge of the program heard about it and told me that he would break all my limbs if he caught me near "his" mustang.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The T-34 is probably the last fixed wing aircraft in the US inventory that will let you fly around with the roof open and still be able to close it again.

Unnamed IP had a sense of humor in the pattern once and told me to look in my side mirror...he had his canopy opened and head out the side giving me some version of a half downe's syndrome/child molester smile through the entire down wind....I had to wave off my last couple of passes from being unable to stop laughing.

It's little things like that, that give me hope that not ALL is lost in terms of having fun while flying Navy a/c.

Flugelman

Contributor
If they didn't want you to smoke, they wouldn't have put ash trays in them. Each station in AD-5Ws and Ad-5Qs had its own ashtray. Also we had a P-51 at China Lake for testing in 1974. It had a recoiless rifle on each wing tip. Since I had over a thousand hours of taildragger time, I convinced the Ops O that I should get checked out in it as a back up. The Marine light colonel in charge of the program heard about it and told me that he would break all my limbs if he caught me near "his" mustang.

My Dad was at Kisarazu with the FasRon during the Korean War. I once asked him if he had ever flown the Gruman F7F and he replied that he had, once. Turns out the F7F there was the "Admiral's airplane" and he got his ass chewed for doing it.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
From the 1994 edition of the A-6E Intruder NATOPS, canopy airspeed limits were:

Opened 250 KIAS
Opening 200 KIAS
Closing 150 KIAS

Of course, if you had the canopy open, better safe the seats since the canopy frame would be right over your head.

BTW, had the canopy pop open an inch or so or cat shots many times. 3000 psi of hydraulics will close it every time.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
RonDebMar told me a fib, said Spad Drivers were Puritans...no drin-kee, no smo-kee, no noo-kee! WTF Ron?;)
BzB

BzB...you spreading those outrageous rumors again?!?

How do ya think I came about my call sign, huh??

Gotta admit, tho...I was distressed to find no ashtrays on the A4...or the A7.. Had to give up flying shortly thereafter ...:rolleyes:

"Teaching the young cockerels their manners, herding the young pullets and doing his manly duty with the mature hens is a full time job, one which a Bantam rooster gladly takes responsibility for."

Back to the thread...IIRC, took 16 blades before starting the 3350.