• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Startup Checklist P-47

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Legit vid. Good effects on target. It wasn't all heavy bombers lying down city blocks worth of bombs back then. Also, I'm inspired to fly with my canopy open.

jmcquate

Contributor
Legit vid. Good effects on target. It wasn't all heavy bombers lying down city blocks worth of bombs back then. Also, I'm inspired to fly with my canopy open.
AV-8B has a sliding canopy.......will the jet let you do it if you were so inclined?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is there a checklist item that addresses stowing the pilot's gigantic brass balls? They seem like they could get in the way during dynamic manuevering.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
The T-34 is probably the last fixed wing aircraft in the US inventory that will let you fly around with the roof open and still be able to close it again.

blackbart22

pilot
Take offs and landings in the Able Dog were canopy open. You couldn't carry your cigarettes in your sleeve pocket as the slip stream would beat the tobacco out of the papers.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
40 knots of total wind is the limit to have the Harrier canopy open if anybody cares to know. I'm positive that it could handle much more, but when you try to stop it's slamming shut on your hand.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
40 knots of total wind is the limit to have the Harrier canopy open if anybody cares to know. I'm positive that it could handle much more, but when you try to stop it's slamming shut on your hand.

I had mine come part way open on takeoff. About 400 kts and it didn't shatter. I have seen them come apart, though.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Hey kind of useless stuff but I read that the Dominican Republic used P-51Ds until as late as 1984. Anyone know how they kept them going that long? I realize they still fly today but that must have been tough to keep them going through a military support structure and enduring lots of hours of flight? Also, I read that during the Suez Crisis in 1956 an Israeli pilot used his propeller on a P-51D to cut enemy telephone wires! Apparently Israel had to obtain their Mustangs illegally at some point. Not really sure why that was. Anyway I found this stuff fascinating and I thought it might spark other's interest.