• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 & SEALs

sun

My goal is to become a SEAL, then later down the road a Officer. Problem like most people have I don't have a college degree. Was told that STA-21 was the best program. Is it for SEALs?

Just from a few friends; who had experience being in the Navy and another from West Point. Said it is possible but it is extremely rare having a slim chance to none to be released from your command regarding for SEALs, because it is the most competitive. Is this true?

How do I prepare for STA-21 before I join the military? To even be considered a worthy candidate for Officer Standards. I'm planning on joining from 6 months to a year from now. During that time of waiting, I'll attend college. I had to put it on hold, because I owed them money. Anyways..

Do I have to ace every class, aim for a 4.0 GPA. Get excellent scores on ACT/SAT before I'm shipped? Get many EC as possible. My high school GPA is so shameful it is almost like an academic std.

I want to go to a top school, but besides getting excellent academics scores. It all comes down to your commander releasing you or the board correct? I don't know how it exactly works, but all I know it is very competitive to get a slot for SEAL Officer in STA-21 or not even having a chance at all. If anyone can help I greatly appreciate it.

P.S Can MODs edit my title to cap seal to SEALs. Thanks

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
WOW...that was a tough read. Anyway, STA-21 is a program designed to allow individuals who excel during their enlisted career the opportunity to attend college and become an officer. It is tough (read: nearly impossible) to become a SEAL through STA-21 if you are not already an enlisted SEAL.

Bottom line is if you want you go to BUD/s, ask for it when you enlist, be a badass SEAL, and then apply for STA-21. If becoming an officer is your goal, no matter what the career field, look into applying for Navy ROTC or attending OCS.

sun

Thats what I plan to do is join, go straight to BUD/s to become a SEAL. Then apply for STA-21 afterwards. Becoming a SEAL in general is my top priority, then Officer is my second. Read the only way to choose the SO option is become a SEAL in the first place. I just want to make sure STA-21 will give me that opportunity to be a SEAL officer.

Lycurgus

I am an enlisted SEAL, and I put in for STA-21 this year, and got picked up first time. It is possible. Get your mind and body ready for Bootcamp, then BUD/S. Take everything one step at a time. First, you would have to get a SEAL challenge contract by passing the Physical Screen Test, and also have the eyesight and other requirements to go to BUD/S. Then, make it through over 7 months of the toughest military training in the world. Next, go to Advanced Training (SQT) for 5 more months. In between that, you will have to pass Freefall and SERE school. Then you check into your first platoon and get your butt whipped during work-up for approximately 2 years, and then you get to deploy for 6 months. Rinse and repeat for 2 to 3 deployments. Kick butt, don't get shitcanned, and then maybe think about becoming an officer. You have a long way to go, and there are lots of variables not in your favor.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
25 meter target. If your number one goal is to become a SEAL (and that's what you said), focus on that. Worry about becoming an officer and STA-21 later. It's very possible if you DO become a SEAL, you'll realize that you don't want to be an officer anymore.

sun

Thank you Lycurgus, never imagined a actual Navy SEAL replying. Giving me some good insight, and shed of light on this I really do apperciate it. Gave me motivation. Yes, I should learn to walk before I run. Focused more on becoming a SEAL in the first place is my priority. Just wanted to make sure I would still have that option to become a Officer eventually if I survive the cut.

As for active duty, all I know in the Navy SEAL contract it is 2 yrs of training, 4 yrs of active duty and 2 yrs of reserves. Do you get selected during or after the four years of active duty for STA-21? Just curious. Fattesfoot you may be right, I should just focus on SEALs, and Officer will be on my not so priority list once I get my feet wet.

Lycurgus

They won't let you put a package in till you've done 2 deployments (4 years) at the team. Take everything one step at a time. Make it to the Teams, and you will see what officers do....and what they don't do. You have a long road ahead of you....

DanceClubNinja

Holy shit!

Phrogdriver - lolol Well put about the Bono bit...

One thing that is definitely a good thing to have under your belt is time on mission. For me, that was on deployment on a Submarine. It's that "experience" that will set you apart from everyone else who just wants to leapfrog the "system".

Yay for STA-21 btw... I've never been happier.

sun

More like 10 feet tall, being super human lol. Just been busy lately with work. Will you ever have time to study for the SAT/ACT? even being on the teams time is very limited. With the time you do have I'm assuming you use it for rest. Any suggestions or what should I avoid being a novice tempting for SEALs in general.