• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY05 Hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

STA21pilot

turtle_sc said:
STA21pilot,

... Any help for the interviews would be VERY appreciated. I'm still working on my personal statement also. What kinds of things did you say about why you are choosing your designator?
IT1

Check out the other post in this forum "STA-21 Board Questions"

I've heard conflicting points of view on specifing interest for you choice designator. Some think there should be some sort of personal connection as to why you are choosing that option. Others think you should just mention it and talk about why you'll be a good officer. I can't make up my mind which way I'll go. Gotta run. Later.

STA21pilot

June 04

Allright!!! We are "-26" days to final mail in day for STA-21 FY05. :eek: Exciting hugh. I'm still waiting on going to my final board with the Nomination Review board. I'm pretty sure we're going to have the same Captain we had last year from NAVSTA. Lucky me, I served with him on my last ship and he remembered me last year (pretty sure I got a good rec from him then), so I'm looking forward to going up again this year, especially after the new evals/grades/quals I got... Whew...

Speaking of grades. I finish my spring semester at Mesa, finally. It seemed sooooooo long. Calc II and Physics 195A (Calc-based) what a pain the a--. But I got A's in both! :) I'm glad too, because physics was kinda difficult, all the rotational stuff... kinda obscure. Anyways, I'm scheduled for Calc III this summer with the same Prof I had for Calc II so everything should be gravy. I'm still stuck with the dilema of what to take in the fall though...

If I should be so lucky as to be picked up I estimate I'd be leaving in the spring of next yearish. That means I won't be able to take classes that semester. Yet, I still would like to finish my Chem 200, Diff EQ, and Phys 196. But that's WAY to much stuff to take in the fall. I'd like to keep it up so that if I do get in I can finish my degree in 24 months or so, instead of 36. :icon_wink (Check the NAVADMIN if you know what I'm sayin) Cutting down on the time spent in college would be great.

Anyways... I'm still dying on the personal statement this year. It's killing me I must have written it 235,398,301.5 times. I'm working on it again now, kinda, and giving a test to my class...These guys are rocks!!! Whatever, I'm spending too much time in this forum, I need to get back to writing and grading...

STA21Pilot

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Almost there!!

Well, I just had my first board today...all 9's and 10's :D
I have the interview with the CO in the am, and the nomination review board on Friday. Then it's the long wait until October. The only thing that sucks is they had to pull my only letter of rec because my CCC had to use him on my board...limited number of officers here. Sucks, but what can you do? :indiffere Well I'll keep you updated...

Me

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
two down one to go

Just a quick update......finished my CO interview two days ago. I got all 10's and a really good write up and ranked #1!! Now it is just the nomination review board. Keep your fingers crossed!!

STA21pilot

turtle_sc said:
Just a quick update......finished my CO interview two days ago. I got all 10's and a really good write up and ranked #1!! Now it is just the nomination review board. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Turtle,

How big is your command? I've finished all my interviews and they haven't told us our line scores. They don't even tell us how we rank. Usually we get some of the comments back and the CO's rec after they mail off our packages. At least that's how it happened last year.

Hopefully we'll hear a little more this year. Good Luck.

SAR522

STA21pilot,
I'm new to this site and I've been reading your post. I'm applying for the pilot option as well (first year). Your stats look very competitive. Here's mine, let me know what you think.
I’m 24 years old and an MM2 (SW/AW) with six years in, 3 as an E-5. My last two evals were EP’s and the three before those were MP’s. All evals recommend STA-21 and commissioning programs.
My ACT scores were 25 English, 24 Math
ASTB OAR 40: AQR 3: PFAR 5 (terrible, I know, but I was told the minimums are adequate and the boards look for the whole person concept)
My high school GPA was a 2.4, but I just completed my associate’s degree with a 3.8 GPA. I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering at ODU.
I have a few NAM’s and LOC’s as well.
Last 3 PRT’s all outstanding low.
I had my interview board last week, all 10’s and superb remarks. Two of the board members were NFO’s and the Commander, a pilot.
I’m still waiting to do my nomination review board, should be sometime this week.
The CO recommendation is all 10’s with a strong recommendation.
That’s about it for my package. This is my first year applying so I’m not expecting to get selected. I’ve heard the average applicant applies 3 times or more. I just hope my pathetic ASTB scores don’t ruin my chances. I wish I’d found the Navy Gouge before I took the test. Well take care and good luck.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
STA21pilot said:
Turtle,

How big is your command? I've finished all my interviews and they haven't told us our line scores. They don't even tell us how we rank. Usually we get some of the comments back and the CO's rec after they mail off our packages. At least that's how it happened last year.

Hopefully we'll hear a little more this year. Good Luck.

STA21,
My command is not that big, only about six or seven O's minus the CO and XO. But, we have a large training command right up the road (that's where the nomination review board is). As far as the feedback, our CCC can be good at times, so I knew where I stood. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much since this is the first time I'm applying. I had a couple of shoulder surguries that kept me from applying until now. I just think I have a pretty good package (don't we all) :D

STA21pilot

Package Received!

What a relief. It's in, and now for the wait... wait... wait... :timebomb_

Okay, it's officially allright to go crazy waiting for an answer. Why do I feel like I've been here before???

SAR522 said:
STA21pilot,
I'm new to this site and I've been reading your post. I'm applying for the pilot option as well (first year). Your stats look very competitive. Here's mine, let me know what you think. ...

SAR, I like your stuff... I wish I could say that I know what's a sure lock and what's just fluff. I don't. Obviously showing the academics is a premium. From reading the instructions it seems like they are going to be looking at that stuff pretty hard. I know I'm not an idiot, but Calc based Physics was pretty hard, and I hope that the boards realize that it might take more than the minimum's to get through a class like that.
It also looks like they are really trying to get the STA-21 applicants through the process quickly by saying they hold a premium for applicants that can complete degree req's in 24 months and under.
Obviously the command's endorsement is really important. I guess, just do whatever you can to get the best you can.

STA-21 Pilot

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
STA21pilot said:
:sleep_125

Hugh, what??? :watching3

Did the results come out yet???

No results yet. I don't know the exact date, but it won't be before Oct 1- they wait until after the fiscal year begins so anyone who was due a bonus can get it.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
dtirey said:
They do usually wait, but it is not for bonuses. I'm not saying this to dog you Navy wife, but you are not allowed to get bonuses while you are in the STA program. I seen a lot of people get screwed and had to pay back close to $20,000 while they were at BOOST. If you look at the website, they really stress this. Now you can receive you bonus prior to getting accepted, but after accpetance you can not get any other installments or you will pay it back to DFAS.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I wasn't clear- I meant people who already had bonuses coming to them. But that was the reason that I kept getting told why they wait.
If my hubby gets picked up STA, he'll miss his chance to STAR (he'll hit the 2 yr mark in Nov)...Clearly better in the long run, but that bonus would be nice!

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Just to get this straight.....as long as I'm already getting an SRB, I will still get it, and keep it, but after I get accepted I won't get anymore installments.

Does that sound right? It makes sense, but if you read the instruction, it reads "once you apply to the STA-21 program all SRB etc. installments stop"

I just want to make sure I don't screw myself with my SRB check in October.

Me

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
I agree, the statement on the website makes no sense. It would mean that even if you weren't accepted you wouldn't get your SRB installment, which is crazy. I think it is just another typical navy "typo". :D

STA21pilot

271521z Sep 04 Cno Washington Dc

Raauzyuw Ruewmcs0187 2711521-uuuu--rucrnad.
Znr Uuuuu Zui Ruenaaa0187 2711521
R 271521z Sep 04 Zyb Min
Fm Cno Washington Dc//n00t//
To Navadmin
Bt
Unclas //n01420//
Navadmin 217/04
Msgid/genadmin/cno Washington Dc/n00t/sep// Subj/disestablishment Of The Sta-21 Selection Board// Rmks/1. due To The Impact Of Hurricane Ivan Aboard Nas Pensacola And Surrounding Facilities, The Previously Scheduled Seaman-to-admiral 21 (sta-21) Selection Board Has Been Disestablished. All Sta-21 Applications And Records Are Intact. New Applications Are Not Necessary And Will Not Be Accepted. Another Sta-21 Board Will Be Convened Asap With Results Expected To Be Published Nlt End Nov. 2. Released By Vadm A. G. Harms, Jr., Director Of Naval Education And Training.// Bt #0187

:confused: Figures!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.