• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA 21 Choose ROTC wisely and arrive informed

corvettetimmy

Hello all,

Congrats on getting selected for STA 21. I was selected in 2004 for the FY05 program. It is a great deal for anyone seeking a degree and a commission.

I just wanted to share a few things that myself and most of my 50 friends from NSI learned when we reported to our respective NROTC units. I know some people will pick NROTC units based in their current location or location of friends and family. Others may pick based on school reputation or other reasons.

I would strongly recommend calling the unit and talking with the freshman adviser or whoever will be in charge of you when you check in. Make sure you ask them "exactaly" what is expected of you for the next 3 years. This will become important in choosing where to live if you haven't done so yet. Next, I would ask that individual for the contact information of current Officer Candidates (STA 21 guys) at their NROTC unit.

After talking to the freshman adviser or whoever your poc is, make sure to call the currently enrolled Officer Candidates. Ask them the exact same questions that you asked the adviser or LT. You may find that these answers are drastically different as the staff members (LT's etc.) don't participate in all NROTC unit functions.

Make sure to ask about a "Freshman Orientation" before you make any plans. Our unit had a 7 day freshman orientation that was a vivid flashback to bootcamp, actually a little worse. Don't get me wrong, the program is a great deal, just be aware of what you will have to participate in and make sure you prepare for it. It is likely that you will have marine staff and gunny sergeants in your face for a week. You might even get your head shaved again (I did).

Ask about football games. It is very likely that all of your weekends in the fall will be occupied with attending football games and stadium parkings and cleanups. Mine were, also many of my counterparts at other universities were too.

Also, be prepared to realize that when you graduate you will be on the exact same page as the Midshipman sitting next to you at drill. This means that you will likely be subordinate to all of the upper class MIDN as far as ROTC chain of command goes during your freshman year. This was a hard thing for a lot of us OC's and MECP's to understand at first. Many of us thought it was bullshit to call a 20 yr old guy sir and salute him even tho he has never served active duty. You will likely be told what to do by 2nd and 1st class MIDN. Just obey as if they were in your Chain of Command on a ship. It will go a long way with the professional staff (real navy staff).

Although there is the possibility that you will attend an NROTC unit that treats the OC's completely differently than the MIDN, giving them a serious break. Im not sure that many of those units are out there.

This post is not supposed to be negative. I just wanted to make sure that you guys and gals are prepared properly. I personally was not prepared and had to move closer to the school so that I could fulfill all of the requirements without killing myself commuting.

Recap:
Ask both the current STA 21 guys and the LT's about freshman orientation, football games, early morning PT, Drill, and other activities such as fund raisers and balls.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Great post....

For the info of others here, where are you going to school? What are the answers to those questions for your school? If you don't mind answering publicly that is.

corvettetimmy

Great post....

For the info of others here, where are you going to school? What are the answers to those questions for your school? If you don't mind answering publicly that is.

Sure,

I went to Miami University (Ohio)

The current situation there is that OC's are pretty much the same as MIDN in all aspects except for pay.

All MIDN/OC's/MECP's attend every home football game if not parking cars for that game. Not 100% sure this season, but last year i had to do football cleanup 4 times.

There is usually one or two 0600 pt sessions each week depending on which platoon/squad you are in.

Drill is Tuesday at 1530-1730 and Company PT is Thursday at 1530-1730. There are several events that are mandatory on the weekends.

Uniforms are worn on Tuesday.

Must take leave if traveling outside of 300 mile radius. No special request chits.

Everyone has to stand watch in the unit spaces a few times over the semester.

After you first semester almost everyone will have some Billet or job that requires a decent amount of time outside of drill.

All pay and advancement exam issues need to be handled in an aggressive manner since OC's are the minority.

Medical and dental problems are handled via civilian providers with Tricare Prime Remote since there is no local base hospital/dental. Become familiar with procedures and ask lots of questions or it will cost you personally (i know).

Tons of good looking girls.

Crowbar

None
Good stuff from Timmy. For any future or hopeful MECEPs, the same advice applies. Schools vary greatly. For example, in contrast to what Miami of Ohio does for orientation/indoc, our school only had OCs and MECEPs show up for half a day for the CO's and XO's welcome speeches. And nobody got their head shaved.

Great advice in this post, I can't emphasize that enough.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Great post. Being a midshipman, I'm on the other side of the aisle but hopefully I can give a little bit of information.

ERAU NROTC incorporates OCs and MECEPs into their program as if they were midshipman but they are not required to attend orientation/indoc. They participate in all battalion functions: PT 3 mornings a week, Dining-In, Dining-Out and working the races. There is one drill session per week but you can be excused if there is a class conflict.

There is an adjustment for the OCs and MECEPs because they are put in positions where they are following the orders of some 20 year old MIDN that has never been anywhere near the fleet. This may sound bad but the OCs and MECEPs look out for each other and any sort of issue with someone abusing power is dealt with rapidly.

We have a great group down here and I would definitely recommend talking to someone that is currently in the unit. They have a ton of information regarding tuition costs, living costs and other good gouge.

Feel free to PM me, I hope this was somewhat helpful.

edit: I just wanted to add one more thing! To all the OCs/MECEPs: Don't underestimate how much impact you can have on the MIDN surrounding you. Some of the best advice I've received during my NROTC time has come from the OCs. Having the interaction with the mids gives you a chance to have an astounding impact on future officers that you will serve with or under.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Sorry, corvettetimmy, those weren't my experiences at all at Berkeley. When I went through NSI most people were going to go to either ODU or South Carolina. Also, my 2nd choice school was Idaho and they seemed like a good unit.

To you future OCs: start by checking out unit websites (for CO's letter and bio (Marine or Navy?, flyer or SWO?), what types of events/pictures they emphasize) then definitely speak to both LTs/advisors and OCs. Finally, speak to your prospective university advisors...you may be surprised where you encounter resistance to the military, e.g. I had more problems with the people at Oklahoma than I did with Berkeley.

Best of luck!

corvettetimmy

Sorry, corvettetimmy, those weren't my experiences at all at Berkeley. When I went through NSI most people were going to go to either ODU or South Carolina. Also, my 2nd choice school was Idaho and they seemed like a good unit.

To you future OCs: start by checking out unit websites (for CO's letter and bio (Marine or Navy?, flyer or SWO?), what types of events/pictures they emphasize) then definitely speak to both LTs/advisors and OCs. Finally, speak to your prospective university advisors...you may be surprised where you encounter resistance to the military, e.g. I had more problems with the people at Oklahoma than I did with Berkeley.

Best of luck!

No need to apologize. NROTC functions are a small price to pay for the deals that we are getting. Some schools are just a little better deal than others. Just make sure that you are an informed consumer. I was not.

erelislt

Great posts. I am planning to go to either Denver (UC at Denver) or Salt Lake City (Weber State U.). No, I am not from that area, although I have family in Montana. I just want to get away from additional distractions. Anyone knows anybody from either of these schools?

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
Having the interaction with the mids gives you a chance to have an astounding impact on future officers that you will serve with or under.

And to think I put a comment in my personal statement to the effect of positively influencing fellow mids at school.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I'm considering going to WSU which shares the NROTC program that is based at Idaho (they're 15 minutes apart). I'm planning on going to OCS, but I was wondering if I could do it through the NROTC program even though I'm a reservist. I'd shoot for MECEP but that's active only from my understanding, is NROTC even an available option for reservists?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I'm considering going to WSU which shares the NROTC program that is based at Idaho (they're 15 minutes apart). I'm planning on going to OCS, but I was wondering if I could do it through the NROTC program even though I'm a reservist. I'd shoot for MECEP but that's active only from my understanding, is NROTC even an available option for reservists?

Call one of the LTs at the Idaho unit and ask? If they don't know they should be able to refer you to someone who will.

Crowbar

None

MECEP is now for active duty and active reservists.

As far as NROTC, you can take the classes, but can't be on an NROTC scholarship and in the reserves at the same time.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Does anyone have any experience with the ODU/HRNROTC Unit? H hear that it's the biggest unit in the country. Does anyone have any opinions about there sessions? I will be going to Hampton University (Charlie Company).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Here is my take on the University of Missouri NROTC unit.

PROs:
-OC's and MCECP's do NOT have to go through NSO.
-Lab is only once a week, from 3:00 to 5:00 PM.
-PT only two days a week, although it is pretty early at 5:45.
-$10,000 a year voucher should be enough to pay for all tuition, with a little extra coming back into the service member's pocket at the end of the year.
-The unit staff is pretty awesome. The CO is an NFO!
-This semester (and it is going to continue this way) we did away with all fund collecting and went to a all dues system. It works well for all, but particularly for the OC's who have the coin and would gladly shell out 150 bones to not have to work the whole semester.
-Mizzou Rec Center. http://www.mizzourec.com/
This gym is incredible and included in the price of tuition.
-HOT girls...lots of them.
-Really cheep booze: the local establishments like to keep us hydrated with quarter draws, .75 cent triple shot wells, 2 dollar pitchers and the like for specials.
-Mizzou football kicks ass!
-Cheap housing and apartments for rent.

CONs:
-There are so many MCECPs and so few OC's that the unit is kind of loosing its Navy identity.
-It seems that we are getting voulentold to march in every parade in town...I don't see this trend going away any time soon.
-PT is pretty stiff, so this may be a pro depending on how much you like PT. However, last weeks pack and rifle, boots and 'utes hump with log PT, and log run added for good measure is not my idea of fun.