• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Squadron Vehicles

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It seems like out here, it is almost exclusively a former Tomcat/VF thing, specifically the two seat guys. I can't think of any single seat squadrons that have one, nor any that have a VA heritage, though maybe I am forgetting someone. Then again, nobody that I'm aware of out here wears colored shit hots either like they do out west.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems like out here, it is almost exclusively a former Tomcat/VF thing, specifically the two seat guys. I can't think of any single seat squadrons that have one, nor any that have a VA heritage, though maybe I am forgetting someone. Then again, nobody that I'm aware of out here wears colored shit hots either like they do out west.
I am a little vague on it, but I seem to remember a west coast VS squadron with a nice ride. The windshield washer system was diverted into the "cockpit" where it dispensed spirits discretely from the tank under the hood.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That Garudas one is actually down at the museum in P'Cola now. They drove it cross country to drop it off. Off the top of my head the JOPA mobiles up here now are: VAQ-134's E Series Van, VAQ-137's Rook Bus, and VAQ-135's former spec ops truck that they obtained from DRMO in Bagram. Here's the 135 truck. (It's still being "improved") I'll try to get some pictures of the rest.
The Rook bus is equipped with a pneumatic horn that they somehow got from a train locomotive. It's effing loud.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The Rook bus is equipped with a pneumatic horn that they somehow got from a train locomotive. It's effing loud.

There's a whole market for those horns out there. Look up "train horn car" on YouTube sometime for some amusement.

I seriously considered buying one to encourage the snowbirds to not drive 38 mph side by side in a 55 mph zone around here.

My wife was concerned that I might cause a heart attack in one of them.

I didn't really see that as disqualifying for my plan, but I ended up not doing it anyway.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess it's still an Airpac v Airlant culture difference. Don't know about today, but Airpac Sqdns in the '70s/'80s, were a hotbed for Squadron wheels. At NAS Lemoore, the O'Club dedicated some 20 primo parking spots to "Mascot" cars only, with a spot (with huge painted sqdn patch), for each fleet unit on base, ~20 sqdns at that time. So VA Sqdns then, were big players in that game.

OBTW, visited NAS Lemoore several years ago, the O'Club lot was barren, even during the only few hours a day, twice a week when it was actually open! What have 'they' done to my Navy?:(

Below, is my personal A-4 "Bughawk", a plain old '65 VW, which my maint. crew carried into the hangar (without my knowledge) whilst I was TAD to NFL for 3 days (1973). During that period, they painted it haze gray, installed genuine A-4 fuel probe & tailhook, lettered (VA-127) modex/tail letters, intake dangers etc., then carried it back to my parking spot. Arrived back on Monday and was stunned, "what happened to me Bug"? I was actually quite pleased.. (much to the relief of my Maint Chief)!:D
BzB

Attachments

• A-4 Bughawk2 001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84

East

东部
Contributor
32nd TFS (The Queens Finest) USAFE squadron vehicle circa 1985.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 95

Renegade One

None
I guess it's still an Airpac v Airlant culture difference...
BzB
I dunno…may have started that way (mostly from having "squadron pass-down vehicles" at NAS Cubi Point during WW-Nam…just my guess...), but the sweetest squadron vehicle I ever saw was at NAS Oceana in the mid-90's…a real, no shit two-decker London bus painted red. Never saw the inside…probably tricked-out nicely, but it made an impression. VF-11 "Red Rippers"? Anyone? Bueller?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As promised, the Rook bus.

Attachments

• 2013-04-28_13-24-20_789.jpg
    2013-04-28_13-24-20_789.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wondering where the Marines got this vehicle... E-Bay? Maybe they have their own Crash/Rescue Crew at Miramar!
VMFA-232 Fire Truck.jpg
BzB