• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Speeding Ticket Protocol After Commissioning

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I did some searching but couldn't really find the procedure/consequences.

I was just curious what happens once you are commissioned and are pursuing your wings or are already winged if you get a speeding ticket. Are you allowed x number of chances before you are stripped of your wings? Do you report tickets to your command?

Not that I'm planning on speeding or breaking the law, but I got into a discussion about this earlier and didn't know what generally happens.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just curious what happens once you are commissioned and are pursuing your wings or are already winged if you get a speeding ticket. Are you allowed x number of chances before you are stripped of your wings? Do you report tickets to your command?

I have gotten several speeding tickets in my time in the Navy, never had any problems. I mentioned them to my immediate superior, but they just said okay and left it at that. There is no quota and you will not lose your wings.

That is for minor traffic violations. If you get a more serious ticket that could get you jail time, you definitely need to tell your COC.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
save gas. drive the speed limit.

don't hide it if someone asks. will anyone ask? not likely. as long as you don't get arrested for it, speeding tickets are usually treated like small deals if they aren't a recurring issue.

MasterBates

I got a 100+ MPH ticket. My CO could have cared less.

The MO, however did care that he lost me for a day of FCF when I was in court fighting the ticket. Shit happens. I won.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
My CO couldn't have cared less.
Fixed. Sorry, I know it's not the Grammar Nazi thread, but I hate that one...

As to speeding tickets: I have more than I can count, and it hasn't affected my career at all. Drive around in your flight suit as often as possible when in Pensacola. You'd think with all the SNAs/SNFOs that the cops would hate us, but I got pulled over 6 times during my 18 months there, and was only written 1 ticket. One of the times I wasn't ticketed, I was pulled over for 90 in a 55 on I-110.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I got a 100+ MPH ticket. ... Shit happens. I won.

That's probably why they decided to put you back in Jets!

Seriously though, I need your courtroom secret. How in the hell did you win that one?

Lastly, how do you go 100 mph in a dually pulling your house?! :eek::D

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Fixed. Sorry, I know it's not the Grammar Nazi thread, but I hate that one...

As to speeding tickets: I have more than I can count, and it hasn't affected my career at all. Drive around in your flight suit as often as possible when in Pensacola. You'd think with all the SNAs/SNFOs that the cops would hate us, but I got pulled over 6 times during my 18 months there, and was only written 1 ticket. One of the times I wasn't ticketed, I was pulled over for 90 in a 55 on I-110.

I-110 is a beast! They've been working on that road since I was swimmin' around in my dad's sac.

MasterBates

It was January, 0645. About 28 degrees out. I would have FROZEN to death if I was going that fast.

I was really going 80 in a 70, but he ticketed me for 84, but wrote "actual speed 105" on the ticket so I would look like an ass if I went to fight it.

When I went to fight it in court, there were 4 or 5 other guys in there with the same deal from the same cop. We all admitted to the judge we were doing 10 over, but got tickets for 14 over, with a note saying we were going much faster.

Judge also rode the same model Triumph as me, and he knew there was NO WAY you could go 100mph on a Bonneville and not know it. Or freeze in winter in Jax doing it. Having ridden a few times on the weekend with said judge probably did not hurt.

Some days it just helps to know the judge. It was dumb luck I got him, but there had been a pattern of ticketing by the Jax Sheriff around that time to pad their revenues by writing tickets like that. For a while, if your ticket fit that pattern you had a good chance of getting it reduced to what you admitted to, or just dropped.

GroundPounder

Sounds like that deputy was a little challanged.

I would also question why their department would even let a ticket with that type of notation get through. There are always enough people going 30+ miles an hour over the limit on any radar approved road to make good cases all day long.

It might not seem like it sometimes, but most of us realize that there are reasons for traffic laws and there is room for common sense. For example, if I were to stop someone at 0200 on a four lane road going 75 in a 45 and sober, chances are good that they get a warning. The same road at 1400, weaving in and out of traffic at 65 mph is more likely get you a ticket.

In most places in Georgia, anything over 100 MPH gets you a ride to the jail to post a cash bond.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To answer the original question: nobody gives a shit about a speeding ticket. DUI will definitely get you kicked out of the program, maybe FNAEB'ed in the Fleet, to say nothing of anything felonious (hit-and-run, etc). The "un-officer-like qualities" catch-all will get you gone if Higher thinks you're likely to embarass the service again.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You pay it (or contest it as MB did), then pray your insurance doesn't drop you or raise your rates and you press on with life. Simple enough.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I-110 is a beast! They've been working on that road since I was swimmin' around in my dad's sac.
Saudi that was in Primary with me got pulled on I-110 going....105mph.....his excuse, he thought the speed limit was 110mph.....the cop laughed and showed him the difference between the signs.:D

In most places in Georgia, anything over 100 MPH gets you a ride to the jail to post a cash bond.
Georgia?:icon_rage I had a cop give me a ticket in Brunswick (95 North) several years back, yes I was speeding (like 15 over), no it was not still June 30th at 2330. He wrote the ticket for the previous calendar day while it was actually July 1 and I had a receipt from a gas station proving I was still in Jacksonville at 2332.:icon_rage:icon_rage:icon_rage

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saudi that was in Primary with me got pulled on I-110 going....105mph.....his excuse, he thought the speed limit was 110mph.....the cop laughed and showed him the difference between the signs.:D
I'm convinced that there are foreign studs who are good to go, ones who really have language trouble, and ones who skate by by becoming pros at the don't-a speak-a da eenglish game.