• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be an Officer....Recruiter Advice.

DIVO

I've been poking around several threads for the past few months and thought I would provide some guidance. A bit of background - I've been doing this a while. I take my job seriously and truly feel I am impacting the Navy by helping fill the Wardroom with good candidates. I have a high selection rate - if I work with you and you are not selected for anything, it's probably because I think you are crappy and would hate to find you in my wardroom someday. There are exceptions, but for the most part, my non selects are because they are lacking. It is the law recruiters work with anyone who is minimally qualified - keep that in mind as well. And I am a law follower - doesn't mean I have to help you get selected. (Remember this as all recruiters have input in your kit).

First - good on you for being on here trying to navigate the application process...now my two cents.

Recruiters -- some care, some don't. Some are good, some are not. Some know what they are doing, some don't. You are able to work with recruiters not in your area - as long as you write a letter stating WHY. If you find your recruiter is not up to speed - find one that is and write the letter. I have worked reconsideration packages that should have been picked up the first time if the recruiter was any good.

Remember - Recruiting is usually NOT their normal Navy job. And there is a ton of BS in recruiting that has nothing to do with recruiting people - all admin crap that we have to do. In addition - minor screening occurs to be placed in this job. Some people JUST DON'T CARE and they took recruiting as their sly exit out of the Navy. I had an LT who HATED this job and unfortuately his recruits sufferred...

Medical - Don't offer more info then needed - when in doubt, ask a hypothetical question. If your recruiter knows, they need to divulge it. And stick to your prescreen at MEPS - they are not your friend and will DQ you if you make crap up (an amazing number of people make up crap to later find out that whatever they said is not the case). COMMON SENSE PREVAILS - have a scar? Bring it up. Used your best friends inhaler for kicks? Keep it to yourself. Went to your school counselor because your best friend started dating your girlfriend? Your mom said you have ADD-- is your mom a doctor?!?! Seriously... have some common sense.

Don't DQ yourself by asking questions. If you don't have MED DOCS - then is it worth bringing it up? There are TONS of so sad MEPS stories out there, don't be one of them. But with that being said, don't flat out lie.

Be on top of your shit - provide what is needed immediately. And be pro-active. You are applying for a job - so do the work. Get your med docs. Go above and beyond the checklist. If you want to be an officer - start acting like one and be one step ahead of the game.

Think like the board. I would pick someone who provided five LORS and an officer interview over someone who just did the checklist. Board members have been in the Navy for a while - they want to find something in applicants to relate to - in addition - LOR's need to be from PEOPLE WITH TITLES. The board has titles - so they respect titles. ANY TITLE. They will not know these people -- small business owner? Their title should be CEO (because that is still true). Have a friend who has a dad who was an Admiral? GET AN INTERVIEW! Interviews are great because they don't have to know you... I'm fairly sure the board looks for white space on the application (not good), your GPA, ASTB score, reads part of your motivational statement (if the begining sucks, then they stop reading), and looks at the titles of your LOR's. Make those parts shine - and if they don't provide and explanation. I am also fairly sure there are cut offs - Those with this - automatic pro-rec Y - those that fall below this standard - Pro rec N-- it's the middle where there's discussion. You want to make sure if you are in that middle, you have a tiebreaker in your kit. Which I think is above and beyond the checklist.

Motivational statement - sell yourself -- don't talk about the benefits of the Navy (we know them already). Tell the board why YOU will make an outstanding officer - what skills/expereince/education do you have that will benefit the Navy? Show you have an understanding of what it means to be a Naval Officer. Relate your experiences to serving as an officer. Figure out what your angle will be -- 3.0 GPA, but involved in sports and community service? Then you are well balanced. Super high GPA but no activities? Then you are intellectual - the Navy needs all kinds... Diversity - any diverse experience - BRING IT UP! If you went on a mission - talk about what you learned and relate to the military. If you were raised in a bi-cultural home- do the same. The Navy desires to diversify, so prove your understanding of culture and why it is important.

Eliminate opportunity for the board to speculate - have a DUI? Submit a hand written statement explainin what you learned from the situation, how you dedicated your life to upholding the law and why this experience will make you a better officer. Low GPA and high ASTB score? Submit and handwritten statement telling the board your ASTB score is the true indicator of your intelligence. Explain how your focus in school was to get the total college learning expereince and participated in blahblahblah.

Advocate for yourself -- don't bug your recruiter - but stay on top of your kit. And coffee - the applicants who brought coffee (and remembered my processor) went to the top of the list. Not because I want free coffee, but it showed me a glimpse of what type of officer they might be - thoughful and considerate of my processor (who is often forgotten). I want those people in the Navy. Whiny applicants who think they are awesome... really? Do I ever want that person to show up in my Wardroom?

Last - take everything you read on here with a grain of salt - trust but verify. I've read some stuff that is not true. And don't talk about the Blue Angels or Top Gun in your statement. Although it provides much laughter in my office... Good luck.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
- if I work with you and you are not selected for anything, it's probably because I think you are crappy and would hate to find you in my wardroom someday. There are exceptions, but for the most part, my non selects are because they are lacking. It is the law recruiters work with anyone who is minimally qualified - keep that in mind as well. And I am a law follower - doesn't mean I have to help you get selected. (Remember this as all recruiters have input in your kit).

I didn't read it all because I couldn't get passed the quote above.

I'm pretty sure all the info is helpful but to open with the above statements shows how arrogant you are and possibly power hungry as well. You state you follow the law, but only because you have to. People like you are why the law was written. While I know you do some screening, to intentionally not make someone's package the best it can be because you don't like them is wrong.

You are not a selection board.

DIVO

Never said didn't like... I said crappy. And lacking. If you ever recruit - you'll understand what I mean. If you call me at two in the morning to cancel your MEPS appt because you are drunk -- crappy and lacking. If you lie to me about pot smoking, but was truthful to the Marine recruiter - lacking integrity. My favorite has been being arrested for shoplifting after submitting to the board. But thanks for the assumption I am arrogant and power hungry. Like I said, it was my two cents...

DIVO

While I know you do some screening, to intentionally not make someone's package the best it can be because you don't like them is wrong.

And on page four of the APSR -- Recruiter Comments -- for recruiters to not write a truthful evaluation of their experience with you is wrongand misleading. So make sure your experience with your recruiter is one they WANT to write about and to only have good things to say. Don't give them a reason to not write a glowing one. The board reads this. And from what I've been told, on tie breakers - they look at who the recruiter is and their past recommendations (this info came from a board member).

exNavyOffRec

On the recruiter comments I would put meaningful info, in one case (CEC) when I met a board member the comment was that my comments pushed that person into the Pro Y pile as I was able to talk about their family background, meeting the parents, seeing how supportive the family was, etc.....

LET73

Good info. Remember, there are almost certainly more qualified people than there are billets available--it's not as though you're doing your recruiter a favor by simply expressing interest. Make your recruiter want to help you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Damn DIVO, beat me to the punch. Been meaning to post an updated Recruiters post that RockyMountainNFO made a while back. Good stuff, agree with it all.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any recruiter comment that is going to negatively impact an applicant's chances must be supported by details. Unless the recruiter is going to lie wholesale about an applicant just to keep him from selecting there is nothing wrong with supplying negative info. Not arrogant. Not power hungry. That is his job. OCS applicants don't interview with the board. The recruiter is their eyes and ears. The recruiter spends more time with an applicant than the board spends reviewing the file. If the board does not find support warranting a negative comment they can ignore it because, yes, the recruiter is not the board.

I don't get the discomfort with a recruiter making supportable negative comments about an applicant. Isn't that what officers and Chiefs do every day in counseling sessions and fitreps? It is ok to not recommend a sailor for advancement or change of rate but not ok for that same officer to not recommend an applicant be selected?

DIVO

And just as in FITREPS and EVALS -- key words -- not negative words... if I write, applicant would greatly benefit from the rigors of OCS -- that's my way of saying they are not ready. Or stands ready to learn Navy values and leadership -- means they don't have it now.... and begs the question - why don't they have Navy values? Also - why would the board select someone if the recruiter doesn't mark them as highly qualified?

P3 F0

None
DIVO's ethos aside, his post was great. This is one of the greatest parts about sites like this--getting the ground truth out to those that want to know. I don't have a problem with anything he wrote, but to me it's irrelevant. What matters is that's the way he operates, and he's sharing that to the potential benefit of others. Even better that it's been corroborated by a peer. So thanks for taking the time, DIVO.

BackOrdered

Contributor
DIVO's ethos aside, her post was great. This is one of the greatest parts about sites like this--getting the ground truth out to those that want to know. I don't have a problem with anything she wrote, but to me it's irrelevant. What matters is that's the way she operates, and she's sharing that to the potential benefit of others. Even better that it's been corroborated by a peer. So thanks for taking the time, DIVO.

FIFY! ;)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also - why would the board select someone if the recruiter doesn't mark them as highly qualified?
Maybe because they have more experience than you do, or maybe they see a little of themselves in the applicant...there could be any number of reasons. You are presenting yourself to be the end all be all of who is qualified to be an officer. You are a filter, not a gatekeeper. Some of the best officers I have ever worked with had some of shitiest backgrounds.

And calling a small business owner a CEO is usually a bit of a stretch at best and sometimes flat out wrong at worst. If it were me reading that in someone's package, I might think, "Hey, what's else are they inflating?" Other than that, it's good to know that sucking up and kissing ass (ala bringing coffee) is a ticket to the top of the list. I'll have to remember that next time I interview someone.

While the information in this post is generally good, I think the tone is over the top.