• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be a CAG (but can't)...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i would guess there has never been one but could a marine be a cag?
I seem to recall a drug deal a few years back when the VMFA squadrons came back to the boat where the Navy was going to allow a Marine CAG in one CVW in exchange for letting a USN CAPT be the MAG-12 CO in Iwakuni. Can't recall the details.

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk,

So you are saying Poodle is not a good rep for E2's. He was our CAG and it was not a good experience.

He's not a good rep for anything or anyone. He was the CO of 120 when I was there and all I can say is, it was the worst experience of my career. Worst leader I've ever seen and how someone gets that far being that bad blows my mind. He is now retired and the Navy is better off.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Umm, how did that work turn out- for the CVW and for the MAG? At the time I got the impression a lot of people were, to put it delicately, scratching their heads over why Big Navy/Big USMC would attempt such an experiment.

edit- work out --> turn out

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall, HQMC pushed for it in return for putting VMFA squadrons back in some CVWs. The MAG-12 thing was the Navy's compromise. Some VFA guys probably know more detail about the whole VMFA augment thing.

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, but I don't see how sea time is relevant to a specific community being a CAG? Since the discussion is about if specific communities should be excluded from being selected as a CAG due to platform or mission, what does sea time have to do with anything?

I doubt that a CAG gets more sea time than the CO of a Big Deck Amphib and both VP and helo bubbas can command a big deck. So, sea time is irrelevant to whether a helo pilot or other community that is not "pointy nose" can be an Airwing Commander.

So, I guess I am reading your post and I'm saying "so what"...

Not relevant at all to who can be CAG. But something you have to think about in the who wants to be CAG discussion. To me, it's a "be careful what you ask for" issue (like more of our CO's deploying on the CVN now). As I said, to some people that won't matter. But it would to me.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Umm, how did that work turn out- for the CVW and for the MAG? At the time I got the impression a lot of people were, to put it delicately, scratching their heads over why Big Navy/Big USMC would attempt such an experiment.

my google fu is weak (distracted by football) right now, but I don't think this was an "experiment", not certain though. Thinking WWII, Korea, and maybe even Viet Nam - I defer to our more seasoned members for any insight on that.

As I recall, HQMC pushed for it in return for putting VMFA squadrons back in some CVWs. The MAG-12 thing was the Navy's compromise. Some VFA guys probably know more detail about the whole VMFA augment thing.

This helps to explain the bigger picture. Seems like a bit of quid pro quo...?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Not relevant at all to who can be CAG. But something you have to think about in the who wants to be CAG discussion. To me, it's a "be careful what you ask for" issue (like more of our CO's deploying on the CVN now). As I said, to some people that won't matter. But it would to me.

I wasn't very clear here with my actual point, so I will try again: I don't think there is a whole lot of interest in the job from helo guys of my peer group. Maybe that will change with guys on their first tour now as more of them spend time in the air wing, but I think a lot of helo guys wouldn't see the same attraction in the job that a tac air guy does.

jmcquate

Contributor
i would guess there has never been one but could a marine be a cag?
Old post
jmcquate said:
Now that Marine Corps squadrons are integrated into Carrier Air Wings, can a Marine Corps O-6 become a CAG?​
Yes, it has already happened.

Marine CAG for CVW-9

Technically he is not the first Marine CAG as far as I know, the CO of VMF(AW)-212 took over as a temporary CAG in Vietnam when Commander Stockdale was shot down in 1965.

Marine 'CAG'

Will it probably happen often? My guess is no, since it is not a core USMC mission.

Flash, Jan 23, 2009Report

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wasn't very clear here with my actual point, so I will try again: I don't think there is a whole lot of interest in the job from helo guys of my peer group. Maybe that will change with guys on their first tour now as more of them spend time in the air wing, but I think a lot of helo guys wouldn't see the same attraction in the job that a tac air guy does.

That could be considered a sort of catch-22. I don't know if there is a hard and fast instruction that says no helo guys as CAG but considering all the work that goes into understanding how the in's and out's of an airwing works just for shits and giggles doesn't seem to be that attractive to most.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Read the aviation major command board precept. A requirement for CVW command and is "significant career experience in carrier aviation operations." Note this is the same requirement for CVN command. "Significant career experience in carrier aviation operations" is defined later to be completion of a DH and/or CO tour in a squadron deploying aboard CVNs, specifically including CVW helicopter squadrons and excluding "expeditionary" VFA and VAQ squadrons.

Also not that other major commands are specifically limited to VAW/VAQ/VFA.

For comparison, the current MCMRON SEVEN commadore is a HSC pilot who had no prior experience in MIW. He has command of four ships and is expected to be the day to day MIW expert in theater. Proof that at the O-6 command level, the navy is looking for well rounded leaders.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I guess we'll just disagree. I know of a couple of HS skippers who lobbied pretty hard to be considered for CAG. In fact, one actaully sent a letter saying that if he didn't screen for CAG, he would retire.
The Navy called his bluff and he did retire...

I think many of the HS (now CVW-HSC) would be VERY interested in seeing a helo pilot become a CAG. While I don't feel a helo guy is the right fit for the job, I was in the minority in many of the discussions held with my squadron mates.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
For comparison, the current MCMRON SEVEN commadore is a HSC pilot who had no prior experience in MIW. He has command of four ships and is expected to be the day to day MIW expert in theater. Proof that at the O-6 command level, the navy is looking for well rounded leaders.
This was a special circumstance, as the original officer selected was an MCM guy.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^but the guy before him was an HS guy. illinijoe is a future CAG.