• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be a CAG (but can't)...

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
First, the implication wasn't that CAG leads all the strikes, but you would certainly want to make a CAG from someone who had a strikelead qual.

Second, the RMC is not usually a helo...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We can't afford to fly, and the russians can't afford to play.
Well the Russians didn't play for the VPI ASW competitions. It was the U.S., U.K., Austrilian, French, German, Candian, etc. subs. They would be tasked specifically for the event. We got their crews drunk too afterward.

jmcquate

Contributor
Well the Russians didn't play for the VPI ASW competitions. It was the U.S., U.K., Austrilian, French, German, Candian, etc. subs. They would be tasked specifically for the event. We got their crews drunk too afterward.

How was Il-38 Orionsky as a platform?

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
We have all seen all manner of aviators. From the amazing to the "how is it you are still allowed to fly, or promoted, or haven't killed yourself (or someome else) yet?" They come from all platforms too. Without a doubt there are some helo guys that would make better CAGs than VFA guys. Same goes for the other platforms too. Recovering LSO has made excellent points though. The number one job of the air wing is to launch from the carrier and destroy stuff. CAG needs to be intimately familiar with his capabilities.

Who does most of the destroying? Therefore who does most of the planning? Therefore who understands strike warfare from the carrier the best? Is this black and white? Definitely not. But your average senior VFA guy is going to know a lot more about strike warfare than the average guy from other communities. There are so many aspects to consider from threats, route, strike composition, weapon selection, SEAD support, tanker support, command and control, etc. No, the strike lead isn't an expert on all of those things, but he is generally trained to a higher level among all the aspects than other members of the air wing. I'm not as current as I used to be but I believe NSAWC doesn't even allow non-VFA guys to partake in the SLUI course due to it having been pretty much a waste of time.

In order, this is how I would rank the average level of integrated strike warfare understanding: F/A-18 aircrew, E-2 NFO, EA-6B ECMO or E/A-18G aircrew, EA6-B pilot (yes, behind the ECMO or G crew), E-2 pilot, H-60 pilot. There are standard exceptions to this: a PTI pilot is right up there with the ECMO or G crew, CAEWS trained pilot is right up there with the E-2 NFO.

Heck, depending on the individuals I might very well take a RWWS instructor over a VFA guy who went through one air wing as a wingman and then did an FRS tour, didn't get his strike lead as a DH, went to some staff job and came back as an XO. This is the grey areas. Keep in mind that the cream does not always rise to the top and the single anchor VFA guys run most of the show so things tend to flow along their lines. Having said that I have seen all but an H-60 CAG.