• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So you want to be a CAG (but can't)...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a non-strike guy's opinion :D, but to me it makes more sense that a VAW NFO make CAG than a VAW pilot.

The irony? My CAG on cruise was a VAW pilot and was awesome.
Would you make the same assessment for the VAQ community?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Would you make the same assessment for the VAQ community?

I wouldn't, I would argue that the VAQ pilots are more exposed to the strike mission simply due to the nature of their aircraft and the setup of the pilot and ecmo seating layout in the cockpit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't, I would argue that the VAQ pilots are more exposed to the strike mission simply due to the nature of their aircraft and the setup of the pilot and ecmo seating layout in the cockpit.
Your credibility is once again affirmed. ;) If we're talking about a continuum of experience & qualification, the VAQ pilot ACTC syllabus is identical to that of the ECMO. I don't think the same is true for the VAW folks.

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

No, it was DWOO and he didn't make CAG....and he was a COD driver with a few hundred Tomcat and Hawkeye hours. I knew CAG Trent as well. My old DCAG and CAG was Captain Klunder, now Admiral Klunder, another E-2 driver. Then of course, I'm sure we are all aware of CAG Pawloski and the name he made for himself and the E-2 community, not good and too bad as well. I don't think he is representative of the Hawkeye community at all, IMO of course.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
No, it was DWOO and he didn't make CAG....and he was a COD driver with a few hundred Tomcat and Hawkeye hours. I knew CAG Trent as well. My old DCAG and CAG was Captain Klunder, now Admiral Klunder, another E-2 driver. Then of course, I'm sure we are all aware of CAG Pawloski and the name he made for himself and the E-2 community, not good and too bad as well. I don't think he is representative of the Hawkeye community at all, IMO of course.

CVW-14's current (final?) CAG is an E-2 NFO and former skipper of -120.

http://cvw-14.ahf.nmci.navy.mil/cag.htm

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk,

So you are saying Poodle is not a good rep for E2's. He was our CAG and it was not a good experience.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
There is another piece to this discussion that you have to consider. CAG's (and CVN CO's even more so) spend a lot more time at sea than, for instance, a maritime or helo post-CO. A LOT more time. Yes, they have a chance at flag where helo guys hit a glass ceiling, but they are also in their mid 40's and still going to sea (over and over again in many cases, especially the deep draft guys).

I'm sure there are people reading this saying "so what?", but that is a huge price to pay in my book.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i would guess there has never been one but could a marine be a cag?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
There is another piece to this discussion that you have to consider. CAG's (and CVN CO's even more so) spend a lot more time at sea than, for instance, a maritime or helo post-CO. A LOT more time. Yes, they have a chance at flag where helo guys hit a glass ceiling, but they are also in their mid 40's and still going to sea (over and over again in many cases, especially the deep draft guys).

I'm sure there are people reading this saying "so what?", but that is a huge price to pay in my book.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how sea time is relevant to a specific community being a CAG? Since the discussion is about if specific communities should be excluded from being selected as a CAG due to platform or mission, what does sea time have to do with anything?

I doubt that a CAG gets more sea time than the CO of a Big Deck Amphib and both VP and helo bubbas can command a big deck. So, sea time is irrelevant to whether a helo pilot or other community that is not "pointy nose" can be an Airwing Commander.

So, I guess I am reading your post and I'm saying "so what"...