• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So this is what I heard...please confirm/debunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Okay, so KyCntryBoy and I were up at Great Lakes this past weekend for his brother's graduation from boot, and we heard some scuttlebutt that instead of Marine Gunnery Sergeants/Staff Sergeants as DIs at OCS, that we will now have Chief PO RDCs (Recruit Development Commanders, I think) as DIs. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Ive seen chiefs dealing with OCSrs down here, but not any marines. Im not sure if that means there are no marine DIs though...

aeronerd

Hummer guy
Not true... You will have both USMC Gunnery Sargeants and Chief Petty Officers as part of your class team. The third member of your class team is an officer, usually a LT. Sometimes the chiefs are Senior Chiefs or Master Chiefs. DI's are always gunny's. You'll get to know them all very well. :)

metro

Okay, just making sure. Evidently these boot-cruits didn't know what the hell they were talking about...or at least not "all of it". :icon_wink

Call me crazy, but I'm glad...I'm kinda looking forward to the Gunnys...just for the experience. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Don't be a self-hater. If you want to have some Gunny yell at you, join the Marines. Believe it or not there are some hard ass Chiefs out there who will make you wet yourself just as fast as a Gunny ever could. They aren't all 40lbs overweight with a coffee cup. I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am just tired of people thinking Marines are so locked on and the Navy is so lazy. I am sure that isn't what you were trying to imply but it came across that way to me.

metro

ET-Mike,

Definitely wasn't trying to sell the Chiefs short at all. I'm sure there are plenty of Chiefs who are just as hardass as Marine Gunnys.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ET-Mike said:
Don't be a self-hater. If you want to have some Gunny yell at you, join the Marines. Believe it or not there are some hard ass Chiefs out there who will make you wet yourself just as fast as a Gunny ever could. They aren't all 40lbs overweight with a coffee cup. I don't mean to sound like an ass but I am just tired of people thinking Marines are so locked on and the Navy is so lazy. I am sure that isn't what you were trying to imply but it came across that way to me.
Although there are exceptions (of course), I don't agree that chiefs in general are as "hard ass" as the average Marine DI. It has nothing to do with being locked on or lazy. It's just the culture of the organization. There's a reason that chiefs are stereotyped as they are. Draw your own conclusions.

Brett

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
in my OCS experience i was generally more afraid of marine DI's than Chiefs... they had better jokes too.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
ET-Mike said:

ETMike,
No offense but I don't think you've had the Marine DI experience. A trained killer with bulging muscles and a steel jaw who can outrun your whole class wearing a smokey bear cover is vastly different than a Crypto Tech whose got 14 years and 4 deployments aboard the computer network USS CUBICLE.

In fact, whenever some of the Chiefs at OCS tried to throw down some hurt, it made them look funny (imho). And I only remember one Senior Chief at OCS who could put up an Outstanding PRT score.

Generally speaking, Chiefs are very good at what they do. But they are not Marine Corps Drill Instructors.

twidget

Deskaholic
It's not really the Chief's job at OCS to punish candidates. They're more of the professional/Navy mentor.

Though he didn't put the fear of God in me like some of the DIs could, when our class CPO (Chief Q(AW)) lead the PT, only the SEAL wanna-be in our class could keep up with him. I think at 37-38? he was in better shape than a few of the DIs, including mine.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
No offense taken, and no, I haven't had the Marine DI experience so I guess I am telling tales out of school here but it just angers me that people just accept negative stereotypes for the Navy instead of trying to improve our image.

Metro-
I know that is not what you were saying.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
twidget said:
It's not really the Chief's job at OCS to punish candidates. They're more of the professional/Navy mentor.

Though he didn't put the fear of God in me like some of the DIs could, when our class CPO (Chief Q(AW)) lead the PT, only the SEAL wanna-be in our class could keep up with him. I think at 37-38? he was in better shape than a few of the DIs, including mine.

Yup, my point was that Chiefs (in general) can't and shouldn't do the job of a DI. They are great at what they do, but it ain't being a DI.
You're right about your class CPO. That's the guy. My memory must be a little hazy from all the nights at the bowling alley as a candi-o because I gave him a promotion.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all do respect, why do you think someone at Great Lakes would have the info on the makeup of OCS in Pensacola? Unless you were hearing this from the most senior levels at Great Lakes, I wouldn't think anyone there is qualified to discuss OCS. Different command, different locations...

metro

That was really the point of posting it here: to try to confirm/deny a "rumor." I wasn't stating that it was fact, just trying to see if anyone else had heard anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.