• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So many classes, so little time! Need some advice on how to extend another semester

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do 5th year benefits still exist? Mid-90's it used to be a given with a technical major.

Fifth year benefits are saved for those with FIVE year degrees....such as Architectural Engineering.

-ea6bflyr ;)

sickboy

pilot
Well, apparently I didn't do as badly as I had thought. My advisor got back to me, and said that I would most likely be able to go on cruise next summer, take double the classes this summer and graduate on time. I didn't fail any classes, I just didn't get the required grade for my major in one of them. He said this way, I would commission right after cruise. There's another Mid doing that this summer, and he said it's not too big of a deal. Cum GPA is still a 2.7.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I've heard of SWOs back in the day who didn't get their first class cruise in for some reason. So when they graduated, they ship selected just like everyone else and went to their first ship, but as a Midshipman. They did their job just like a regular new Ensign, but after 2 or 3 weeks, whatever the min time for a cruise is, they got commissioned and went on with their SWOtavated life. Don't know if they still do that anymore.

sickboy

pilot
I've heard of SWOs back in the day who didn't get their first class cruise in for some reason. So when they graduated, they ship selected just like everyone else and went to their first ship, but as a Midshipman. They did their job just like a regular new Ensign, but after 2 or 3 weeks, whatever the min time for a cruise is, they got commissioned and went on with their SWOtavated life. Don't know if they still do that anymore.

He made it sound like I would service select, graduate, go on cruise, come back to school and commission.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
can mechanical engineering be a 5th year degree? i'm asking because i jacked up my chem class this semester because i think i was overloaded. :eek: so i've asked my mech engineering advisor to lighten my load for the rest of the semesters. but now i don't know if i will even have enough summers to do all of my degree requirements in just 4yrs. :(

even if i can't get any nrotc benefits for the 5th yr, i am wondering if i would be commissioning before or after a 5th yr? when would i have to apply to nrotc for a 5th yr? in my 4th yr? and would i need to do any nrotc stuff at all in a 5th yr? i mean i should have finished all the nrotc classes by my 4th yr. so would i have to pt with nrotc during the 5th yr or do ftx with them and other stuff?

(at vmi, the 5th yr students all seem really laid back and enjoying life, so i think it won't be bad to stay an extra year :))

navy09

None
You guys are nuts, why would you want an extra semester in college? Don't you want to get out there and start getting paid? I'm busting my ass to get out of here on time.

As far as the late 1/C cruise, I've seen it done by people in my unit and I was on cruise with a guy who was doing it. You graduate, go on cruise, return to your unit to commission, then go to your first ship/duty station.

DSL: You'd have to talk to your adviser about your case. Seems like you should be able to get 5th yr benefits for an engineering major. Still, they don't like to give them if you've failed a class or switched majors.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Good God people, don't hurry... enjoy it while it lasts, it don't get much better than whatchagot... I know it sucks wearing stanky clothes and being able to get wasted for a night on 40 bucks with a gyro on the backside but PPPPAAALLLLLEEEEAAAASSEEE... throttle back! Eat mac and cheese, drink beer and take 12 credit hours a quarter if they let you your last year... and thank me later.

Flight school is fun, but every flight is a final exam you might not walk away from if your number is up!

incubus852

pilot
Fifth year benefits are saved for those with FIVE year degrees....such as Architectural Engineering.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Not completely true man. I switched between two different engineering majors and had to take some additional classes. Even with suffering through a semester or two with a course load like this kid, I still had to go for another semester.

Go for 5th year benefits, even if you just need another semester. a) It'll make life easier b) you'll spend more time in college... which doesn't suck. AT ALL.

Apply if you still can, as early as you can, and if it turns out you don't need them, most likely your OI will see that and just cut it short. Or he'll let you keep them and you'll spend your last semester with three classes and all the mid-week parties you can manage.:D

Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics on course loading etc.

incubus852

pilot
can mechanical engineering be a 5th year degree? i'm asking because i jacked up my chem class this semester because i think i was overloaded. :eek: so i've asked my mech engineering advisor to lighten my load for the rest of the semesters. but now i don't know if i will even have enough summers to do all of my degree requirements in just 4yrs. :(

even if i can't get any nrotc benefits for the 5th yr, i am wondering if i would be commissioning before or after a 5th yr? when would i have to apply to nrotc for a 5th yr? in my 4th yr? and would i need to do any nrotc stuff at all in a 5th yr? i mean i should have finished all the nrotc classes by my 4th yr. so would i have to pt with nrotc during the 5th yr or do ftx with them and other stuff?

(at vmi, the 5th yr students all seem really laid back and enjoying life, so i think it won't be bad to stay an extra year :))

If you can clearly demonstrate that you've worked hard, maintained good grades and haven't had to drop a class, then yes, you could be eligible for 5th year benefits. Nothing wrong with taking a victory lap, as long as it's necessary.

I would recommend doing a 5th year over summer classes. Summer isn't the time to be sitting in a classroom. You have the rest of your life to not have summer vacation.

I can't answer to what would happen if you didn't get the benefits. Maybe you could pay out of pocket for the last year and then do a delayed commissioning, or maybe they'll force you to try and get the classes done.

I would just make a strong case that it's in the best interest of the NAVY to let you have 5th years... needs of the Navy...

incubus852

pilot
You guys are nuts, why would you want an extra semester in college? Don't you want to get out there and start getting paid? I'm busting my ass to get out of here on time.

As far as the late 1/C cruise, I've seen it done by people in my unit and I was on cruise with a guy who was doing it. You graduate, go on cruise, return to your unit to commission, then go to your first ship/duty station.

DSL: You'd have to talk to your adviser about your case. Seems like you should be able to get 5th yr benefits for an engineering major. Still, they don't like to give them if you've failed a class or switched majors.

Man. I thought that way once. Now I'm living in a place where there are no sorority girls, no wednesday night house parties just because it's wednesday and a lot less freedom. Not bitching, just cherish what you have for the short time you still have it.