• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So many classes, so little time! Need some advice on how to extend another semester

sickboy

pilot
I'm only asking this here because my advisor has yet to get back to me. I'm wondering what kind of options I have. This past semester I took 21 credits in order to catch up to where I should be after switching majors sophomore year. I'm a Mechanical Engineering major. Needless to say, I have recieved three of my final grades and realized that this semester has done things to me that are illegal in most third world countries. I already have to take one of my major classes again (did not fail, just didn't get the B required). Being a junior now, I'm wondering if I could talk the Navy into letting me take another semester, or switch majors at this point? I'm looking at a 2.6 cumulative optimistically. The one thing I really know is that I refuse to take another 20 credit semester again.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Alright dude, here's a few tidbits of advice from a fellow collegiate who switched majors. First off, don't take 21 credits ever again. There is an incredibly big difference between 4 and 5 classes per semester and trust me, you're better off taking summer classes than trying to cram a crapload of classes into your fall/spring semesters (or respective quarters).

Additionally, "third world" countries are referred to as "developing" these days, not third world. That notwithstanding, sodomy is illegal in most states in the US, too.

If you've not yet had any dealing with the Navy, there's no reason why you can't spend this coming semester and the summer semester busting your ass and getting your grades up. Do it, and begin the application process for OCS towards the end of your summer semester. A 2.6 is pretty rough, but for a MechE it's not realistically that bad. Again, re-take a couple classes you've gotten low grades in and bust your ass the next two semester and I see no reason why you can't break a 3.0.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
What year are you? You switched to mechanical engineering?

I was in a similar boat, but backwards. I was a MechE, but got raped (1.8GPA kinda raped) first semester sophomore year. My LT said 'You're done with engineering. Pick something else," so I went the business route. I had to do 18 credits per semester until I graduated. I also took a summer class at home just before my 1/C cruise. I was still 2 classes short after my senior year, so I had to delay my commissioning two months while I took summer classes.

Delaying commissioning a month or two over the summer isn't really a big deal---getting the Navy to authorize an extra semester is. Be advised that summer classes are usually out of pocket.

Best of luck, schedule some summer classes around cruise, and keep your class advisor informed. Things will go much smoother that way.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If you've not yet had any dealing with the Navy, there's no reason why you can't spend this coming semester and the summer semester busting your ass and getting your grades up. Do it, and begin the application process for OCS towards the end of your summer semester.

This is in the NROTC folder, dude. Hence he is in NROTC, dude, and does not need to apply to OCS, dude.

I do have to agree that look into summer school classes. Try your local community college, cheap and easy. Some units allow you to go greater than 4 years, some don't. Just tell your adviser what's up and s/he should help you out.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
This is in the NROTC folder, dude. Hence he is in NROTC, dude, and does not need to apply to OCS, dude.

I do have to agree that look into summer school classes. Try your local community college, cheap and easy. Some units allow you to go greater than 4 years, some don't. Just tell your adviser what's up and s/he should help you out.

Oh sorry dude I didn't notice, dude.

sickboy

pilot
This 21 credits was catch up after switching from Aerospace. It already factored in me taking summer classes. Thanks for the advice. I emailed my advisor, but I was just wondering if I could get some opinions before he got back to me. As for having prior dealings with the Navy, I was Active duty for two years before I got my scholarship. Thanks for the responses. I know I'm probably over reacting, but this is still freaking me the fvck out.

I figured that someone on here was an NROTC advisor, and they would have a suggestion. It would be nice to sit down with my advisor and have a plan or at least a suggestion.

sickboy

pilot
Alright dude, here's a few tidbits of advice from a fellow collegiate who switched majors. First off, don't take 21 credits ever again. There is an incredibly big difference between 4 and 5 classes per semester and trust me, you're better off taking summer classes than trying to cram a crapload of classes into your fall/spring semesters (or respective quarters).

yeah...I had 7. 6 if you don't count Navsci.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
yeah...I had 7

I took 17-18 credits every semester of college until the last semester of my junior year, and trust me. Don't rush it, your GPA will thank you. Stretch your courses out over the summer if you must but don't overload yourself during the year.

navy09

None
I took 21 this semester, taking 22 next semester. I don't live in the library and I still go out a at least once or twice a week.

It's all about time management. It also has a lot to do with what classes you're taking...21 units of art classes =/= 21 units of math/science classes.

Lobster

yeah...I had 7

7 classes!?!?!?......Duuuuudeeeeeeee :eek:

017965_12.jpg

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I was having sooooo much fun in Aero Eng at OSU that I stayed a full 5 years to get er dun (plus 2-5 week summers before midie cruises). Ended up having to take Swimming my last quarter just to maintain full time status for scholarship. Look into 5th year benifits, your obligation will go up by a year. It will spread your self induced ass raping out a bit and possibly give you the best spring quarter of your life (mine was).

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Graduating on time is for losers and nerds anyway. :icon_zbee

But seriously though, I got killed in Aero Eng the first two years I did it. Then I switched into ISE briefly and was sitting in a dynamics lecture and was like F this, I want to graduate sooner and take easier classes so I'm not always tired and miserable (not the best advice to any browsing kids possibly looking for an internet role model). Staying in engineering would have kept me a full five years with about 17-21 credits per quarter. I eventually switched into International Studies and the major's a joke after spending three years in the college of engineering. All in all, it worked out for me I guess, I picked up SNA and commissioned and graduated from THE Ohio State University about a week ago. Whereas if I stayed in engineering, I wouldn't be graduating until June, which entails of enduring two more quarters of bullshit NROTC and another couple rounds of midterms and finals. I'll take where I'm at now, graduated and stashed at the unit and browsing youtube videos until I leave for p'cola. In the end, the only thing that will hurt me is I am pretty sure I killed any possibility of getting into TPS or wanting to become an astronaut, which was a secondary goal of mine when I was in Aero Eng.

In conclusion, don't sweat it if you have to stay an extra semester or so. We have a handful of fifth years at my unit. Just get your degree, bottom line. It might suck because you might have to pay for the extra quarters out of your pocket like I did. And yes, taking more than 18-21 credits a quarter sucks, but once you finish all the Naval Sciences, it won't be too bad, even if still in engineering. Talk to your adviser.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Alright dude, here's a few tidbits of advice from a fellow collegiate who switched majors. First off, don't take 21 credits ever again.
With Naval Science, you have to. I never had less than 18-21 credits until this quarter, because I finally finished NAVSCI in the spring.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
dude............dude........................dude.

Dude...

Seriously though, yeah summer classes are money. I never took any until my last summer before graduating, and it was the most relaxed college experience of my life. Also agreed...don't take more credits than you can handle just to finish with your friends. The most important thing you can do right now is improve your grades and graduate/commission.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This 21 credits was catch up after switching from Aerospace. It already factored in me taking summer classes. Thanks for the advice. I emailed my advisor, but I was just wondering if I could get some opinions before he got back to me. As for having prior dealings with the Navy, I was Active duty for two years before I got my scholarship. Thanks for the responses. I know I'm probably over reacting, but this is still freaking me the fvck out.

I figured that someone on here was an NROTC advisor, and they would have a suggestion. It would be nice to sit down with my advisor and have a plan or at least a suggestion.

That would be me. I was the NROTC Freshman Advisor at Penn State 02-04. Talk with the ladies at the front desk. They can give you a historical perspective to see if it can be done.
1. Are you going to graduate on time?
If yes, then don't worry about it.
If no, then why.
If it's due to your own failure (not passing a class), then it's on you.
What will most likely occur, is that you would be placed on Leave of Absence until you graduate. Bottom line is that the Navy is not going to pay for your failures/change of major. They may pay for summer sessions so that you can graduate on time.

-ea6bflyr ;)