• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So has anybody gone on and used the King Air 200 type rating earned from VT-35?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you just got done, you wouldn't have been with me. I think you'd remember me though - I'm a 60 GIRL (probably the only female LT).

Where are you going to be stationed next?

Yuma. Already stationed here, just moving to the station side for three-ish more years. There was a 60 guy in my class who was going somewhere in Japan, so I thought that it might be you. I guess not.

Then again, they covered the whole "why we really don't need a type rating" thing pretty clearly in my class, so it probably wouldn't have been you anyway if I had thought about it a little more. Your class probably precipitated that subject a bit for subsequent classes like mine.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
There was a 60 guy in my class who was going somewhere in Japan, so I thought that it might be you. I guess not.

I think the guy you're talking about is actually coming to Atsugi. He was in my old squadron. Was he a big guy who looked like he spent lots of time in the gym (and kinda acted like it)?

Then again, they covered the whole "why we really don't need a type rating" thing pretty clearly in my class, so it probably wouldn't have been you anyway if I had thought about it a little more. Your class probably precipitated that subject a bit for subsequent classes like mine.

lol....could very well have been covered in my class... I just zoned out so much during those power points almost anything could have been said :)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Crazy helo guys :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_rating

Type ratings are apples and oranges to categories, classes, endorsements, privileges on your pilot certificate. It's not usually an issue for helo guys since the last Navy/Marine Corps helo to have a civilian counterpart requiring a type rating was the H-3. (Hueys and the mighty 57 aren't heavy enough--less than 12,500lbs gross usually means no type rating--and the 53, 60, Cobra, and Phrog don't have civilian equivalents anyway.) Mmmm, apples...

Actually there are some civilian companies operating Phrogs now, and the civvie variant of the 60 is the H70. Not flown by a lot of people yet, but it's out there and you can get the type rating. (Even some logging companies operating the 47 of all things.)

ryan1234

That is because it doesn't really matter.

From what I understand the military is the only one who flies the KA 200 above 12,500lbs. Although it belongs on your certificate because we do, expect funny looks from civilian guys with thousands of hours in one and no type rating. You will not get a job flying KA200s because of tha type rating. Even if is on your cert, your experience will be verified from your logbook. Keep in mind that 100 hours (ish) in model is the key number not the type rating i.e. your experience level in a KA200 is very low. So the something cool would be night freight or something similar until more experience is gained.

You're exactly right...

I'm not sure if that one proposed rule went into effect or not requiring a lot of experience for initial type ratings (in a sim).

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=5eab9c334b8d7b71c425d423c0ba4c9d;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20090821%3A1.34;idno=14;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

basically since you guys have an intial type already, you would have less stringent experience requirements for an additional type rating (in this case for an additional turbo-prop type) -

But for people with no turbojet time (ie SIC time), you'll need to do the type rating checkride in the actual aircraft (for a turbojet) - which can be a bit costly.

It's really too bad they couldn't just give you all a type in a King Air 350... that's actually useful.

At least with the -200 you have the insurance required training program all done.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually there are some civilian companies operating Phrogs now, and the civvie variant of the 60 is the H70. Not flown by a lot of people yet, but it's out there and you can get the type rating. (Even some logging companies operating the 47 of all things.)

Really? I knew about the logging 47s, but I didn't know about the Phrogs (I was probably looking at an old type rating list or the wrong part of the list). I think it's the Forestry Service or some government agency that has operated the "Firehawk", but for some reason I remember those being "public use aircraft" (legally not the same pilot and aircraft certification requirements per se as civil or military).

High-fives to my rotorhead friends for threadjacking a King Air thread! :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
But for people with no turbojet time (ie SIC time), you'll need to do the type rating checkride in the actual aircraft (for a turbojet)
Make that turbine time. No turbo-jet, turbo-fan, turbo-prop, turbo-anything specific. Pretty sure they have enough tubine time & total flight time (which is another requirement) from their squadron tours. Helos have turbine engines. I've know 2 Navy helo pilots who got the 737 type using their helo turbine time. But it doesn't matter anyway as they are looking at getting the King Air type rating from the military equivalence regs, not the FAR 142 training center regs. Different animals.

60flyer - If you already have the comm AMEL, I think all you have to do it take a copy of your FSI stuff, C-12 NATOPS check and log book to any FSDO. They should be able to add the type to your ticket.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Make that turbine time. No turbo-jet, turbo-fan, turbo-prop, turbo-anything specific. Pretty sure they have enough tubine time & total flight time (which is another requirement) from their squadron tours. Helos have turbine engines.

60flyer - If you already have the comm AMEL, I think all you have to do it take a copy of your FSI, C-12 NATOPS and log book to any FSDO. They should be able to add the type to your ticket.

I think your logbook needs to show at least 10 hours PIC in the last 12 months.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
60flyer - If you already have the comm AMEL, I think all you have to do it take a copy of your FSI stuff, C-12 NATOPS check and log book to any FSDO. They should be able to add the type to your ticket.

I don't have the AMEL - this is the only plane I've flown besides the -172 and t-34. I bet I have to take an equivalency test for that one, huh....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I don't have the AMEL - this is the only plane I've flown besides the -172 and t-34. I bet I have to take an equivalency test for that one, huh....
If you already took the equivalency test for the ASEL and helo, then the same paperwork for the King Air type will give you the AMEL too. There is only ine test. Should be comm AMEL with instrument rating and type. It's all a paperwork drill.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you already took the equivalency test for the ASEL and helo, then the same paperwork for the King Air type will give you the AMEL too. There is only ine test. Should be comm AMEL with instrument rating and type. It's all a paperwork drill.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

ryan1234

Make that turbine time. No turbo-jet, turbo-fan, turbo-prop, turbo-anything specific. Pretty sure they have enough tubine time & total flight time (which is another requirement) from their squadron tours. Helos have turbine engines. I've know 2 Navy helo pilots who got the 737 type using their helo turbine time. But it doesn't matter anyway as they are looking at getting the King Air type rating from the military equivalence regs, not the FAR 142 training center regs. Different animals.

Ok you may have to type slow to me... I'm not really understanding what you're saying. The new regs say this about getting a turbojet type through a sim (142):

(2) If the type rating is for a turbojet airplane, the applicant must—
(i) Hold a type rating in a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane, and that type rating may not contain a supervised operating experience limitation;
(ii) Have 1,000 hours of flight time in two different turbojet airplanes of the same class of airplane;
(iii) Have been appointed by the U.S. Armed Forces as pilot in command in a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane; or
(iv) Have 500 hours of flight time in the same type of airplane.

This is a fairly new change to the rules... did your friends do it (73 type with the turbine rotorcraft time) recently?

The point I was trying to make is that for an additional turboprop type rating in a sim (say a Dash 8 or King Air 350), they would be exempt of the experience requirements since they have a turboprop type already:

(3) If the type rating is for a turbo propeller airplane, the applicant must—
(i) Hold a type rating in a turbo-propeller airplane of the same class of airplane, and that type rating may not contain a supervised operating experience limitation;
(ii) Have 1,000 hours of flight time in two different turbo-propeller airplanes of the same class of airplane;
(iii) Have been appointed by the U.S. Armed Forces as pilot in command in a turbo-propeller airplane of the same class of airplane; or
(iv) Have 500 hours of flight time in the same type of airplane

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ryan,
Guess they change the 142 reg since I got the 737 type in 2003. The two helo guys were there with me. One for sure had only about 200 hours of fixed-wing time. Just T-34, military equivalency exam for comm ASEL, a quick 3-day comm MEL add-on at ATPs Inc and then K&S Aviation in PHX for the 737 type. He was my sim partner.exam

But it's all moot in this instance anyway since we are talking military equivalency not 142.