• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So has anybody gone on and used the King Air 200 type rating earned from VT-35?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Most guys/gals coming out of VT-35 went ahead and got the type rating and haven't really talked about it since.

Anybody gone on to actually use it and do something cool?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I did smuggle, ahem, import, 2000 ke...sorry, 4400 pounds of 'medicine' from columbia that one time, but other than that, nope.

It's a nice to have...once you look at the money involved in actually flying a king air, you'll know why you got your rich uncle Sam to pay for all that flight training in the first place.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Most guys/gals coming out of VT-35 went ahead and got the type rating and haven't really talked about it since.

That is because it doesn't really matter.

From what I understand the military is the only one who flies the KA 200 above 12,500lbs. Although it belongs on your certificate because we do, expect funny looks from civilian guys with thousands of hours in one and no type rating. You will not get a job flying KA200s because of tha type rating. Even if is on your cert, your experience will be verified from your logbook. Keep in mind that 100 hours (ish) in model is the key number not the type rating i.e. your experience level in a KA200 is very low. So the something cool would be night freight or something similar until more experience is gained.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ What he said. There are a few civilian King Airs needing the type but 99% don't. But get it anyway because type ratings always look good on the application and resume.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor

How did you get the type rating? Is it just something you go show a flight examiner that you fly the king air and they give it to you?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The guy who handles everyone's FAA Mil Equivalency tests takes care of it for you.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I thought it was just show them your logbook with a multi-engine instrument checkride in it and boom, you get the upgrade.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Crazy helo guys :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_rating

Type ratings are apples and oranges to categories, classes, endorsements, privileges on your pilot certificate. It's not usually an issue for helo guys since the last Navy/Marine Corps helo to have a civilian counterpart requiring a type rating was the H-3. (Hueys and the mighty 57 aren't heavy enough--less than 12,500lbs gross usually means no type rating--and the 53, 60, Cobra, and Phrog don't have civilian equivalents anyway.) Mmmm, apples...

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Crazy helo guys :)

Was that for me???? :)

Yeah, so I did the military equivalancy just to get the instrument rating. But now I fly the King Air. All I want is the type rating. Do I just take my logbook to an examiner or is there more involved than that (taking a test)?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
@60flyer: Did you just get out of FSI recently? If so, I'll bet you can figure out who I am pretty quickly.

I did FSI in Aug/Sept.

Hmmmm... Should I know a Harrier guy??? Give me a hint... Or better yet - do you know who I am??

Doh! I missed that part (it says it under your name next to every post). I apologize. And I don't know the answer to your question.

No worries - I don't expect everyone to memorize my bio ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I did FSI in Aug/Sept.

Hmmmm... Should I know a Harrier guy??? Give me a hint... Or better yet - do you know who I am??

No, my fame is limited......except that evidently every LHA/D Air Boss in the navy hates me.

I just got done with FSI and there was a couple of 60 guys there. I was the only Marine/Harrier guy in the class, so if you were in my class you'd know who I am.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I just got done with FSI and there was a couple of 60 guys there. I was the only Marine/Harrier guy in the class, so if you were in my class you'd know who I am.

If you just got done, you wouldn't have been with me. I think you'd remember me though - I'm a 60 GIRL (probably the only female LT).

Where are you going to be stationed next?