• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

smoked by BIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketsizejesus

Do the chickens have large talons?
So did any one else around get smashed by that first BI sim block? Just finished today, and I think I still have a bit of rectal bleeding going on. Not a single 5 in the entire block. My procedures are all down cold, but I keep busting altitude during turning manuevers. I thought it was a scan problem at first, but now I'm pretty sure I'm just undercorrecting. And I'm sure my death grip on the stick wasn't helping either. I did way better when I remembered to use just a few fingers of pressure.

So what I'm wondering is, how many of the really good pilots on this board struggled with BI work? Any good tips on how to improve, things to focus on, etc?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pocketsizejesus said:
So does any one else around get smashed by that first BI sim block? Just finished today, and I think I still have a bit of rectal bleeding going on. Not a single 5 in the entire block. My procedures are all down cold, but I keep busting altitude during turning manuevers. I thought it was a scan problem at first, but now I'm pretty sure I'm just undercorrecting. And I'm sure my death grip on the stick wasn't helping either. I did way better when I remembered to use just a few fingers of pressure.

So what I'm wondering is, how many of the really good pilots on this board struggled with BI work? Any good tips on how to improve, things to focus on, etc?

You didn't get a single 5? So what? Most guys don't even get 4s in BIs. Don't sweat it. Release the death grip. Instruments is about finesse. Make that stick your b1tch... gently. Get in the sim by yourself and try to practice too. Just do BAW manuevers.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pocketsizejesus said:
Nice wording of the question. Now, by default, any of the pilots who respond to this thread are automatically "really good pilots." Sorry, can't help you with the BI problem though. My platform goes low and slow, right on the verge of a stall. Livin on the edge. But I submit that baseball will help your concentration. Go to the batting cages and hit a few rounds. I do it often. Keeps the mind sharp.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I believe the sim instructors are limited in the number of 5s they're allowed to give out. My roommate got a lot of 5s, and one of his instructors said he'd blown his limit for the month. Not sure how true that is, but don't sweat not getting a 5. I didn't get any either, and I'm doing fine in the plane. The plane reacts differently than the sim too, you can't feel your corrections in the sim but you sure can in the plane.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Is it going to to destroy you... probably not, is BI's the best place in the primary syllabus to make your money.... absolutly (unless you are not on JPPT anymore).

About BI's in general... Everyone thinks they are boring as hell. Everyone gets sick of doing them. BI's though are the foundation of instrument flying. Being able to fly an approach is one thing, being able to make the plane do what you want, when you want and how you want is another matter.

If BI's are really hard on you, you need to practice as much as possible.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a rough time in early BI sims, no big deal. It will take time to build a scan and be ahead of the aircraft. Once you get it things will seem to slow down as you start ot get ahead of the plane and mae small corrections. If the sims are the same be very easy on the pedals and use the trim. The plane will be easier.
Insturment flying is a cornerstone of all you will do in the future. A good instrument pilot is a good ordnance pilot etc etc.
It will get better good luck

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Ok, a sim instrustor prescribed this program for me, and by the time I got done with BIs my airwork was sweeet! (even if my SA wasn't) ...

Get in the sim and fly the vertical S pattern over and over, without stopping (1000' climbs and descents at 1000 fpm in a neverending sawtooth, keeping your heading and airspeed steady).

When you're ok at that, practice 30 degree AOB turns for 180 degrees, then reversal, over and over, keeping your altitude and airspeed steady.

Then, level speed change from 120 to 170 and back over and over, holding heading and altitude steady.

In other words, do these three BAW drills to improve your scan and BAW and you'll have time to concentrate on the other stuff you need to learn, rather than just keeping the plane where you want it.

You'll need to get in the sim a few times doing this to get the benefit, but for me it was well worth it.

Good luck and hope that helps.

Kycntryboy

pilot
pocketsizejesus said:
how many of the really good pilots on this board struggled with BI work?
I'm interested in knowing who doesn't think they're good. :icon_smil

pocketsizejesus

Do the chickens have large talons?
Practicing in the sims, as so many of you suggest, is an option that is simply not available around here. Most of last week there were no open time slots at all, and this week isn't looking much better. Believe me, I want nothing more than to get into the sim, but that's just not an option. I think I'm doing at least average here... my end of block score was 1.308. Still feel like I'm getting creamed, however.

orthaj

Trim Trim Trim if your hand isnt on the PCL it is on the elevator or rudder trim and you never ever stop trimming a T-34 (sim). I know some of the sims don't react the same as the gouge (7,8,9? at WF). I struggeled in BI's until I got to the plane and my instructor did nothing but swear at me for not trimming. I took his cussing in stride and eventually figured it out. chair flying works if no sims are available

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
pocketsizejesus said:
Practicing in the sims, as so many of you suggest, is an option that is simply not available around here. Most of last week there were no open time slots at all, and this week isn't looking much better. Believe me, I want nothing more than to get into the sim, but that's just not an option. I think I'm doing at least average here... my end of block score was 1.308. Still feel like I'm getting creamed, however.

Where are you at? I know when I was at Whiting there were usually open slots. Heard that it's a little busier here in Corpus for the 34's.

If you can't get in the sim I don't know how to help ...

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
pocketsizejesus said:
And I'm sure my death grip on the stick wasn't helping either.

Try this, wiggle your toes whenever you think you are too tense. Seriously, it works. It gets your muscles to relax. They teach this at Meridian to guys who are constantly over controlling the stick. Try it next time, I guarantee it will help.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The sims in Corpus are about to be clobbered by 15+ RI studs, so I'd get it while the gettin's good re: practice sim slots. One thing a buddy of mine used to do was sit at Bldg 89 starting an hour before the schedule was about to come out and then immediately sign himself up in any open slots. Kind of obsessive, but if it keeps you flying...

Status
Not open for further replies.