• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Single-Pilot KC-46 ops in INDOPACOM?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Fuzzy on the details, but I heard of someone ingesting something into the F404 on some flavor of F-18. The engine kept chugging and performing within spec. Only after borescoping the motor did they realize it was damaged beyond repair. Impressive capabilities these engines. Also evident why other countries have struggled producing jet engines in the past.

F404 (all legacy hornets) was not FADEC, but it was reliable. I had one lose all engine oil and it had no damage after I landed (though I shut it down in flight). There was a desert storm bird that took a MANPAD to the tailpipe and it kept going. You had to be careful on cold weather high altitude starts though. It would throw a decent 4th of July fireball out the back if you didn't motor it for a while before introducing fuel. I still catch myself doing the same old cold morning motoring habit from those days, on a FADEC 414 that doesn't care. It gets real smoky but it won't overtimp or throw a fire show :)