• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Single-Pilot KC-46 ops in INDOPACOM?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have a buddy that won that lottery. A rare J52 explosion damaged so much he took a rocket ride.
They usually did unless you shut it off quickly. Or so the Martin-Baker alumni told me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They usually did unless you shut it off quickly. Or so the Martin-Baker alumni told me.
I'll never forget how I heard it. Was catching up on a call. What's shaken? "Porsche has a cracked frame. Haven't figured out how to handle it. Shelled out of a Prowler over the Olympics. Bought a boat." What?... No... you did what? "Bought a boat, yeah I know, but I am living on an island now."

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
? Had a FADEC commanded shutdown of an engine in Fallon as a RAG instructor with a a couple of solo students on my wing on their live day with live weapons of my own. I remember being very cavalier about it, like "Huh, my engine is rolling back. Weird. Huh, look ENG page says Shutdown, that's not supposed to happen."

FADEC just up and completely shit itself internally without any warning which would have been me in a parachute in a current single engine aircraft with where I was.
FADEC issue only; the motor was mechanically fine?

That’s the first one of those I’ve heard of. Thanks for sharing.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
F-35 has dual FADECs on its engine. If one fails that is a no-shitter for us (especially if it was caused by the fuel being too hot and overheating the FADEC). It basically drives us to a flameout profile since if the second FADEC fails the engine will flameout with no manual backup available.

For all the downsides of a single engine the PW135 has been pretty beastly so far. We’ve had a couple instances of the engine ingesting broken refueling probe tips and it kept chugging along, it’s a big confidence booster.

Fuzzy on the details, but I heard of someone ingesting something into the F404 on some flavor of F-18. The engine kept chugging and performing within spec. Only after borescoping the motor did they realize it was damaged beyond repair. Impressive capabilities these engines. Also evident why other countries have struggled producing jet engines in the past.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
No No No No. I keep thinking about my own aircrew days with my pilots making an IFR approach in zero vis weather while fighting vertigo, How is this a good idea?

croakerfish

pilot
No No No No. I keep thinking about my own aircrew days with my pilots making an IFR approach in zero vis weather while fighting vertigo, How is this a good idea?
Well if you think you are going to lose more planes to Chinese IADS than CFIT, the math might work out.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Mins would probably be single pilot.

We need to ask why TACAIR can fly IFR approaches SP, and so can commercial helicopters.

What is the magical size that makes something impossible to fly by yourself?

In the old days, you needed two people to physically operate the systems. If that’s not a problem anymore, what is the limiting factor?

Serious question. Is it MGW, a certain number of passengers, what?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The obvious solution is to put a NFO in the right seat to grab the gear, talk on the radio, scream "we are going to die" when relavent and provide that second set of eyes for two pilot approach mins. ??