• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

jackjack

A quick question, if I could. What is the operational name of the F-35C on the boat? Also, what is the USMC calling the F-35B.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a pretty simplistic and needlessly confrontational summation of what's actually a very nuanced and well-researched article. I didn't read anything there that said the Marine Corps "wasn't playing nice." In fact, the article specifically says racial hostility and tensions are not the issue, but communication recruiting, and perhaps a bit of empathy are.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's a pretty simplistic and needlessly confrontational summation of what's actually a very nuanced and well-researched article. I didn't read anything there that said the Marine Corps "wasn't playing nice." In fact, the article specifically says racial hostility and tensions are not the issue, but communication recruiting, and perhaps a bit of empathy are.
Lighten up bro, just a joking intro - although the numbers across the services are pretty bad.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Lighten up bro, just a joking intro - although the numbers across the services are pretty bad.
Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about this issue. The services have seeked and boosted their efforts to recruit "diverse" recruits and officers for decades. There are no barriers to entry.

I've flown and trained with great/average/shitty (white, black, Hispanic, Jewish, male, female) pilots. But hey, I was just a helo guy in the Marines.

How many Filipino-American fighter pilots are there? Does there need to be a representative cohort of every type in every platform? I would argue, no. Just my opinion.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about this issue. The services have seeked and boosted their efforts to recruit "diverse" recruits and officers for decades. There are no barriers to entry.

I've flown and trained with great/average/shitty (white, black, Hispanic, Jewish, male, female) pilots. But hey, I was just a helo guy in the Marines.

How many Filipino-American fighter pilots are there? Does there need to be a representative cohort of every type in every platform? I would argue, no. Just my opinion.
And I agree. I fully embrace that the services are doing what they can but the metrics (when placed against other news stories) just look bad.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

IMO, diversity is best achieved when every opportunity exists for any person from any walk of life who meets the standards to participate in an organization. The doors are open, and naturally letting the diversity happen, vs. mandating it with some sort of force seems to be the best way of handling it. That’s not to say that seeking out certain groups in recruiting is a bad strategy.

There is an understandable counterpoint of resource and opportunities that allow someone to reach the state that allows them to meet said standards, and I believe that our country should focus its diversity efforts on those resources, therefore allowing people to rise to whatever standard may be required of them, instead of focusing on surface level qualities in an individual as a large reason for selection.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The doors are open, and naturally letting the diversity happen, vs. mandating it with some sort of force seems to be the best way of handling it. That’s not to say that seeking out certain groups in recruiting is a bad strategy.

I'm in total agreement with you.

The one anecdote I have is from administratively running an O-5 command selection board (a fucking nightmare ?), is that at the end after the slate was voted on (bc there was a diversity precept to the 0-6's and GO's on the board), the 2 star head of the board was beaming (while briefing his superior) that he had met the diversity goal. When, instead, it should have been a celebration of the Marine Corp's ability to attract, recruit, and retain quality officers from all walks of life.

Not saying that there's no need for more outreach efforts, but I think the WaPo article is a little slanted.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I'm in total agreement with you.

The one anecdote I have is from administratively running an O-5 command selection board (a fucking nightmare ?), is that at the end after the slate was voted on (bc there was a diversity precept to the 0-6's and GO's on the board), the 2 star head of the board was beaming (while briefing his superior) that he had met the diversity goal. When, instead, it should have been a celebration of the Marine Corp's ability to attract, recruit, and retain quality officers from all walks of life.

Not saying that there's no need for more outreach efforts, but I think the WaPo article is a little slanted.

I do truly believe that people who champion diversity quotas are doing so from am empathetic and good-natured place, I just think that objectively speaking, when a diversity quota becomes a top priority in selection for anything, it sends a troubling message of “Individuals who are selected are not exclusively picked based on merit.” Something that is very problematic in a meritocratic organization and society.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just think that objectively speaking, when a diversity quota becomes a top priority in selection for anything, it sends a troubling message of “Individuals who are selected are not exclusively picked based on merit.”
While that may be some people’s perception, we don’t have selection quotas (that would be against policy and the law), we have goals, which is different.

Given that this country still has some fairly wide disparities in areas like education, healthcare, earning power and upward mobility for certain key demographics, I think it’s a bit premature to declare that the playing field is completely level.

Strongly recommend the book Caste by Isabel Wilkerson. It changed my approach to leading a diverse workforce.