• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
Short answer is yes. The F-15E's primary mission set is A-G. Compared to the E, the EX is redesigned to incorporate fly-by-wire, which frees up additional weapons stations that were previously blocked by hydraulic lines. Additional upgrades include improved engines, APG-82 (a larger version of the APG-81), and a F-35esk cockpit.

It’s actually a larger -79 but whatever.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It’s actually a larger -79 but whatever.

I haven’t seen the inside, but i would also wonder if it is more “super hornet esque” than F-35. Since it is a Boeing. And the Super Hornet displays are pretty great at this point, and probably what many would conclude to be F-35 or F-22 esque. I remember we took the F-15 dudes back into the vault to look at our tapes after a missile shoot a few years back, and they were astounded at what they saw with our new (at the time) software build.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven’t seen the inside, but i would also wonder if it is more “super hornet esque” than F-35. Since it is a Boeing. And the Super Hornet displays are pretty great at this point, and probably what many would conclude to be F-35 or F-22 esque. I remember we took the F-15 dudes back into the vault to look at our tapes after a missile shoot a few years back, and they were astounded at what they saw with our new (at the time) software build.
It still makes me chuckle as a software guy that when the VFA community was going ga-ga about the new High Order Language that would do all this cool stuff, and I looked into it on Google. Apparently it just meant they stopped coding the damn stuff in assembly and switched to C. Woo! Partying like it's 1979 here . . .

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
15EX has the same displays as a Block 3 Rhino. Large Area Display (LAD) and Low Profile HUD (LPHUD).
rc4aas3q0yr61.png

Random8145

Your tapes...?:)

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Your tapes...?:)
Yes. As recently as 2011, I was personally lugging ancient 8mm tape players with integrated playback synch controls (1 tape per aircraft display) and honest-to-God CRT TV screens on and off the boat. Big, heavy, ungainly things we called “Star Wars Machines”. Goddamn I hated those.

HOL jets use solid state recording devices that can be played back on a mission planning laptop. Much better. But (unless this has changed in the last 3 years) we still say “stop tape” and “play tape” when bringing up points during a debrief.

Makes the USAF’s heads explode during joint exercises.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes. As recently as 2011, I was personally lugging ancient 8mm tape players with integrated playback synch controls (1 tape per aircraft display) and honest-to-God CRT TV screens on and off the boat. Big, heavy, ungainly things we called “Star Wars Machines”. Goddamn I hated those.

HOL jets use solid state recording devices that can be played back on a mission planning laptop. Much better. But (unless this has changed in the last 3 years) we still say “stop tape” and “play tape” when bringing up points during a debrief.

Don't forget to tell him that in the workingman's Hornet the tapes didn't record the actual display, but instead there were cameras pointed at the displays that the tapes recorded.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
I believe -122 still has a handful of tapes jets left.

No idea when the last time they actually watched any of those tapes, but they still have the studs check them out and bring them to the jet.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Craniums! The correct word is CRANIUMS!

"Keep your head on a swivel on the flight line. Turn your tapes on before the fights' on. Don't pick a heading into the red box on your moving map. And make sure you preflight the headbox of your ejection seat, we've had some inter-service issues with those lately."
-Actual safety brief, given during an LFE at Nellis, 2012. Followed by laughter from both services.

I still have no idea why the USAF is so enamored with replacing words with other words.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Keep your head on a swivel on the flight line. Turn your tapes on before the fights' on. Don't pick a heading into the red box on your moving map. And make sure you preflight the headbox of your ejection seat, we've had some inter-service issues with those lately."
-Actual safety brief, given during an LFE at Nellis, 2012. Followed by laughter from both services.

I still have no idea why the USAF is so enamored with replacing words with other words.

It has been explained several times to me that it is a deliberate overreaction to PC-isms, but in typical zoomie fashion they take it way too overboard.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot

You didn't say the litany right. Pk miss.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
What is the truth behind the canted pylons? Is it for aircraft stability or to allow carrying a configuration the jet will never carry? The difference between midboards/outboards only and having all pylons on the jet is mind blowing >30k
1696443111372.png

After decades of obtaining mastery in my field of expertise, Wikipedia research, I can confidently say that the unbiased and unequivocal answer is... yes