• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shoulder soreness

NavySeabee26

I'm currently in week three of the Armstrong pull up program, and have seen some pretty decent results as before I started the program I could do 15 pull ups and 18 underhands (chin ups) Because of the program I am now up to 17 overhands and 21 underhands, but am starting to feel pain at the top of my shoulder. I complete most of my workouts using the overhand method, so I'm wondering if I should alternate grips every other day. I'm just curious to see if anyone has felt a similar soreness when participating in the Armstrong program.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Take 2 or 3 days off. The pain will probably go away(unless its a no shit real injury), and it will not be detrimental to your pullup count. In fact, there's a good chance a rest will help you heal altogether. Not only will you not be in pain, you'll be able to get a new max your first time on the bar. When you get to OCS they'll tell you not to be surprised if you do worse on your final pft than on your initial. It's the same thing.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I'm currently in week three of the Armstrong pull up program, and have seen some pretty decent results as before I started the program I could do 15 pull ups and 18 underhands (chin ups) Because of the program I am now up to 17 overhands and 21 underhands, but am starting to feel pain at the top of my shoulder. I complete most of my workouts using the overhand method, so I'm wondering if I should alternate grips every other day. I'm just curious to see if anyone has felt a similar soreness when participating in the Armstrong program.

I had to have my shoulder put back together after I tore my rotator cuff which effectively ended any chances I had at pro ball.

Shoulders are something you don't want to mess around with

NavySeabee26

Do you have a choice of testing with over-hand or under-hand pull-ups when doing your pft?

I have been wondering this myself, as I am much better doing it underhand, but chin ups in general are easier than overhand pull ups. I want to work my way up to be able to do 20 with either grip. Right now I can only do 17 overhand, while underhand I can do 21, 22 on a good day.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I have been wondering this myself, as I am much better doing it underhand, but chin ups in general are easier than overhand pull ups. I want to work my way up to be able to do 20 with either grip. Right now I can only do 17 overhand, while underhand I can do 21, 22 on a good day.

What program are you working for? If you're on the Marine side of the house you can use either grip, for sure, no question about it. You can even switch grips in the middle of the test, as long as you don't get off the bar or do some silly trash like use a different grip with each hand.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
Do you have a choice of testing with over-hand or under-hand pull-ups when doing your pft?

According to MCO P6100.12 w/chg 1, paragraph 2101 - (4) The bar must be grasped with both palms facing either forward or to the rear. As long as you come to a dead hang, which ever way works to your advantage.

NavySeabee26

What program are you working for? If you're on the Marine side of the house you can use either grip, for sure, no question about it. You can even switch grips in the middle of the test, as long as you don't get off the bar or do some silly trash like use a different grip with each hand.

Im going out for Marine OCS