• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I go NFO?

KBayDog

Thanks devils!

200px-New_Jersey_Devils_logo.svg.png

Continue.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Another reason I always point to the AVPLAN is because lots of people want to take it as gospel. We're supposed to be replaced by JSF and UAS eventually. JSF is already behind timeline and UAS EW testing is just getting started. So when people start waving the AVPLAN around saying, "NFOs will be gone by 2019!" I generally just ignore it. Sure it's possible but I still haven't bought into it.

The AVPLAN isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's been reviewed, chopped, debated, and approved after a great deal of hard work and intellectual development has been put into it. As much as I make fun of HQMC, it's not like they just sit around making shit up for no reason and with no guidance.

What always drives me nuts is when some yahoo who's WAY out of the loop starts talking out of his ass about what he SWEARS is the gospel truth about the future of aviation, despite it not being grounded in any verifiable source.

I don't count "the third shitter from the left" as a verifiable source.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
The AVPLAN isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's been reviewed, chopped, debated, and approved after a great deal of hard work and intellectual development has been put into it. As much as I make fun of HQMC, it's not like they just sit around making shit up for no reason and with no guidance.

What always drives me nuts is when some yahoo who's WAY out of the loop starts talking out of his ass about what he SWEARS is the gospel truth about the future of aviation, despite it not being grounded in any verifiable source.

I don't count "the third shitter from the left" as a verifiable source.

Speaking of which...has FY12 come out yet? Searched a couple times. No joy.

81montedriver

pilot
As was previously mentioned, the only NFO's in KC-130's are part of Harvest Hawk as Fire Control Officers who operate the sensor. We have trained crews on the west coast and east coast. However it's not an NFO only position. To my knowledge there is only one NFO in the entire program. The rest come from Cobras, Harriers, Hornets and within Hercs.

Being a Marine is great, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But if I were you, I would definitely consider the Navy just because NFO's are not going away in the Navy any time soon.

ryan1234

Copy, one thing that's easier about the air force. I think I read on here 2 or 3 spots a year?

The AF's rule at the moment is 2 years from when you wing as a CSO to go to UPT....it has been done earlier in many airframes and ops squadrons. With the potential airline hiring floodgates about to open, it may be very easy in the near future. Lots of spots in recent years....sometimes not too many...just depends.