• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I go NFO?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Well I feel retarded not knowing that Hornets had NFOs... I think I may just reevaluate things now! And no Lasik, PRK nothing can fix my eyes. Trust me, Ive been to every Dr I could find, even tried enrolling in experimental trials for my condition. This is a dumb question, but do WSO's and NFOs get flight training, because obviously theyd have to copilot if something catastrophic happened, right?

And ea6bflyer, no. Hell no. Hell to the no haha. Im a leatherneck through and through.

In a Hornet "missionized cockpit" (the only non-missionized cockpits are in the RAG) the NFO does not have the ability to fly the aircraft, such as would be required to land it for instance.

BoaViking

Red patch, death patch
Well thanks pourts. I scored 7's on my ASTB so Im definetely no dummy. And I learned a thing or two about respect at PI. Id rather be a grunt officer in the Corps than a fully pinned pilot in the Navy any day. But I think this may actually be the way to go other than just getting a ground contract.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well thanks pourts. I scored 7's on my ASTB so Im definetely no dummy. And I learned a thing or two about respect at PI. Id rather be a grunt officer in the Corps than a fully pinned pilot in the Navy any day. But I think this may actually be the way to go other than just getting a ground contract.

What about a winged Marine guy in a Navy airwing on a Navy boat on a Navy deployment, hanging out with a bunch of Navy guys and doing Navy things? (ok not so much for Marine NFO's but anyway) Or maybe going through flight school with Navy guys? Or going to a Navy RAG with Navy instructors? Or being a Marine in Pensacola, a Navy base, with a bunch of Navy guys?

Point being that the lines are a bit blurred at many times in aviation. Like I eluded to, I went through the Marine Hornet RAG, had tons of Marine IP's in flight school, had Marine friends, and hell, pourts was even in my winging class in Meridian. You aren't gonna get away from the Navy anytime soon, especially if you go jets/NFO. But it just doesn't really matter at the end of the day........you may even find yourself *gasp* flying with the AF from an AFB.....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If he said he just wants to fly, he would get lectured about how he should want to be "an officer first". Instead he wants to be a Marine officer, and he's getting crap for not choosing the best flying opportunity.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he said he just wants to fly, he would get lectured about how he should want to be "an officer first". Instead he wants to be a Marine officer, and he's getting crap for not choosing the best flying opportunity.
Relax! We are only having fun.

lighten-up-francis-o.gif

KBayDog

That's not what I'm reading:

BoaViking said:
Been trying to go for aviation for a couple years, took ASTB got good scores, but got medically DQed, nothing I can do about it (PRK not an option)...I want to be in a cockpit bad enough that I could go NFO (Im not insulting any NFO's here, it just wasnt my first choice).

I know it sounds like I would be doing it as a last ditch effort, but if it gets me in the cockpit, I want it. I cant remember not ever wanting to be a pilot.

I love working under a CH-53 while its hovering 5 ft above my head haha I have no intentions to ever go for Log officer though.

Id rather be a grunt officer in the Corps than a fully pinned pilot in the Navy any day. But I think this may actually be the way to go other than just getting a ground contract.

Ralph

I know he said that he can't fix his eyes but how difficult is it to do one tour as a nfo then go to the front seat?

Ralph

Copy, one thing that's easier about the air force. I think I read on here 2 or 3 spots a year?

BoaViking

Red patch, death patch
Well this is all better news than I previously had, I think I may actually go for it now. Thanks devils!