• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore based aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Stacy:

What it boils down to is HOW you will spend time away from your significant other. Even if you go Navy 53's or H-3's, you'll still deploy, it just won't be on a ship (most likely). Even the H-3's out of Norfolk go to the gulf for a deployment, the difference is it's not on a big gray thing.

Meridiani

gatordev -

Are those deployments unaccompanied, for 6 months at a time, as they are for ships? Anyway, that's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. Deployments are where you go out and do the job, as opposed to Duty Stations, which is where the Navy pays for your family to be (hopefully w/ you). I don't know a whole lot about the 53's, but I know one of the IP's I flew w/ a bunch in the HT's was a H-3 guy, and he said he went to the gulf both times for 6 months. Anyone have more accurate info?

Goliath112

on thing to point out here Meridiana is that there is a very high "risk" that you'll be at sea or deployed for extended periods. even the 6 month deployments carry smaller "dets" between them. as a pilot of a P 3 you may be gone for a few weeks here and there in between long deployments. I am married and my wife and I were both in the Navy. I got out and she went on 6 month deployments. It is a hard thing to do. Its not impossible but, its real hard to handle. Is your husband the macho type? anyway these situations i'm describing are sea duty and after you do your sea time (the length of which depends on your job) you will get orders to a shore station. I would expect to deploy at least once on your first duty station.

man the wait is killing me

Meridiani

OK, so it sounds like whichever platform I fly, I'll be spending plenty of time away from home. Thanks to everyone for clarifying that for me...I catch on eventually.

She CAN be taught!
icon_smile_wink.gif

Dave Shutter

Sorry Goliath...I put your name in my reply but was actually replying to a few different posts on the topic, no flame intended.

As for Navy 53 deployments, one of my instructors is a 53 guy and the deal from him is is 6 months deployed to Sigonella where you fly out for variety of missions in the Med. I don't know anything about "accompanied" or not, but I don't see why you couldn't get a visit from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.