• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shore based aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

Hello all,

Please forgive my heretical (and temporary) ignorance of Navy aircraft, but which ones are shore-based? I know the P-3, and the EP-3A (um, is that designation correct? [:I] ). Any others? Are there any helos that are shore-based? I've been surfing the net and checking the library to find this info out, but I seem to encounter a lot of material that's out of date.

Thanks!

Dave Shutter

You can check out the Navy fact file on Navy.mil for a run down of the different aircraft. To answer your question real quick, MH-53's usually deploy to over seas bases and "visit" carriers and other ships.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
You are right about the P-3 and EP-3. They cannot land on a carrier, but they do deploy, usually for about 3 months at a time, to an overseas base. E-6 is also shore based (looks like a 747). There are Prowler squadrons that are shore based, but you will most likely get a carrier based one then on your next tour.
Who cares what is shore based though! YOU ARE IN THE NAVY! Navy meaning ships. It is what we do. You should want to go out to sea. Otherwise you should have joined the Air Force!

Valion310

NOTICE ON THIS POST:
Not trying to offend anyone, or get flamed. Just making a generla observation. Okay, you may now continue on with this post...
NOTICE ON THIS POST:

Ya know, I find a lot of people ask a lot of very specific questions about US military aircraft and stuff. Its amazing that OPSEC seems to go out the window sometimes, or maybe it doesn't. I'm just posting this in this thread cause this is one of ones I've seen that "kinda" hits into that topic of specific questions. So don't flame me on specific symantics, this is just a more general comment about what I've noticed here on AW. I can say, working in and Intel based community, I could pick up a lot of info from people's posts here that if I was hypothetically anti-American could serve my cause well.

Active duty and Vet's should know better - if you don't know an answer, maybe go pick up a Janes Aviation book and look it up.

Okay, since I know its coming, let the exicutions of Valion310 begin -

Valion310's food for thought ....

ghost_ttu

I don't see anything wrong with letting people know the roll of different aircraft, I'm pretty sure that is something that can be found documented. I think the more touchy areas are when the capabilities of an aircraft are talked about, that which are probably not documented. But giving experiences, opinions of aircraft, and information that could be looked up I feel is valuable and inspiring to others.

Meridiani

Dave, I did check the Navy fact file, but after reading through the descriptions, I was still left with questions. For instance, according to the fact file on MH-53s, it "can operate from carriers and other warships." Nothing (that I can find) is said about it deploying from a shore base. And Valion, I hate to say it, but I think working in Intel has made you paranoid.
icon_smile_wink.gif
Check out the descriptions listed in the Navy fact file, and you'll find a lot more specifics about aircraft than are ever mentioned around here.

Glenn, while I really do appreciate you telling me what I should want to do in the Navy, sometimes in life a person has other considerations beyond those of personal preference. And right now, I'm simply trying to get some information.

Goliath112

never heard of a squadron that "can" go to sea, but doesn't. The 53 can go to sea and it does. There are a couple of Marine 53 squadrons here at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii and they all deploy to amphib carriers. The P-3's can't go to sea and don't but, if they could they would. I'm not sure why you want to know about specifically non sea going squadrons but its understandable for a person to want to know just how much they might be at sea. as a seaman or seaman rate job you go to sea alot but, long 6 month deployments are usually at regular assigned intervals, typically once every 18-24 months. As for naval aviators or squadron members, you should to direct your question to guys in the squadrons.

p.s. the P-3's or VP sqaudrons go on regular 6 months deployments like everybody else.

man the wait is killing me

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just FYI, the 53's here at K-Bay only just started deploying. I guess they go on amphibs, but that is all relatively new. A rude awakening for one of my buddies who came here from flight school not expecting to deploy.

Jack

Originally posted by Valion310
I can say, working in and Intel based community, I could pick up a lot of info from people's posts here that if I was hypothetically anti-American could serve my cause well.

What kind of "Intel" community are you coming from? I have seen nothing ( with the exception of a few erroneously posted Det dates ) that has even come close to a security violation. Again, I'm not sure what community you're coming from, but I can tell you that those of with access to classified information take it seriously because A) it was a pain in the ass to fill out all the SF-86 paperwork to get the clearance ball moving and B) a security violation is a career ender.

You're right to say that some things in Jane's the US govt considers a secret. That might seem like a contradiction, however its not the fact that the info is out there, but whether or not a US service person has the ability to confirm it. That brings in the issues of methods and techniques. You see how it quickly gets messy.

Dave Shutter

Goliath, yes the Marine 53' does deploy on AMPHIBS but the question was asked in relation to Navy aircraft. As for her interest in shore based aircraft I think it's an honest question. No one slams on the guy who shows up for primary dead set on P-3's and yells: "You just want the per-diem you pu$$y!" What's wrong with being interested in a shore based helo? It's what she's interested in. Just because you join the Army doesn't mean you want to sleep in foxholes; or stay in 4 star hotels if you join the AF.

...I had to throw that in there.[:p]

But seriously...can't we all just get along?

Valion310

53's are awesome to watch coming in on the deck. "ON THE FLIGHT DECK, CLOSE THE CANOPY'S ... HURRICAN'S ARE INBOUND! ... YOU, THERE, IN THE GREEN ON THE SIX PACK ... YA YOU ... YESSSS, YOU THERE POINTING AT YOUR OWN HEAD ON AIRCRAFT 102 ... PUT AWAY THE PLAYBOY AND GET MY CANOPY CLOSED!" (laugh)

Yes, I know people take that stuff seriously, hopefully people didn't think I was questioning anyone specific or anything, just making an observation of sorts. Perhaps this wasn't the best thread to have a post like that pop up in my head ... my appoligies.

(Mission Impossible tune begins to play ...)
Valion310 looking around every corner with buggy paranoid eyes and his pistola pointing around ... [^]

Goliath112

Originally posted by Dave Shutter
Goliath, yes the Marine 53' does deploy on AMPHIBS but the question was asked in relation to Navy aircraft. As for her interest in shore based aircraft I think it's an honest question. No one slams on the guy who shows up for primary dead set on P-3's and yells: "You just want the per-diem you pu$$y!" What's wrong with being interested in a shore based helo? It's what she's interested in. Just because you join the Army doesn't mean you want to sleep in foxholes; or stay in 4 star hotels if you join the AF.

...I had to throw that in there.[:p]

But seriously...can't we all just get along?

hey man I thought I "was" being understanding and not flamin' in my post. I guess my post was misundertood.

man the wait is killing me

Meridiani

Originally posted by Dave Shutter
Just because you join the Army doesn't mean you want to sleep in foxholes; or stay in 4 star hotels if you join the AF.

LOL, I'm all about the 4 star hotels. [:D] I actually have no problem with going to sea. I was a little testy earlier,[V] because I dislike the insinuation that I should join the Air Farce if I even make the slightest suggestion that I would like to have shore duty. I want to fly Navy, that's my goal. If I'm lucky enough to be granted an SNA slot, I'll take whatever aircraft I'm offered! My preference is helos, but I'm a married woman, and I know that long deployments at sea are hard on a marriage. Sure there are lots of people that make it work, but if it was possible to fly helos and work from a shore base and see my hubby at the end of the day, I'd be in heaven.
icon_smile_wink.gif
But in the end, my husband and I are prepared to make some sacrifices so that I can pursue my dream.

ghost_ttu

Stacy, if you do get in I hope we get in the same time and graduate the same week. I'd be completly tickled to give you my helo spot if you happen to accidently get my jet spot
icon_smile_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.