• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shin Splints

Srtitan89

I move out for rotc indoc on August 7th and I'm pretty sure I have stress fractures so I'm gonna take 4-5 weeks to make sure I don't hurt myself right before school starts.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I move out for rotc indoc on August 7th and I'm pretty sure I have stress fractures so I'm gonna take 4-5 weeks to make sure I don't hurt myself right before school starts.

I'd see a physician first. As BigIron said, it is hard to self-diagnose them. I'd hate to see you miss out on valuable training over shin splints that may just need aspirin, good shoes, stretches, ice, and a little rest vs. 4-5 weeks of non-training.

Srtitan89

Tried that. Over the 2 weeks I took off, I did light leg weight exercises, stretched frequently, got new shoes, and iced almost every day. For the first few days I started running again it was all fine but then I started getting pain again. I'm more flexible and stronger than ever so I'm almost positive that it is a fracture. Also, from what I've read, the only sure way to see if you have a fracture is to get an MRI - and I don't really want to do that.

I'm following the rule of thumb - if it hurts, don't do it. - and I'm not

BackOrdered

Contributor
Tried that. Over the 2 weeks I took off, I did light leg weight exercises, stretched frequently, got new shoes, and iced almost every day. For the first few days I started running again it was all fine but then I started getting pain again. I'm more flexible and stronger than ever so I'm almost positive that it is a fracture. Also, from what I've read, the only sure way to see if you have a fracture is to get an MRI - and I don't really want to do that.

I'm following the rule of thumb - if it hurts, don't do it. - and I'm not

How long have you been running and also, are you wearing the correct running shoes? Are they cushion, stability, or motion controlled shoes?

BackOrdered

Contributor
they're relatively new Asics 2120s with good running insoles

But what kind of shoe is it? Cushion, Stability, or Motion control? I ask because you have to wear the proper type of shoe to match your foot type. Otherwise, you will develop shin splints or worst.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I honestly have no idea - I have regular feet and I thought this was a regular shoe.

Looks like I have uncovered a possible cause of your leg problems. You really do want to find out about which shoe type is right for you. This site explains each shoe type. I use to get vicious shin splints before I found out I needed Motion Controlled running shoes. The most stable shoe is for Flat footers while the least stable are for High arch runners. I hope this helps.

http://www.runningunlimited.com/runningShoesExplained/runningShoesExplained.asp