• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shin Splints

Srtitan89

How do you avoid them?

I only run every other day and I have asics 2120s with good running insoles.

I jog a few minutes for warm up then spend about 10 minutes stretching my legs and abdomen.

Last time I got them I took 2 weeks off from running but then again today I started getting the pain again in my shins - was that a long enough time to wait?

Trev82

pilot
ya, you may wanna do a search, but since the thread hasn't closed yet..are your shoes old? b/c i had never gotten shin splints before and i was running in old running shoes that i purchased at your mall shoe store and i was gettin them bad...i stopped wearing them and went to san diego running institute where they measured my feet and did some tests and matched me up with some nice sauconys i haven't had em since...start w/ the shoes

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
There can be several causes for shin splints.

Only when possible causes are identified can shin splints be eliminated.

Possible causes include:

· Tight Achilles and calf muscles. (stretch before workout)
· An inexperienced runner just beginning to run.
· Running on uneven terrain. (big reason)
· A sudden increase in faster running. (ie speed work)
· A sudden change from soft to hard running surfaces.
· Running in worn down shoes.
· Excessive uphill running.
· Poor running mechanics which include excessive forward lean, excessive weight on the ball of the foot,
running with toes pointed outward, landing too far back on the heels causing the foot to flap down.

There is a drill called silent running. Attempt to run as quietly as possible. With the feet landing properly, very little noise should be heard. They're easy to treat and avoid...and are most often a problem only with beginner runners or runners who resume training after taking a long period of time off. Keep at it and just make sure to stretch and follow what not to do above, you should be fine.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
. . .There is a drill called silent running. Attempt to run as quietly as possible. With the feet landing properly, very little noise should be heard. . . .
This was big for me. Foot slapping is indicative of your foot impacting incorrectly. Your foot should roll "heel to toe", done correctly impact is minimized. $.02

pat

I'm a heavy guy, and get them easily. My fix is to run ONLY on my toes. When I stride forward, I pretend to kick a soccer ball, keeping my toes down, and land on the toes/ball of my foot. Your calves will be sore like you have never known before, but they toughen up. It's the only way I run now.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I use to take a resistance band and stretch the shin muscle 100 times on each leg before running. It is not as tiring as it sounds.

mts4602

We have Fleet Feet here in Louisville. I got my first real pair of running shoes there about a year ago. They were great and now I have some good shoes that actually fit.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I third that. I got my shoes from Fleet Feet near Nashville. It's a great chain if you have a franchise near you.