• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Alcohol is a contributing factor to all of these incidents, so take that away

Impossible. You could turn it into a prison and people would still make toilet wine, smuggling orange peels in from the chow hall.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Been a while since posted, but feel compelled....
There is NO CURFEW for service members stationed on Guam. No rules regarding time out of bars...just a few "black listed" places.

Re-read my second post. The curfew is for units on det to Guam. The "must be out of bars by midnight" was word of mouth from service members at Andersen. Not sure if that is for their whole base, specific units, or just straight up bad gouge.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Apparently there has been another incident. With the direction this is heading, there will be CONUS curfews.

KBayDog

I actually do believe that "group punishment" can be effective in that it encourages self-policing and internal retribution, but I think that the benefits are lost if its used above the squadron/battalion level or is used too often.

Disagree.

Punishing the masses is best left at entry-level training. Outside of that type of environment, it only serves to limit personal accountability and diminish morale. We claim to be a professional organization - in fact, to promote our professionalism, we have formations on the first of every month where we high five each other about "Special Trust and Confidence." Professional organizations whose members supposedly have "Special Trust and Confidence" do not need to punish the 99% who "get it" for the transgressions of a few.

Crush those who punt it into the stands, but leave the rest of us alone.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
In my opinion, group punishment may be an effective tool when you are doing team building (boot camp, OCS, etc) when you are trying to instill the how unit success or failure may ride on the actions ( or inactions) of an individuall, but once you get into the fleet, punishing the masses for the stupidity of a single or few is counter productive to good morale.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Disagree.

Punishing the masses is best left at entry-level training. Outside of that type of environment, it only serves to limit personal accountability and diminish morale. We claim to be a professional organization - in fact, to promote our professionalism, we have formations on the first of every month where we high five each other about "Special Trust and Confidence." Professional organizations whose members supposedly have "Special Trust and Confidence" do not need to punish the 99% who "get it" for the transgressions of a few.

Crush those who punt it into the stands, but leave the rest of us alone.

Well put, and I agree.

I guess what I was trying to say was that it's ok to make a point if used very sparingly and in an environment where everybody knows the person that caused the group pain, like in entry level training. I remember it working well my freshman year in that regard.

If a commander thinks that group punishment in and of itself has value besides just making a point, particularly across a unit or region comprised of tens of thousands of people who couldn't possibly know each other, then he's kidding himself.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
I have to disagree to your point on this one. Japan is a safe and peaceful place. These incidents are blown up because it is stupid Americans getting drunk and doing stupid shit. Just because these types of things are OK in the States, doesn't mean we should expect the Japanese to accept them. Here's a novel idea: Since alcohol is a factor in every one of these incidents, then make Japan dry outside of base.

Japan is not some mythical place where crime doesn't exist. There are several thousand reported rapes a year in Japan that are never reported in the papers. Accounting for the US military's portion of the Japanese population, the crime rate tiny fraction of what it should be. There were a few articles in one of the Tokyo papers recently with the exact stats.

There a significant portion of Okinawa that does not want the US there at all. The rape occurred shortly after very large protests against stationing the Osprey at Futenma. These events are being used for partisan reasons within Japan.

Additionally, alcohol was not a factor in the rape. It was a premeditated crime committed by criminals who were TDY to Japan and thought they could get away with it.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
No one said there is no crime in Japan. However, if you look at the statistics, Japan is a much safer place than the States are. Do you wish to argue that fact?

I don't think we need a knee jerk reaction, but since we are in the middle of one, my vote is that we take out the primary causal factor to most incidents. Don't tell me I can't be out in town past 2300. Tell the stupid TAD E-3 that he can't drink out in town past 2300. Unless you are a JAG, I'm not sure you know all of the factors in the rape. And if you are a JAG, I'm sure you aren't supposed to be talking about them in the first place. But my guess is that isn't the case.

No one is arguing the fact that the Okinawan's don't want us there. It is and has been a very sensitive area for years. The main reason why there is a 7th fleet curfew now. This doesn't just affect those in Okinawa. It's everyone in Japan paying the price for the sins of those that can't handle the island without getting bombed out of their minds.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Don't tell me I can't be out in town past 2300. Tell the stupid TAD E-3 that he can't drink out in town past 2300.

How, exactly, do you plan to enforce that?

Remember, the TAD E-3 already ignored the rules about drunkenness, rape, etc. Why would he care about your arbitrary drinking curfew?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Impossible. You could turn it into a prison and people would still make toilet wine, smuggling orange peels in from the chow hall.

Yeah, those people are called alcoholics, and probably need to be directed to treatment, before they do something that requires punishment.

OscarMyers

None
Are these curfews and attitudes towards U.S. personnel limited to Okinawa or is it a Japan thing? I would like to do a tour out there some day, but I have always had an aversion because of the stories and hearsay of policies.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
How does one go from on their way to a shore tour to an IA? (which is what I assume you're obliquely referring to)