• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

BackOrdered

Contributor
How does one go from on their way to a shore tour to an IA? (which is what I assume you're obliquely referring to)

Such a thing accruing got me the hot fill which landed me where I am today. Basically, "we need to cough up an IA and you are the most junior guy."

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
that shit is *still* going on? Even after they shifted GSAs to the reserve side?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
that shit is *still* going on? Even after they shifted GSAs to the reserve side?

They shifted GSA's to the reserve side for capabilities that are in the reserves. For capabilities that are not in the reserves, the active duty folks will fill those billets

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They shifted GSA's to the reserve side for capabilities that are in the reserves. For capabilities that are not in the reserves, the active duty folks will fill those billets

I keed, I keed :rolleyes:

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
How, exactly, do you plan to enforce that?

Remember, the TAD E-3 already ignored the rules about drunkenness, rape, etc. Why would he care about your arbitrary drinking curfew?

This is my whole point. We are arbitrarily making up rules in the first place. The curfew that is in place now only really affects the people living on base, or those that are too stupid to just stay out until the curfew expires. The only way they are going to bust anyone is by catching them coming through the gate. That same TAD E-3 is just going to stay out all night and get really banged up. Maybe in Okinawa or Misawa they'll be able to catch service members out past curfew, but I don't think it's going to be very easy in Tokyo.
A drinking curfew doesn't affect everyone, but a no shit curfew does. The curfew goes to far in my opinion.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
In my opinion, group punishment may be an effective tool when you are doing team building (boot camp, OCS, etc) when you are trying to instill the how unit success or failure may ride on the actions ( or inactions) of an individuall, but once you get into the fleet, punishing the masses for the stupidity of a single or few is counter productive to good morale.
An LPO telling his division that if someone screws up something dumb professionally again, he's going to hold the entire division accountable can be effective at times. There's a high likelihood that the guys in the shop all work together on a regular basis and there can be a reasonable expectation that someone with a head on his shoulders can conduct training and make sure the guys who are screwing up "get it." This can result in self-policing at the E-5 and below level as long as it's not overused. The downside is it can lead to E-5 and below using what they think are leadership motivational tools and what the Navy thinks is hazing or abuse.

However, it doesn't work when you start using it on a larger unit scale or on liberty because there is no guarantee that the people you are punishing are going to work or hang out with the idiots. Typically the Sailors with common sense avoid hanging out with the idiots on liberty at all costs. Therefore, we can have no reasonable expectation that they'll be able to stop idiots from being idiots, nor that they'll be any more motivated to do so if their own liberty is at risk. We can't expect a married ET1 who spent Friday night having a family movie night and hitting the rack at 2200 to have prevented MMFN Schmuckatelli from getting smashed and playing grab-ass at 0200, and telling ET1 that he can't stay out past time X because of it is just infuriating nonsense.