• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
For those of y'all who have been to MEPS: About how long does the physical take? Is it an afternoon/morning thing, or does it take all day? I'm getting my physical scheduled and I'm trying to figure out whether I need to take a full day off of work or not.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
For those of y'all who have been to MEPS: About how long does the physical take? Is it an afternoon/morning thing, or does it take all day? I'm getting my physical scheduled and I'm trying to figure out whether I need to take a full day off of work or not.

Safe Bet: Take the whole day off. I was done by Noon, but I was lucky this time around. The first time I went to MEPS, I wasn't done until 3:30. So, the choice is yours.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
It really depends. I know thats the typical answer to a lot of questions here, but if you're medically sound (no major health issues) you could be out by noon, but if there are 40 or 50 people doing it with you that day, you could still get stuck until 3:30 or so, if you have medical issues you may have to wait for certain things to get cleared. I was completed by 11:30 (went in at 0500 and was with a group of 25 or so), went down and had my free turkey sandwich, coke and an apple, then had to wait 2 hours just to get finger printed. Side note, the finger printing was kinda cool, I had never been before and expected to be covered in ink, but it was all digital, haha technology eh?! Long story short, plan that day just for MEPS, if you get out early take it as a sign to relax, if you get stuck, welcome to the DoD.

kdenn

Anybody out there waiting to go to MEPS at Fort Hamilton in NY? I've been waiting about a month now due to "administrative issues," and I'm starting to get anxious.

headinclouds

Anybody out there waiting to go to MEPS at Fort Hamilton in NY? I've been waiting about a month now due to "administrative issues," and I'm starting to get anxious.

I've been through the MEPS at Fort Hamilton. Don't get anxious, you're not missing anything...

kdenn

I've been through the MEPS at Fort Hamilton. Don't get anxious, you're not missing anything...

Ha, no I'm not anxious about going, I'm anxious about not going. My OR's been trying to schedule a day to go for a month now, but he keeps telling me that "administrative issues" are holding us up. It wouldn't be a big deal but I was told that if don't get my FINSEL before November 1st, there's no chance of me leaving for OCS prior to July 2011. Not that that's the end of the world, but I was hoping to leave sooner, and to be held up for something silly like this would be unfortunate.

bluemarlin04

Ha, no I'm not anxious about going, I'm anxious about not going. My OR's been trying to schedule a day to go for a month now, but he keeps telling me that "administrative issues" are holding us up. It wouldn't be a big deal but I was told that if don't get my FINSEL before November 1st, there's no chance of me leaving for OCS prior to July 2011. Not that that's the end of the world, but I was hoping to leave sooner, and to be held up for something silly like this would be unfortunate.

What? I haven't heard anything about not being able to leave before July. That would mean a 10 month wait from pro rec. Do you already have your security clearance?

kdenn

What? I haven't heard anything about not being able to leave before July. That would mean a 10 month wait from pro rec. Do you already have your security clearance?

I did my security clearance back in May when I first started the application process. I'm not sure if it's completed, but it's definitely in the works. I asked my OR to clarify the whole "not getting to leave before July" thing, and he said something along the lines of the following: if you don't receive FINSEL documents prior to November 1st, you're not consider a gain to the command for this fiscal year, which would then mean you wouldn't get to leave untl July 2011.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
I did my security clearance back in May when I first started the application process. I'm not sure if it's completed, but it's definitely in the works. I asked my OR to clarify the whole "not getting to leave before July" thing, and he said something along the lines of the following: if you don't receive FINSEL documents prior to November 1st, you're not consider a gain to the command for this fiscal year, which would then mean you wouldn't get to leave untl July 2011.

Yikes, looks like all of the Sept pro-rec's won't be going anywhere for a while. Sucks too, I had MEPS done prior to submitting my app. Guess that didn't save me any time. However my recruiter is telling me OCS in February at the latest...Nothing is certain until you get that letter.

bluemarlin04

I would take that with a grain of salt. OCT 1st was the start of the fiscal year and July is the 4th quarter of this FY. Doesn't make any sense.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I would take that with a grain of salt. OCT 1st was the start of the fiscal year and July is the 4th quarter of this FY. Doesn't make any sense.

Agreed. Also. . .just got word that my medical was approved, and forwarded back to TN...now I'm just waiting on the final select documents! :-D

Lucy

If you start OCS after July 17th 2011, you would not finish until after Oct. 1st, which puts you in FY12 numbers. Quotas for FY are for those who finish in that year, not who start.