• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Fair point.
Don't get me wrong, I give him tons of credit for moving the needle on EVs and space stuff. Really important forward momentum on both counts (I don't understand what Boring has contributed, and Neuralink is creepy AF). I even drive a Tesla (although mine is super buggy and the build quality is underwhelming, so we're looking elsewhere for EV #2). That said the amount of power, real or perceived, he has accrued is not good for our country. And I think the sycophancy that surrounds him is also not good, and a recipe for failure. I also find it personally grating when someone who has suckled at the government's teet through contracts and subsidies then turns around and acts like some sort of libertarian latter day saint. Although that form of hypocrisy is pretty common in Silicon Valley.

EDIT I also used to really like Twitter, but he single handedly ruined it simply because he a.) didn't understand its real purpose and b.) clearly is the kind of tech nerd who shouldn't be in charge of anything with the word "social" in its name/industry.

Random8145

Creative geniuses can also outlive their usefulness. Even if you pin the success of Tesla and SpaceX solely on one man, his antics are rapidly decreasing his credibility and usefulness. Plus the amount of power that one very unstable man has accrued is never good.
Obviously SpaceX and Teslas are successful because of numerous individuals, but let's be real, if not for Musk, we'd still be having to rely on the Russians to launch our astronauts and EVs would most likely still be a joke. I agree about his antics and your point on power.

I do not find Neuralink creepy, that is valuable research that could change the lives of paralyzed and/or individuals missing limbs (say war veterans). Even if/when they figured out how to fix paralysis, if your limbs are missing, being able to control robotic prosthetic devices from your brain like you do your regular limbs would be a big help.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
At least there are no known paintings in his house of himself and Jesus. So, he's got that going for him.
…yet.

And what is our latest cultural fetish with mind-altering substances all about? If you ask me, it’s people looking for an excuse to get high. Like the marijuana crowd’s collective cries of “It’S NOt aDDiCTivE!”, despite admitting they get irritable and anxious without it.

Hogwash. I’ll give some credence to supervised medical use of certain things, if they are well researched and published in a peer reviewed manner. Everything else is just hippies trying to be hippies.

Last edited:

GroundPounder

…yet.

And what is our latest cultural fetish with mind-altering substances all about? If you ask me, it’s people looking for an excuse to get high. Like the marijuana crowd’s collective cries of “It’S NOt aDDiCTivE!”, despite admitting they get irritable and anxious without it.

Hogwash. I’ll give some credence to supervised medical use of certain things, if they are well researched and published in a peer reviewed manner. Everything else is just hippies tryn’abe hippies.
In Georgia, in the past few years, laws were passed that don't make marihuana legal but basically make it indistinguishable from agricultural hemp. As such, most jurisdictions do not prosecutor marijuana cases.

So now every other commercial is for CBD stores. It's an amazing substance that is simultaneously effective at: Weight loss and weight gain
alertness and a sleep aid. In addition, it may prevent cancer, cure diabetes, headaches, sexual disfunction as well as preventing cancer and Alzheimer's.

Just admit you want to get high and cut the BS. I personally think it's a bad idea generally, but if you're grown and want to indulge, have at it.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
So now every other commercial is for CBD stores. It's an amazing substance that is simultaneously effective at: Weight loss and weight gain
alertness and a sleep aid. In addition, it may prevent cancer, cure diabetes, headaches, sexual disfunction as well as preventing cancer and Alzheimer's.
Dammit, I was just gonna hit order for some Hempvana lotion, after seeing the infomercial. But your post caused me to rethink. 😆

It's veteran owned, and costs about $50 a bottle. I'm sure it's a good deal.🙄

Random8145

…yet.

Hogwash. I’ll give some credence to supervised medical use of certain things, if they are well researched and published in a peer reviewed manner. Everything else is just hippies trying to be hippies.
An argument I've seen the marijuana enthusiasts make is that it is no more addictive than alcohol and generally less dangerous. I have no idea how true that is, however alcohol ***is** a drug and a form of "getting high."

taxi1

pilot
An argument I've seen the marijuana enthusiasts make is that it is no more addictive than alcohol and generally less dangerous. I have no idea how true that is,
You can actually die from alcohol withdrawal. You can’t from marijuana.

I remember reading about how much more peaceful the Denver Broncos games were in the stands after pot was legalized.

Taking something (or doing something) to mess with your mental state is one of humanity’s oldest traits.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does Elon strike you as someone who would do drugs in a "responsible and controlled manner"?

For psychotropics, yes. Hell, even cocaine (if he uses) would be used in a limited fashion, I'm guessing. He's already well-known for being part of the 420 crowd, so this seems to be much ado about nothing.

number9

Contributor
For psychotropics, yes. Hell, even cocaine (if he uses) would be used in a limited fashion, I'm guessing. He's already well-known for being part of the 420 crowd, so this seems to be much ado about nothing.
Agree to disagree, I guess. He has shown (at least publicly; perhaps his private thoughts are more informed) a high schooler's knowledge of foreign affairs and he personally decided to turn off Starlink in Ukraine because he didn't want the Russian fleet attacked. I don't think his drug use can be construed by anyone as a good thing when he wields this kind of power?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You can actually die from alcohol withdrawal. You can’t from marijuana.

I remember reading about how much more peaceful the Denver Broncos games were in the stands after pot was legalized.

Taking something (or doing something) to mess with your mental state is one of humanity’s oldest traits.

Leaning into our worst traits, eh? I guess the new opiate of the masses is... opiates!

You do you, Colorado, et al. I'm sticking with my occasional wine and bourbon habit. It would be nice, however, to walk around a city without smelling weed every 50 feet.