• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Leaning into our worst traits, eh? I guess the new opiate of the masses is... opiates!

You do you, Colorado, et al. I'm sticking with my occasional wine and bourbon habit. It would be nice, however, to walk around a city without smelling weed every 50 feet.
I was just recently talking with one of our local city cops and he was sharing the astounding number of traffic stops he has had to make for people operating under the influence. With respect to weed. Apparently it's growing at epic rates.

exNavyOffRec

Leaning into our worst traits, eh? I guess the new opiate of the masses is... opiates!

You do you, Colorado, et al. I'm sticking with my occasional wine and bourbon habit. It would be nice, however, to walk around a city without smelling weed every 50 feet.
That smell permeates everything, there is a MJ processing facility 10 miles from me next to housing developments and the area about a half mile circumference or so from the facility smells like weed 24/7/365
I was just recently talking with one of our local city cops and he was sharing the astounding number of traffic stops he has had to make for people operating under the influence. With respect to weed. Apparently it's growing at epic rates.
Yep, my friends in LE have seen a start uptick in MJ DUI's, the number of those driving and smoking is concerning too (as is drinking and driving), the statistics do not properly reflect the true numbers as most that receive a MJ DUI citation are being plead out to negligent or reckless driving. One officer I talked to can't remember when one of his MJ DUI arrest actually was convicted of MJ DUI, many DUI's are also plead out too to be fair.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That smell permeates everything, there is a MJ processing facility 10 miles from me next to housing developments and the area about a half mile circumference or so from the facility smells like weed 24/7/365

Yep, my friends in LE have seen a start uptick in MJ DUI's, the number of those driving and smoking is concerning too (as is drinking and driving), the statistics do not properly reflect the true numbers as most that receive a MJ DUI citation are being plead out to negligent or reckless driving. One officer I talked to can't remember when one of his MJ DUI arrest actually was convicted of MJ DUI, many DUI's are also plead out too to be fair.
Let's be honest, though... the effects of alcohol and Cannabis on one's ability to drive are very different, and I don't think there's a quantitative method to assess the level of intoxication in the field or at the station.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Let's be honest, though... the effects of alcohol and Cannabis on one's ability to drive are very different, and I don't think there's a quantitative method to assess the level of intoxication in the field or at the station.
I believe you're correct. I remember this story about a Georgia cop who was known as the Drug Whisperer. He won all types of awards for the number of MJ DUI's he got. Once some local reporters started digging, they found numerous people, that were stone-cold sober driving home after finishing the second shift at work, who were arrested bc of his "training and suspicion". It was all subjective, and I believe a lot of his cases were eventually thrown out.

Random8145

I believe you're correct. I remember this story about a Georgia cop who was known as the Drug Whisperer. He won all types of awards for the number of MJ DUI's he got. Once some local reporters started digging, they found numerous people, that were stone-cold sober driving home after finishing the second shift at work, who were arrested bc of his "training and suspicion". It was all subjective, and I believe a lot of his cases were eventually thrown out.

It has also been found autopsy doctors may be much more subjective in their examinations than thought.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
All the more reason to research the effects in a public and peer reviewed manner. It’s my observation that the effects of alcohol are fairly well understood, so while people can be irresponsible, it’s also relatively easy to be informed. I still don’t know WTF weed does to the body or how long it lingers in the system. Also, there’s the “is that a skunk, or…?” That makes me wonder why the F anyone would want to smoke that. It sure isn’t for the flavor.

I guess the upside of the prevalence of MJ in our modern society is it’ll be all the easier to stand out as reliable and trustworthy. Not sure it’s worth the downside of a higher proportion of people being high all the time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agree to disagree, I guess. He has shown (at least publicly; perhaps his private thoughts are more informed) a high schooler's knowledge of foreign affairs and he personally decided to turn off Starlink in Ukraine because he didn't want the Russian fleet attacked. I don't think his drug use can be construed by anyone as a good thing when he wields this kind of power?

There's a difference between the antics of a person and the actual actions that person needs to get to the position in life he/she is at. I'm not a fan of Musk the person and his adolescent shit-fits, but from the 10K' foot view, his drug use has to be pretty low-impact if he is able to still maintain the daily requirements of running a business empire.

Then again, maybe his drug use is the reason the CyberTruck looks the way it does.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
There's a difference between the antics of a person and the actual actions that person needs to get to the position in life he/she is at. I'm not a fan of Musk the person and his adolescent shit-fits, but from the 10K' foot view, his drug use has to be pretty low-impact if he is able to still maintain the daily requirements of running a business empire.

Then again, maybe his drug use is the reason the CyberTruck looks the way it does.

I have a theory that management workload gets progressively harder as you move up the ladder... to a certain point. I believe someone like Musk, while he has worked hard in the past, is now so wealthy and powerful that he's more of a public figure and general policy setter when he has a whim (e.g. "buy Twitter"). As far as the day-to-day running of the "empire", he has people for that, who are the instruments of that policy. He's so far past the point of needing to work to live that there aren't really any reality checks on his every whim. He might still work hard out of habit, but he doesn't have to, most of the time.

For that reason, I think his drug use might have more deleterious effects than people realize, particularly those who are predisposed to worship the ground he walks. Who would dare tell the emperor he has no clothes? To say nothing of the example it sets.

number9

Contributor
I don't know much about rockets, I know a little bit about cars, and I know a lot about software development. The way he has run Twitter is an absolute shitshow, which is evident in its precipitous drop in value since he took over. Last I checked I think it has lost more than 75% of its value?

This made me laugh out loud :D

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Last I checked I think it has lost more than 75% of its value?
I’m kind of ambivalent when it comes to Musk, basically don’t care, but X (Twitter if you prefer) was due a significant tumble regardless - and everyone predicted this. Google slipped quite a bit from their high and Meta is suffering the same fate. Nature of the e-beast.

exNavyOffRec

There have been test done in WA where they observed the reaction times after using MJ and the effects are different based on a persons frequency of use, we still need a baseline as people continue to drive impaired because the can't make good decisions.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m kind of ambivalent when it comes to Musk, basically don’t care, but X (Twitter if you prefer) was due a significant tumble regardless - and everyone predicted this. Google slipped quite a bit from their high and Meta is suffering the same fate. Nature of the e-beast.

Meta and Alphabet are both near their all time highs while Twitter/X/DumpsterFire almost certainly is not, by any measure. While profit and valuation issues for Twitter were widely predicted I don't think the real-time trainwreck that is happening right now was what folks were thinking of when they made those forecasts before Musk bought it in 2022.

The irony behind his purchase is it is likely the result of him just trolling Twitter, possibly because they refused to ban the 'Elon Jet Tracker' account on the network. Unfortunately for him some contracts are indeed enforceable and a judge made him follow through on his purchase.