• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Musk has been a beneficiary of a sickening amount of U.S. taxpayer subsidies because of the environmental benefits of emissionless vehicles. Everything from EV tax credits to "free" charging networks. That, and a ridiculous amount of stock speculation in the 2010s.
It's groovy man, no worries. He's doing mind-altering stuff to the business world. Out of the box stuff. 😆

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's groovy man, no worries. He's doing mind-altering stuff to the business world. Out of the box stuff. 😆

The man is brilliant - truly brilliant. Probably the most influential genius in the last 500 years. In my heart of heart I truly believe this.

Our prosperity as a nation is best served by the US government continuing to do business with Elon Musk - and doubling down on him. We should want to create an environment, here in the good ole US of A where Mr. Musk can be the richest man on the planet and continue to innovate. If that means he can fly around in his G-V and cosplay and smoke weed and do ketamine and errupt at Burning Man why should we care? The value SpaceX and Tesla, The Boring Company, Starlink, etc. and everything else far outweighs any behavior he indulges in. America needs Mr. Musk I think.

Last edited:

Random8145

He's not going to fuck you, Chuck. This kind of thinking is how ordinary people like you become cult members. :D
IMO ChuckMK23 is largely correct. It isn't about being any cult member. Where it becomes cultish is if you hang on Musk's every word and think that all his opinions on things are correct. You can very much recognize his form of genius in terms of revitalizing America's space industry, advancing space launch technology, advancing satellite technology, and dragging the entire global automotive industry into adopting electric car technologies, while at the same time also recognizing how he is a total ignoramus and idiot in other ways.

A somewhat similar, but lesser example IMO, is Dr. Ben Carson. Among the absolute best, most brilliant in the world at pediatric neurosurgery. If you need someone to operate on your child's brain, he's among the best there is. Yet he believes the pyramids were grain silos (!) along with other absurd and ridiculous positions.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I'll give Musk this. At least there are no known paintings in his house of himself and Jesus. So, he's got that going for him.

images (5).jpeg

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
IMO ChuckMK23 is largely correct. It isn't about being any cult member. Where it becomes cultish is if you hang on Musk's every word and think that all his opinions on things are correct. You can very much recognize his form of genius in terms of revitalizing America's space industry, advancing space launch technology, advancing satellite technology, and dragging the entire global automotive industry into adopting electric car technologies, while at the same time also recognizing how he is a total ignoramus and idiot in other ways.

A somewhat similar, but lesser example IMO, is Dr. Ben Carson. Among the absolute best, most brilliant in the world at pediatric neurosurgery. If you need someone to operate on your child's brain, he's among the best there is. Yet he believes the pyramids were grain silos (!) along with other absurd and ridiculous positions.
Creative geniuses can also outlive their usefulness. Even if you pin the success of Tesla and SpaceX solely on one man, his antics are rapidly decreasing his credibility and usefulness. Plus the amount of power that one very unstable man has accrued is never good.

taxi1

pilot
The man is brilliant - truly brilliant. Probably the most influential genius in the last 500 years. In my heart of heart I truly believe this.

Our prosperity as a nation is best served by the US government continuing to do business with Elon Musk - and doubling down on him. We should want to create an environment, here in the good ole US of A where Mr. Musk can be the richest man on the planet and continue to innovate. If that means he can fly around in his G-V and cosplay and smoke weed and do ketamine and errupt at Burning Man why should we care? The value SpaceX and Tesla, The Boring Company, Starlink, etc. and everything else far outweighs any behavior he indulges in. America needs Mr. Musk I think.
I have to say, the new book out on Elon Musk is really interesting, definitely worth a read for anyone who aspires to doing big things. My sister wanted me to read it, I stiff-armed her on it because of Musk exhaustion, but then picked it up and started reading. Lots of interesting nuggets in there on things to do and things to not do. Good tech details on how Tesla, SpaceX, etc., have come together.

1704809110293.png

number9

Contributor
Matt Levine said it best in his column here. My favorite two paragraphs:

Bloomberg said:
Spiro’s non-denial1 comes from this Wall Street Journal story about how Elon Musk “has used LSD, cocaine, ecstasy and psychedelic mushrooms,” as well as using ketamine recreationally, that “his drug use is ongoing, especially his consumption of ketamine,” that people close to him “are concerned it could cause a health crisis,” and that “illegal drug use would likely be a violation of federal policies that could jeopardize SpaceX’s billions of dollars in government contracts.”

I actually doubt that last part? I feel like Elon Musk’s recent career is a long experiment to prove that, if you are successful enough, the regular laws do not apply to you. I assume that if Musk walked into the office of the secretary of defense and snorted a bag of coke in front of him, no government contracts would be canceled. “Do you want to send up your satellites on my good rockets, or do you want to enforce your rules about drug use by government contractors,” Musk is implicitly asking, and there is an obviously correct answer. Musk is too big to fail a drug test.

I have many thoughts on Elon Musk, and (despite being a Tesla owner) fewer and fewer of them are positive as time goes by.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...“his drug use is ongoing, especially his consumption of ketamine,” that people close to him “are concerned it could cause a health crisis,” and that “illegal drug use would likely be a violation of federal policies that could jeopardize SpaceX’s billions of dollars in government contracts.”

I actually doubt that last part? I feel like Elon Musk’s recent career is a long experiment to prove that, if you are successful enough, the regular laws do not apply to you. I assume that if Musk walked into the office of the secretary of defense and snorted a bag of coke in front of him, no government contracts would be canceled.
“Do you want to send up your satellites on my good rockets, or do you want to enforce your rules about drug use by government contractors,” Musk is implicitly asking, and there is an obviously correct answer. Musk is too big to fail a drug test.

I find that amusing, Space X is much bigger than one man now and has been for a while. Worst case scenario is the government keeps the contracts but Musk is no longer in charge of Space X. Do I think it'll happen? Unlikely, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm just baffled we're still worried about individuals using psychotropics when they can be extremely beneficial when used responsibly and in a controlled manner.

The WSJ article kind of sounds like a calculated hit-piece.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Creative geniuses can also outlive their usefulness. Even if you pin the success of Tesla and SpaceX solely on one man, his antics are rapidly decreasing his credibility and usefulness. Plus the amount of power that one very unstable man has accrued is never good.
Fair point.