• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

magnetfreezer

...if anyone is considering getting a gun for protection I will have to agree with the others make sure you check all your state laws first so you know what you can and cant do. Also make sure all of your paper work is 100% in order cause the police are going to check into it and the gun better be in your name.

Sorry for your loss. Hope they catch them.

That said, according to http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ALSL.pdf the only type of permits required in AL are for concealed carry which you weren't doing. In most states following US constitutional guidance, you don't need any type of paperwork to possess a gun. The only thing tying many people's guns to their name is the name on the mailbox where the guns are stored. If people are buying for protection and need a good resource for checking the laws, the parent site of the above PDF (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/) has good summary sheets of the laws for each state.

N9148Q

Contributor
Magnetfreezer thanks for the web sites. Ya I think the cop that came was having a bad day and really doesnt like dealing with people that are armed. He was not friendly at all but I suppose hes used to normaly dealing with less perfect citizens since he just came from busting up a meth house. He may have just been trying to make a point ethier way still going to keep my guns and still going to protect myself if needed.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
The cop was a jackass, If you wanna walk around your house with a shotgun hang'n out, then he can STFU. (y'know provided you put it down when he tells you to)

That being said, it's good to know the laws for your state and the best way to do this is to use the sites provided above and do a little research, finding a similar situation with a ruling as precedent will help you understand better what would happen then leagalease. When it comes down to it though, life in prison, is still life.

Better to be judged by 12 yada yada..

N9148Q

Contributor
Yet Again

Well came home from work today only to find that I have been robbed for the second time in a week. After the first robbery I beefed up all the locks on the house added deadbolts to the doors and made sure all the windows could not be forcefully opened unless the glass was broken out. Well seems the perp must have had atleast a friend or 2 with him this time because they made off with all kinds of things including all my tools which were in one of those big kobalt tool boxes and a table saw and some other large items. The item that I am really suprised they took was a bible. Who steals a bible? Im not the most religous guy but sersiouly who does that.

N9148Q

Contributor
They took the sliding glass door out. It looks like the were able to get a pry bar under the door and lift it enough to get it off the track and pull the whole thing out. The garage they broke 2 padlocks off the door and then promptly went shopping through my belogings. Very frustrating! :icon_rage I used to be a builder so I called in a favor and my old security guy is coming over in the morning to install cameras around the house wish I had done that the first time maybe I could have caught them or atleast got a car tag number.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I feel for ya man. I would be enraged. Hang in there, hope things work out for the best for you.

N9148Q

Contributor
I am begining to feel like it is little Harlem now. I live in Huntsville Al. and the place live is a nice quite street and until I moved in virtualy no crime. The other neighborhoods around mine are all middle class and high end places too so its not like I live next to the projects.

Well the cameras are being installed at this very moment!!! If I get the guy Ill post video! :D

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have a couple of those motion detector cameras, also tied to motion detector lights. I've been lucky and not broken into...but, those cameras (mine have a storage card thing) let you see whatever trips the detector...skunks, coyotes, dogs, etc.

mwardakpsi

Get money, get paid!!!
None
San Diego Burglaries

My house and my neighboorhood have recently been the subject of a burglary spree in SD. The police informed me of the standard routine of these guys. I figured it would be worth sharing the knowledge with the group, so that those that live in the area can take the right precautions.

99.9% of the breakins are occuring during the hours of 0900-1100. The suspects are parking on the street and observing the personal behaviors of the residents for several days prior. They break in through the rear of the house, while there is a spotter in the car on the street out front. They're in and out in less than 3 minutes, which is not enough time for the police to respond if you have an alarm.

There are a few places throughout the house that are always searched. Say goodbye to anything in your dressers, nightstands, closets, and desks. Although they're only interested in what they can sell at a swap meet or on the street (jewelry/watches, money, and computers from all the houses), they've exhibited a few stranger behaviors. Shoes and clothes have been stolen, but passports and other identity documents have not. A few document fire safes have been taken to be opened later.

The one place that was pointed out as a safer place to hide something was the intake vent for the air conditioner. When they're in and out very quickly, they really don't have time to get a screwdriver and open it up for just a chance of finding something.

It is a good opportunity to look around the house and see what personal documents and valuable items are around in plain sight before you find out the hard way. If you hide anything, hide it well...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I have a couple of those motion detector cameras... let you see whatever trips the detector...skunks, coyotes, dogs, etc.

That they do! This picture was sent to me by a friend near Del Rio, TX.

(@N9148Q, sorry about your crappy luck man.)

Attachments

• CDY_0373.jpg
    CDY_0373.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 112

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Hey Nick, hopefully you are done with OCS, as our wager has run it's course. As they say in poker, Texas has "the nuts" at 12-0.

Texas sure does and check is in the mail! Well done Texas.

I am actually hoping Texas wins the BCSNC as I despise both of the SEC teams.

E26

ryan1234 said:
b) shoot 'em and just sprinkle some crack on 'em.

Works 60% of the time, everytime :D

You can always place a couple of these babies 'round the main entrance points. They have less lethal ones that fire a wall of rubber balls. Watch Jackass for more info .

claymore.jpg

OscarMyers

None
I love how this thread went from home defense to body disposal, I guess it would be the natural progression of events, either that or the law. Id say body disposal would be the easier of the two so as not to get sued by the criminal who sprained his ankle while jumping in your kitchen window.

I say let them swim with the fishes.