• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
God damn that guy has guts. Good on him. Stucks that a girl was injured in the cross fire, but she's alive and not raped - that's a win in my book.

Call my cynical though, I bet the kid get sued by the girl's family and the dead guy's family.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
We wuz robbed again.....so it's time for some artillery

For the second time in two months, my house got robbed. I am now seriously looking into buying a gun because I don't know if this guy is packing or not; and I do not want to have a nice confrontation without something to back me up if necessary.

I have never owned a gun or even looked into the process, so forgive my ignorance on this topic if you will. Are the standards for buying a handgun controlled by the state or nationally? Can you just go buy a gun at a gun show or do you have to apply for a permit before the purchase?

Thanks

Nick

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
do a google search, or check the NRA's website for your states gun laws. you will have to undergo a federal background check to buy a handgun.

That being said, just going out and getting a gun because you want one to protect yourself is a terrrrrrible idea. It's great to have something to defend yourself, ( or in this case, your property), but if you don't make the investment in time and money to learn how to use it properly, and learn the possible legal ramifications of using a handgun to protect yourself you could end up with a way bigger headache than just some missing stuff.

Check for a local NRA sanctioned handgun safety course, as well as a home defense course with a NRA certified pistol instructor. They're well worth the investment.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
They didn't get your salty ensign bars did they??? Sounds like south campus to me... move north. Poison a hot Catfish Biff's pizza for the bastards next time.

Unfortunelly, the cops don't give a damn anywhere near campus... Bear traps, maim em, then look for one legged guilty assholes limping, then irradicate with much glee.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
For the second time in two months, my house got robbed. I am now seriously looking into buying a gun because I don't know if this guy is packing or not; and I do not want to have a nice confrontation without something to back me up if necessary.

Are the standards for buying a handgun controlled by the state or nationally? By the state, and standards differ greatly. Florida, for example, is 'shall issue' for concealed weapons, California requires you to convince the local PD that you need one.

Can you just go buy a gun at a gun show or do you have to apply for a permit before the purchase? Again, standards differ greatly.

Thanks

Nick

What your best bet is, go to a nearby gun store and ask the guy there. It's his business to know exactly what you can and can't have, and how to go about getting it. Unless a guy/girl here lives in your state and has been through the process himself.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I'd buy a dog first....and you gotta have some obstacles, interlocking field's of fire...you know...the standard.

Bevo16

pilot
It's almost football season. Sounds like the Ohio State fans are looking for a couch to burn.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
They didn't get your salty ensign bars did they??? Sounds like south campus to me... move north. Poison a hot Catfish Biff's pizza for the bastards next time.

Unfortunelly, the cops don't give a damn anywhere near campus... Bear traps, maim em, then look for one legged guilty assholes limping, then irradicate with much glee.

North Campus actually....

Hubble

Hey nzach - gonna take this on an entirely different tack here. If you've never owned a firearm before, and (presumably) have not spent too much time around one, I'd suggest you avoid starting off with a pistol. They're really handy, compact, and sexy, but they take a lot of work to get good with, and regular practice to stay proficient. The handy and compact aspects also make it easy to do something stupid, like shoot yourself.

If you're looking for a home defense firearm, I would encourage you to look into a shotgun. They are simple, easy to use, VERY effective at ranges under 50 yds (second only to something like a flamethrower), and scare the (insert expletive of choice here) outta bad guys.
I'm partial to Mossberg pumps, which I've shot most of my life (I'm a lefty, safety is on top), but the tried-and-true Remington 870 is a no-brainer solution. I'd stay away from automatics, which are more complicated, and more expensive. A good Mossberg 590 / Remington 870 will set you back about 300-500 bucks, IF you go for some fancy tatical rig.
I suggest getting a regular hunting-style gun, with a spare barrel that has rifle / night sights and an open / cylinder choke. That way you can actually use it for hunting if you ever get into it, while still having a home defense firearm that can put 4-6 rounds downrange right-quick.

That's probably more than you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

I have never owned a gun or even looked into the process, so forgive my ignorance on this topic if you will. Are the standards for buying a handgun controlled by the state or nationally? Can you just go buy a gun at a gun show or do you have to apply for a permit before the purchase?

Thanks

Nick

Im usually all for people buying guns, but consider this...

Were you home when you got robbed? If you weren't, dont you think that having a gun in the house would be just one more high value item that would be stolen in a future break in?

Consider getting a German Shepherd. Dogs are mankind's oldest theft deterrent device.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey nzach - gonna take this on an entirely different tack here. If you've never owned a firearm before, and (presumably) have not spent too much time around one, I'd suggest you avoid starting off with a pistol. They're really handy, compact, and sexy, but they take a lot of work to get good with, and regular practice to stay proficient. The handy and compact aspects also make it easy to do something stupid, like shoot yourself.

If you're looking for a home defense firearm, I would encourage you to look into a shotgun. They are simple, easy to use, VERY effective at ranges under 50 yds (second only to something like a flamethrower), and scare the (insert expletive of choice here) outta bad guys.
I'm partial to Mossberg pumps, which I've shot most of my life (I'm a lefty, safety is on top), but the tried-and-true Remington 870 is a no-brainer solution. I'd stay away from automatics, which are more complicated, and more expensive. A good Mossberg 590 / Remington 870 will set you back about 300-500 bucks, IF you go for some fancy tatical rig.
I suggest getting a regular hunting-style gun, with a spare barrel that has rifle / night sights and an open / cylinder choke. That way you can actually use it for hunting if you ever get into it, while still having a home defense firearm that can put 4-6 rounds downrange right-quick.

That's probably more than you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

+1. Shotguns are the creme de la creme for home defense.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The ultimate home defense weapon:

benellim1entry5hx.jpg

Point and shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot. No pumping required.

Dogs are great, but they are way more expensive than a firearm. And please get a gun safe so you can lock your shotgun up when you're not home.