• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected for NFO, wanted SNA...what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phiman

Last I heard it was NFO - 6 years postwinging, NA(Helos/Props) - 7 years postwinging, and NA (Jets) - 8 years postwinging. Could be bad gouge though.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although it sounds like Miramar has his answer, I have to jump in. SNFO to SNA is so rare I believe it to be near mythical. I haven't seen it and I have been in this business for a long time. Nothing wrong with waiting and applying again, if pilot is truely all you want to do. A recruiter that tries to push you into NFO with a promise to switch is doing no one a favor. I bet I could sell Miramar on NFO without the false promise of SNFO to SNA switcharoo, but it isn't what he wants. I'm not in that business. Heck, I wasn't in that business when Uncle Sam paid me to recruit for real. Just realize that when you turn down an offer of a commission in the US Navy, there is no gurantee you will get another shot at it. You best be prepared to explain why you passed up the offer the first time when you reapply. Good Luck all.

shipwreck

Congratulations on SNFO. In short, group of Naval Officers looked at your application and selected you. They obviously think that you have potential to be one of the guys/gals in the club. Someone else in here said the same thing in the past and that person hit the nail on the head. Take this (your selection) as huge compliment. Wink is right. Think long and hard about what you want to do but don’t take to long because you don’t want to pass up a great thing. A lot of guys would sell their grandmother to get selected for anything right now.

Jazz

I was in the exact same situation in July 2002. I applied for NA and NFO was my secondary choice. I was told by my recruiter that it would take a while to hear back from the board. However, it only took three days to find out that I had been accepted NFO. At first I was really disappointed, and my recruiter was pushing for me to send in my acceptance and swear in. I thought it was kind of odd but I talked to many people including an NFO CDR who told me if he had it all to do over again there's no way he would change anything. I don't have any experience yet but I accepted the NFO and I am very excited to get started on a Naval career. My advice is to talk to people other than your recruiter and just let things soak in. Anything in Avaiation is going to be a blast. And you never know, the board might have seen something in your application that leads them to think you will make a better NFO than Pilot. Good Luck

Undertow

If I get picked up for this FY for STA-21 SNA or NFO I would be so happy that nothing could spoil my mood. Take what you can get man, life is too damn short to decide what you want to do. Before you know it you'll be 25 and asking yourself why the hell you didn't just take the NFO seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.