• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected for NFO, wanted SNA...what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramar

I just found out today that I was fortunate enough to be selected for a NFO slot through the BDCP. However, I was really shooting for pilot, and I am curious if anyone has any suggestions for the best possible way to get that NFO switched to SNA. Should I resubmit an entirely new application with all the flight time I've been accumulating this summer (which I didn't have when I submitted my first application) and maybe try to improve my ASTB scores?

OR...my recruiter suggested that in his opinion I would have a better chance if I just accepted NFO and then tried to get pilot once I was already committed to the Navy. He tried to emphasize that an applicant would have a better chance applying from within the Navy. True/false??

I’m having mixed feelings about this whole thing, so any help would be great. Thanks.

heerothewizard

I'm not sure what you should do, but I have heard that switching once you have already started training is difficult and unlikely-the Navy has just spent lots of money and time training you to be a NFO, they're not about to let all of that go and pay more time/money to train you as a NA instead.
just my 2 cents

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

NavyLonghorn

Your recruiter is BSing you. Once you have commited to NFO, from every account ive recieved, its really really hard to get pilot. No way I would commit to a designator I didnt want. That seems like a great way to be unhappy.

savingthisone

batman_125.gif
Have been told that advice is worth what you pay for it, so mine costs nothing so it is therefore worth nothing. Only you can decide. If you are not first interested in serving in the Navy and second interested in aviation, you should think about it long and hard if it is the other way around.

A. Would not accept NFO if i had no interest in being an NFO. You would be miserable.

B. Highly unlikely that resubmission for NA would work. Flight time, i think, would have little impact on your total package. You would be required to complete IFS unlcess you completed your solo cross country.

C. There is no way you can change from NFO to NA. They just are not going to let you do it.

Wish i could be a bit more positive.

NuSnake

Hey Pat, your newly out so youll prolly know this...

for IFS, what is the minimum someone can have and the Navy will give them a No Go on IFS, is it a PPL or just certain aspects of getting it. Thanks.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm only posting what I've read elsewhere on the forum, but take it for what it's worth. I have heard (read) that making the transition from SNFO to SNA is much easier if you can do it BEFORE or during OCS. I think the Navy would be unlikely to give you a new designator after they've spent the big bucks to get you trained as an NFO. It would be different if pilots were in a shortage, but right now they are getting many more applications than they have spots for. Hence the difficulty of getting the coveted SNA spot. Like others have said already, DON'T take the deal if you'd be unhappy as an NFO. Make sure you know what you agree to befor you swear in. Godd luck.

Rob_ERAU

Hey Miramar, Did you pass the SNA vision test and stuff? I hear of people who wanted to be a SNA but end up SNFO because of his/her vision. I guess that would be the major reason why most hopeful SNA's get SNFO. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Robby Volack

savingthisone

Prospective SNFO's that hold a recreational or private pilot certificate are not eligble for IFS. Also, if you have completed a solo cross country flight in a civilian aircraft you are not eligble.

Otherwise, completion of IFS is a requirement for SNFO's API, cutoff date for full implementation is not known by me.

Miramar

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, I passed all my vision tests and what not, I just didn't have the package to get NA I guess. My recruiter is trying to push NFO, but I think I'll just reapply for NA since I still have a couple years of school before I would go in anyway. Hopefully a little more flight time on a new application will do the trick. Thanks again.

NavyLonghorn

My recruiter asked me if It was o.k. to submit my package to the NFO board and NA board.. I politely declined. Seems shady to me.

sailorgloom

Quotas are closely in line with the fiscal quarters and years. If you qualify for NA and want NA, tell your recruiter you will wait until the next fiscal quarter or even next fiscal year for an NA slot. Don't sign up for something you don't want. There is a 6 year commitment!

-SG

Status
Not open for further replies.