• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking DCO for Intel/IWO

How were your interviews? Any tips? I am doing mine this weekend.

I am also having issues getting medically cleared. I had a few minor routine surgeries in my past and MEPS wants before, during, and after documentation on all of them! Including a surgery I had when I was 6. I am going to have some civilian docs write me letters of clearance tomorrow and just hope that is enough to get me to MEPS.

I am trying to prepare for my interviews this weekend and need some help. Can somebody help me come up with the official descriptions and differences between the IW, IP, and Intel designators? My current believe is that IW is more on the "hacking" side of the house, IP is on the "IT Operations" side of the house, and Intel is big picture. Does that sound about right?

Also, any other topics that you shipmates who have gone through this before think I should study would be greatly appreciated...

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am trying to prepare for my interviews this weekend and need some help. Can somebody help me come up with the official descriptions and differences between the IW, IP, and Intel designators? My current believe is that IW is more on the "hacking" side of the house, IP is on the "IT Operations" side of the house, and Intel is big picture. Does that sound about right?

IW
- More strategic
- ELINT/SIGINT/CYBER
- Vast majority of IW officers are prior-enlisted CT's
- PQS/qualification process is very strict and follows active duty IW's. That is, there is no Reserve version

IP
- More tactical
- Combat systems/network comms/C2/CYBER
- About 220 IP Officers in the entire Navy Reserve
- Most, if not all IP officers are very experienced and working in the IT community in their civilian jobs

Northshore

I am also having issues getting medically cleared. I had a few minor routine surgeries in my past and MEPS wants before, during, and after documentation on all of them! Including a surgery I had when I was 6. I am going to have some civilian docs write me letters of clearance tomorrow and just hope that is enough to get me to MEPS.

My interviews went very well and I was recommended by the panel that I was subjected to...unfortunately I'm running into a snag with MEPs. In short, the interview will not be technical. They are much more interested in your personality, leadership ability, and can do attitude. They will also be concerned if you are seeking DCO in say IP and your professional background is say in Nursing. If that is your intention you probably won't make it far. I was recommended for IP since I have 15+ years in I.T. so it doesn't exactly apply for Intel and I'm ok with that.

Northshore

Yes...you are going through the same thing as I am. If your recruiter hasn't already encouraged you...I would obtain a secondary opinion to remove any sense of doubt. I'm in the process of doing that so I can re-submit for a second MEP READ. Also, with the recent cuts and possibly upcoming cuts for defense spending it's even harder to get in. My active duty family has mentioned folks are receiving early retirement packages. Unfortunately, for recruiters I believe they are placed in a pickle between well qualified applicants and even stricter MEPs requirements.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I was recommended for IP since I have 15+ years in I.T. so it doesn't exactly apply for Intel and I'm ok with that.
I had the same number of years in IT (software/systems engineering) when I applied and was not competitive for IP because I did not have stacks of certifications and fancy IT degrees.

Being selected for IP is brutally difficult only because of the # slots available (less than 10 each year I recall) as compared to the # of overly-qualified people applying with said stacks of certifications and fancy IT degrees.

I was selected for Intel, got qualified (IDWO pin, Intel PQS), and recently re-designated to IP. Re-designating to IP was easy in that there is no formal "Board" and packages are reviewed when received. You are looked at from the perspective of "will this person succeed in the IP community". It is a completely different perspective and process.

If you do choose this route, succeed and get qualified in whatever designator you are commissioned in, and then drop your re-designation package.

Take whatever commission you can get. Get your foot in the door.

Northshore

I realize this is an old thread but I'm bumping this to update status. I've spent the past year working out like crazy, changing my diet, etc. Fast foward to the present and I have resbumitted the 2807-2, new medical letters indicating I no longer need medication, Level of Activity Statement, etc. Lets see what happens during this round....

Northshore

How'd MEPS go?

Completed MEPS today. The good news? No DQ. The bad news, I will be scheduled to visit a Navy ortho doc for further evaluation on a fracture I suffered back in 2008 even though I have a waiver for it. From what I was told by the recruiter this is expected. It's still a step in the right direction. If you have questions post or message me. Edit: I will continue to update this thread as the process moves along....

Hey guys, I just thought I would update my status as well... Everything is in and I am just waiting on my COMDOCS now.. Recruiter says any day now but definitely by the end of the month. I sure hope so because I already have orders to go to the IDWO Academy the first week of June.

Northshore

A million days later I have my ortho appointment. Have to go in for a x-ray and then consult the following day.

Reactions: m26